any body been to rayong or chanchaburi. is it like pattaya

yogi yogi

2 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

i dont go to karaoke joints .  sorry. i like peace and quiet just like the majority of thais do

well I think you should. then you'll see that this regular Thailand you speak of ain't quite so regular after all.

7 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Take a black light and walk around at night and you will see 'seedy' all over Pattaya....

Indoors and out.

I guess you don't have any Thai male friends then? the Thai scene is a thousand times bigger than what you see in Patts, it's just hidden to save face.

6 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I guess you don't have any Thai male friends then? the Thai scene is a thousand times bigger than what you see in Patts, it's just hidden to save face.

Does one need to go to graduate school to be so presumptuous, or can one be self-taught?

Give me your home address and I will send you ฿10, to buy a starter kit containing a sense of humor.

32 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Does one need to go to graduate school to be so presumptuous, or can one be self-taught?

Give me your home address and I will send you ฿10, to buy a starter kit containing a sense of humor.

yikes, you're a snarky one aren't you? ????

mate I got the joke, just didn't think it was all that funny. been done too many times before. as for sending me money, I only accept cryptocurrency. fiat is for old people lol. you can send me Liitecoin here (it has the lowest fees):

LMJoGHsrmKhacuMXvB5QQ3cd6j4NstXWJ3

1 hour ago, yogi yogi said:

maybe for you.  and other strangers u speak for .  not me  

That was meant humorously, as recognised by the other poster who responded. And as you will see if you read his post, which follows from mine. 

1 hour ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Take a black light and walk around at night and you will see 'seedy' all over Pattaya....

Indoors and out.

Post the video showing this. 

When I've been going home at curfew time everywhere is silent, shuttered and in darkness. 

• Confused 1

On 10/28/2021 at 7:04 AM, yogi yogi said:

ive seen videos of lots of lady boys and bars ( i dont drink)  and the signs everywhere on the street advertizing bars and go go places.  i like to look at birds and trees.  plus pattaya attracts a seedier crowd   looking for all those bars?  im just into exercise and quiet...........but to be fair im hearing thier is a nice part of pattaya "???? 

You just have to come to Pattaya City and check it out…some good and some bad just like Most dots in the road…????????????????

B6B499FE-B247-4100-8914-A216401965A1.jpeg

9 hours ago, rott said:

Post the video showing this. 

When I've been going home at curfew time everywhere is silent, shuttered and in darkness. 

It was putative.....

Sort of like your sense of humor.

(Had to look up putative, didn't you?)

20 hours ago, yogi yogi said:

im only stating what i have seen online.  especially the pics of dirty streets with bar signs as far as the eye can see.  and over the past years. alot of crazy  stories have originated from pattaya.  drugs and theft and etc.  ive never been their so i dont know ,  but the press has been bad about pattaya for many years. 

My mrs comes from Chantaburi, yes it's quiet, but having her family living there makes a big difference, there is usually more than enough to keep me occupied, but having said that it is a typical thai town/city they have as many murders & nutters there as we do in Pattaya, infact look at anywhere in Thailand, the whole country appears to be a basket case, stop being so picky.

• Like 1

Well, I live in Ban Chang and it's not as bad as some describe.  It is quiet and does have a few nice beaches although some are not cleaned as well as the more touristy places.  It has many nice restaurants, is more or less central to dozens of golf courses, a 20-30 minute drive to Rayong and Pattaya.  There are bars but due to current COVID restrictions they are closed.  KC would be Koh Chang, an island accessed by ferry from Trat.  Certainly at this time it is quiet, nice beaches and many resorts with pools.  I have a booking there for late January when my wife and I will be SCUBA diving there.  Yes, Rayong is more of an industrial area but it also has some nice beaches and restaurants.  Chantaburi could also be an option.  The main attraction for many would be the gem and jewelry businesses.  It does have some nice beaches.  Pattaya is a shadow of its former self.  Yes there are many open air bars  along Beach Road and 2nd road (closed now due to COVID restrictions) and the small sois that join them.  Pattaya is in the process of being redesigned into a more family orientated destination.  It may be your best place for numerous and trendy upscale restaurants as well as the smaller Thai restaurants and street vendors.  The beaches are well kept but during the rainy season run off from higher elevations make the water more brownish then blue.  The choices for you abound and you have been given some good recommendations on this forum.  Remember, right now there are still some COVID restrictions in place although Thailand is in the process of reopening many areas especially those catering to tourists.  Good luck on your plans for a nice holiday here.   

