any body been to rayong or chanchaburi. is it like pattaya

yogi yogi

3 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

in nov and dec.  some places get more rain than others .  bkk for instance gets less rain than hat yai.  in nov and dec. that is why im asking about rain as krabi will get less rain than surat thani in nov and dec.  i could look it up as you suggest but i thought boots on the ground might know more about this than a computer program....................what is kc?

Koh Chang=kc

Rainy season is about finished end of November. Absolutely perfect weather after that.

• Like 2

Just now, steve187 said:

try koh chang, peaceful and at the moment quiet, lots of nice places along the coast from rayong to koh chang 

hmmm. i will look at koh chang i will see if thier is a city thier or if everything is spread out.  i like to find a gym some massage and veg restaurant .   and a main food market.  that is why i tend to go to cities.  on islands things tend to be spread out

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

Koh Chang=kc

Rainy season is about finished end of November. Absolutely perfect weather after that.

im googling kc.  i need to make a note about traveling to citys in thailand being a farang that only speaks english .  thier are tourist citys and thai citys.  kc looks like a tourist area so the locals more apt to speak english .  and more chance i will find restaurants that i like , etc.  like easy moto rental and western catered massage and gyms.    that is a plus.  like i said ive been going to thammarat in the past (pre pandemic) and i liked the people thier.  as not many tourists,   but not many locals speaking english thier and restaurants that cater to westerners are lacking..........but i found really good massage places in thammarat.  versus krabi, in krabi it got hard finding decent massage.  kc might me worth a trip.  and now since pandemic this might be a good time to try places that have been overrun by tourists in the past as droves of tourists might not be thier at moment

im also curious about cities that might have good vegetarian restaurants.  some places like krabi and thammarat have no good veg restaurants. but my limited travels in thailand have found that chaing mai,  samui,   kpy,  have a bunch of very good veg restuarants.  i wonder if im  missing a city for that.  

12 hours ago, yogi yogi said:

hmmm. i will look at koh chang i will see if thier is a city thier or if everything is spread out.  i like to find a gym some massage and veg restaurant .   and a main food market.  that is why i tend to go to cities.  on islands things tend to be spread out

no city, but the 2 sides are different, west side is busy with resorts spread out the whole length, with some noisy beaches and some quieter, the east coast is more rural and resorts are spread out, some healthy resorts with no tv's etc, to get from one side to the other you have to pass the piers where the ferries land, you can not drive all the way around the island, have a look here - iamkohchang  lots of information

13 hours ago, yogi yogi said:

The biggest "city" would be White Sands Beach.  Outside that, especially right now, things are really hit and miss with regards to restaurants, massages, etc.  We normally stay in Kaibae as it's quieter.  But as wifey said yesterday, if the ONE 7/11 closes, we'd be screwed!  And it just might as there are no tourists during the week.  And many places are shut down.  White Sands is more open and would probably have more what you are looking for.

Lonely Beach has a few things open, and might have more veggie options as that is where the "hippies" hang out.  Really, backpackers now. LOL. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

i wish someone had the population statistics of all citys over 50000 people in thailand im looking at trat now as well but trat looks pretty small

Trat is VERY small.  Not much to do other than the weekend market.

A good way I use to look at cities is the satellite view with Google maps and then the street view.  Where you can get a look at what's around from the street!  It's pretty cool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Street_View

Some OK information here also:

https://wikitravel.org/en/Trat

https://www.tourismthailand.org/home

http://tezza-thailandbeachesandislands.blogspot.com/

Richard Barrow put this together which is pretty cool.  You can follow him on Twitter (and search it) as he does lots of travel.

https://www.mythailandbucketlist.com/map/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/richardbarrow

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 7:05 AM, yogi yogi said:

sri racha i will google it .  looks like trat is a city over their as well

Not a lot at Sri Racha other than some nice restaurants and the ferry over to Koh Sichang.

If you want a beach resort Bang Saen is ok but can get a bit busy on Thai holidays.

If you want quiet beach then as suggested Chao Lao or Laem Sing.

Chantaburi is quite an interesting place, they have the gems market for locally mined stones there on Fri/Sat. We stayed at the New Travel Lodge which was quite good.

6 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

The biggest "city" would be White Sands Beach. 

Obviously tongue in cheek, Koh chang has a big lump in the middle and everything is built on a narrow strip around the base.

Well worth a visit, nice restaurants and scenery, the waterfall is not up to much but the exercise getting there must be beneficial.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Some OK information here also:

https://wikitravel.org/en/Trat

https://www.tourismthailand.org/home

http://tezza-thailandbeachesandislands.blogspot.com/

Richard Barrow put this together which is pretty cool.  You can follow him on Twitter (and search it) as he does lots of travel.

https://www.mythailandbucketlist.com/map/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/richardbarrow

those are great sites. thanks. im looking at ranong at the moment.  i like to go to cities that have big c and tesco lotus.  in thammarat the big c has a carrot juicer in the vegetable dept and they make freshed squeezed carrot juice.  im spoiled traveler and need decent food. i suspect ranong will have everything i need and hopefully quieter than pattaya. when i see the pics of pattaya and all the signs of go go bars. it turns me off

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 12:50 AM, steven100 said:

Rayong is ok,  it's obviously alot quiter than Pattaya,  but still has the restaurants and bars if you do go out looking. 

im looking at rayong. i might try it.  if they have a big c and tesco lotus im good to go

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

im looking at rayong. i might try it.  if they have a big c and tesco lotus im good to go

We live on the Darkside of Pattaya, out by the lake, nice and quiet  & relaxed atmosphere, we go into town only for shopping and the decent restaurants, they have gyms, cinemas & major stores, I haven't personally been anywhere near a bar, disco or go go in Pattaya for over 10 years, I have no need, your perception of Pattaya is flawed by what you see on line.