12 hours ago, yogi yogi said:

i dont go to karaoke joints .  sorry. i like peace and quiet just like the majority of thais do

Have a look at this video as a taster of what the Darkside is all about, then do a search on You Tube for similar videos, ignore the ones showing the few bars on Khao Noi, Khao Talo etc, this one gives a feeling for the real Darkside.

https://youtu.be/6cHjsKBaBF0

On 10/28/2021 at 7:14 AM, Jeffr2 said:

Trat is pretty cool.  Especially the Weekend market, that is now just Sunday's due to covid.  Nice city, easy to walk around, it's OK.  We stayed here and liked it.

https://goo.gl/maps/Q6HM9qXrDZeW5xw7A

Chanthaburi is also pretty cool.  Especially if you stay in this area.  Lots of coffee shops and restaurants on the river.  It's OK.

https://goo.gl/maps/LaC1h4cYRroagRjPA

Not far from there is Chao Lao Beach.  Quite a nice beach and quiet area.

https://goo.gl/maps/4RL2HXW5ptwpYgAX8

Rayong is a pretty big city.  Not sure you'd like it.  But nearby are some nice places.  The beaches in Ban Chang, Laem Mae Phim, etc.  The latter has some nice restaurants on the sea, cheap hotels across the street.  Very quite. 

Laem Mae Phim best seafood in Thailand

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeijoshinCool said:

It was putative.....

Sort of like your sense of humor.

(Had to look up putative, didn't you?)

I suppose that's one way of admitting that you don't know what you're talking about. Sad really. Like yogi yogi. 

• Confused 1

Been to both. Depends on what you're going for or looking for. Neither was similar to Pattaya IMO. 

Went to Rayong 7 years ago with gf and stayed at a nice hotel with beautiful big swimming pool and just across from the beach. Sleepy beach town. It was splendid. Almost no tourists and beach was vacant. Traffic on beach road was extremely light. Almost none. We had a very nice time. Some good restaurants too.

Chantaburi is a nice town. Clean and upscale. Pretty place. Not much on nightlife, but some good dining and hotels. Went 14 years ago, but friend still lives there and says it hasn't changed much. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/1/2021 at 1:18 AM, Lemsta69 said:

the 'bad press' is written by puritans who think that everybody must adhere to their strict moral code. because Pattaya never tried to hide what it was it is of course a natural target for this type of stuff. 

puritans are very quick to judge other people's actions but neglect their own.

eg. they get all hot and bothered because some farang dude paid a girl 500 baht for a good time. yet they stay in corporate-run hotels, shop at big chain stores, don't tip, and whine about the cost of noodle soup ("it should be 20 baht, 30 baht is too expensive"). thereby condemning the mom-and-pop type establishments to a life of relative poverty.

a lot of dudes who go to Pattaya spend a <deleted> ton of money. I've been in bars where dudes are spending money like it's water. that was in the good old days when the place was pumping but the point is that they funneled a massive amount of money into the local economy. and that's just in the bars, never mind all the money that the demimondaines received directly as one-offs or over longer periods of time. 

I think if you're genuinely interested in seeing how Thailand works then you'll visit Pattaya and have a bit of a look around. some say it's not the 'real' Thailand but I argue that it is quintessentially Thai. savvy business people created an adult playground by the sea out of a quiet fishing village. gave the customers what they wanted, which Thais are actually pretty good at despite the naysayers, and everybody's happy except the moralists. 

#Pattaya4Life lol

On 10/31/2021 at 10:48 AM, internationalism said:

bars, shops, massage, restaurants, gyms, markets are everywhere.

Within 5 minutes walk.

Bars can be right on the beach, next to you guesthouse.

Same as restaurants.

If you really don't wan't to move much, get room just right above bar.

get a room right above bar.  = nightmare

I would tend to ignore those slagging Rayong.  Rayong is an area, not just the city and if you search around, you'll find a lot of things to do and some beautiful scenery.  Chantaburi also had a lot of hidden gems and some great beaches but they can be difficult to find - locals know them.

A few years back I set off on a tour of the eastern coast and surrounding areas with no plan - other than a basic end destination, Koh Kood, I travelled from Bangkok to Rayong, spent the first night on Koh Samet then moved slowly down the coast (with a few trips inland) over the next few days - eventually heading over to Koh Chang and Koh Kood.  I thoroughly enjoyed all of it.