We have a gym out here, yes a guy got killed there by a couple of gunmen a few years back but by all accounts he wasn't a very nice guy. We have some lovely restaurants we are looking forward to getting back into when they are allowed to open & serve wine again, and there is a 12 kilometre cycling/ running/ walking track around lake Mabprachan, quite a few nice bars/restaurants aswell, it's not as bad as you think.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

We live on the Darkside of Pattaya, out by the lake, nice and quiet  & relaxed atmosphere, we go into town only for shopping and the decent restaurants, they have gyms, cinemas & major stores, I haven't personally been anywhere near a bar, disco or go go in Pattaya for over 10 years, I have no need, your perception of Pattaya is flawed by what you see on line.

We have a gym out here, yes a guy got killed there by a couple of gunmen a few years back but by all accounts he wasn't a very nice guy. We have some lovely restaurants we are looking forward to getting back into when they are allowed to open & serve wine again, and there is a 12 kilometre cycling/ running/ walking track around lake Mabprachan, quite a few nice bars/restaurants aswell, it's not as bad as you think.

what u mean by dark side of pattaya is that an area?  yes im sure thier is a nice part of pattaya . ive never been thier so i cant judge it but a few years ago , so many bad stories coming out of pattaya  ,  that pattaya has a reputation problem now unless u are a sex pat.  ??  i think the thai govt is trying to clean up the pattaya image?? not sure how they will do that

13 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Trat is VERY small.  Not much to do other than the weekend market.

A good way I use to look at cities is the satellite view with Google maps and then the street view.  Where you can get a look at what's around from the street!  It's pretty cool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Street_View

how is street view any more useful than just zooming in on the satellite view

9 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

how is street view any more useful than just zooming in on the satellite view

Don't know! I'm on a tablet usually with dodgy connections. LOL.

But either way, gives you a pretty good perspective.

We've also been using YouTube lately. Lots of great videos there for just about anywhere in the world!

• Like 1

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

Don't know! I'm on a tablet usually with dodgy connections. LOL.

But either way, gives you a pretty good perspective.

We've also been using YouTube lately. Lots of great videos there for just about anywhere in the world!

all i can say is that krabi. and trang are about right size citys for me. im studying rayong

On 10/30/2021 at 6:32 AM, yogi yogi said:

i think the thai govt is trying to clean up the pattaya image?? not sure how they will do that

They could start by telling people who know nothing about it to stop disparaging the place. 

Or even prosecute them under Section 326 Defamation. 

Edited by rott
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 5:21 PM, yogi yogi said:

those are great sites. thanks. im looking at ranong at the moment.  i like to go to cities that have big c and tesco lotus.  in thammarat the big c has a carrot juicer in the vegetable dept and they make freshed squeezed carrot juice.  im spoiled traveler and need decent food. i suspect ranong will have everything i need and hopefully quieter than pattaya. when i see the pics of pattaya and all the signs of go go bars. it turns me off

on KC you have 3 supermarkets within walking distance.

Position yourself there, somewhere on the beach.

Massage, gyms, restaurants are everywhere. Within 5 minutes walk.

I will look for a guest house which serves your favourite food, so you don't have to move around if you don't have to. For example is raining.

I would also get a room with a very large fridge, so you stock for several days.

I would stay as far away as possible from any town. Noise, pollution, traffic jams, lack of greenery and parks

Edited by internationalism

32 minutes ago, rott said:

They could start by telling people who know nothing about it to stop disparaging the place. 

Or even prosecute them under Section 326 Defamation. 

they like to get upset about the place don't they? because sleazy blah blah blah. but they'll drive past this places with the fairy lights and say how cute ????

ps. not having a go at the OP so no confused or sad faces please community ????

On 10/28/2021 at 11:04 AM, yogi yogi said:

ive seen videos of lots of lady boys and bars ( i dont drink)  and the signs everywhere on the street advertizing bars and go go places.  i like to look at birds and trees.  plus pattaya attracts a seedier crowd   looking for all those bars?  im just into exercise and quiet...........but to be fair im hearing thier is a nice part of pattaya "???? 

Pattaya is a decent sized city and you can go to many parts of it and not see bar beers or a go-gos or shirtless drunken ferrang (not that there's anything wrong with that!). but I understand where you're coming from and I don't think it would suit your preference at all. I love the place but I think it would be too difficult for you to get into and out of from your quiet place. 

btw I like nature and quiet places myself and will be dividing my time between my them and my beloved Patts when I retire there this year. so thanks for bringing up the topic, some very useful responses from the lads.

12 minutes ago, internationalism said:

on KC you have 3 supermarkets within walking distance.

Position yourself there, somewhere on the beach.

Massage, gyms, restaurants are everywhere. Within 5 minutes walk.

I will look for a guest house which serves your favourite food, so you don't have to move around if you don't have to. For example is raining.

I would also get a room with a very large fridge, so you stock for several days.

I would stay as far away as possible from any town. Noise, pollution, traffic jams, lack of greenery and parks

is it easy to get around KC if you don't have your own transpo? eg. so they have late-night taxi motosai or do you have to stumble home from the bars at 3 am? ????