If you don't speak Thai, stick to the main routes but you will miss out on a lot of things worth seeing.  The further south-east you go and away from the main routes, the more of a handicap the language barrier will become.

On 10/28/2021 at 1:27 AM, Pravda said:

Anybody know the name?

The clue is in my name. 15 minutes from my house. A lot of people say its not far from Bangkok but I don't think a 2.5 hour drive (on a good day) fits with the 'not too far' category.

Edited by KhaoYai

23 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Been to both. Depends on what you're going for or looking for. Neither was similar to Pattaya IMO. 

Went to Rayong 7 years ago with gf and stayed at a nice hotel with beautiful big swimming pool and just across from the beach. Sleepy beach town. It was splendid. Almost no tourists and beach was vacant. Traffic on beach road was extremely light. Almost none. We had a very nice time. Some good restaurants too.

Chantaburi is a nice town. Clean and upscale. Pretty place. Not much on nightlife, but some good dining and hotels. Went 14 years ago, but friend still lives there and says it hasn't changed much. 

isnt a covid out break currently in that area.  should i wait to go?  maybe my best idea is go ranong first and stay a few days and then go to chantaburi after that.  which city has more gyms and massage ?  and i think chantaburi is inland but easy to get on moto and go to beach area? not far

On 11/1/2021 at 1:18 AM, Lemsta69 said:

the 'bad press' is written by puritans who think that everybody must adhere to their strict moral code. because Pattaya never tried to hide what it was it is of course a natural target for this type of stuff. 

puritans are very quick to judge other people's actions but neglect their own.

eg. they get all hot and bothered because some farang dude paid a girl 500 baht for a good time. yet they stay in corporate-run hotels, shop at big chain stores, don't tip, and whine about the cost of noodle soup ("it should be 20 baht, 30 baht is too expensive"). thereby condemning the mom-and-pop type establishments to a life of relative poverty.

a lot of dudes who go to Pattaya spend a <deleted> ton of money. I've been in bars where dudes are spending money like it's water. that was in the good old days when the place was pumping but the point is that they funneled a massive amount of money into the local economy. and that's just in the bars, never mind all the money that the demimondaines received directly as one-offs or over longer periods of time. 

I think if you're genuinely interested in seeing how Thailand works then you'll visit Pattaya and have a bit of a look around. some say it's not the 'real' Thailand but I argue that it is quintessentially Thai. savvy business people created an adult playground by the sea out of a quiet fishing village. gave the customers what they wanted, which Thais are actually pretty good at despite the naysayers, and everybody's happy except the moralists. 

#Pattaya4Life lol

this thread is about avoiding pattaya not going thier

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

isnt a covid out break currently in that area.  should i wait to go?  maybe my best idea is go ranong first and stay a few days and then go to chantaburi after that.  which city has more gyms and massage ?  and i think chantaburi is inland but easy to get on moto and go to beach area? not far

The best beach near Chantaburi is Chao Lao. A very long way by scooter.

Covid is all over Thailand. Kinda hard to avoid it. Just make sure you are vaccinated and follow the safety guidelines.

5 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

The best beach near Chantaburi is Chao Lao. A very long way by scooter.

Covid is all over Thailand. Kinda hard to avoid it. Just make sure you are vaccinated and follow the safety guidelines.

i like to do  beach running,   i googled your chao lao beach it dont look any further from the city than ao nang is from krabi town.   and it looks like a beach is straight below chantaburi that is even closer.  i dont swim , i beach run,.  need long flat beach,  not sloping.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

i like to do  beach running,   i googled your chao lao beach it dont look any further from the city than ao nang is from krabi town.   and it looks like a beach is straight below chantaburi that is even closer.  i dont swim , i beach run,.  need long flat beach,  not sloping.  

Not too bad. About 40km. Our experience is that the beach closest to chantaburi isn't very nice. Kinda a mud flat.

Depends on where you are in krabi!

Edited by Jeffr2

10 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

Run along the waters edge, its usually flat there! ????

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Olmate said:

Run along the waters edge, its usually flat there! ????

yea i know that but some beaches are flatter and longer than others.  vietnam has many very long flat beaches i look for some in thailand too.  not for swimming just for walking .  its quite relaxing