any body been to rayong or chanchaburi. is it like pattaya

yogi yogi

7 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

is it easy to get around KC if you don't have your own transpo? eg. so they have late-night taxi motosai or do you have to stumble home from the bars at 3 am? ????

It's not easy to get around KC, especially if you need to go from Bang Bao up to White Sands Beach.  In the rain!  Scary.

I think there's a curfew on now.  Most bars are closed anyway.  It's really quiet there now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rott said:

They could start by telling people who know nothing about it to stop disparaging the place. 

Or even prosecute them under Section 326 Defamation. 

its not a secret that pattaya has had some bad press.  im only commenting on the press ive been reading.  im sure thier is a good part of pattaya.  as well.  even the thai govt. has mentioned that they are trying to clean up the image of pattaya?  this is no secret.  i have nothing against the place, i dont drink and i dont go to go go bars. and im not really interested in seeing drunk farang

• Like 1

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

It's not easy to get around KC, especially if you need to go from Bang Bao up to White Sands Beach.  In the rain!  Scary.

I think there's a curfew on now.  Most bars are closed anyway.  It's really quiet there now.

isnt this the part of thailand with covid outbreaks right at the moment . i wish they would put out a map of the covid outbreak areas of thailand as tourists arriving soon and might want to avoid those areas??

4 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Pattaya is a decent sized city and you can go to many parts of it and not see bar beers or a go-gos or shirtless drunken ferrang (not that there's anything wrong with that!). but I understand where you're coming from and I don't think it would suit your preference at all. I love the place but I think it would be too difficult for you to get into and out of from your quiet place. 

btw I like nature and quiet places myself and will be dividing my time between my them and my beloved Patts when I retire there this year. so thanks for bringing up the topic, some very useful responses from the lads.

what area of pattaya would one go to stay away from drunks and go go bars

Just now, yogi yogi said:

its not a secret that pattaya has had some bad press.  im only commenting on the press ive been reading.  im sure thier is a good part of pattaya.  as well.  even the thai govt. has mentioned that they are trying to clean up the image of pattaya?  this is no secret.  i have nothing against the place, i dont drink and i dont go to go go bars. and im not really interested in seeing drunk farang

rott i know nothing about pattaya except for the numerous stories of lady boys etc .  robberies etc. over the years.  the thai govt knows full well pattaya has an image problem .  im not defaming it ,  u know thier are a large segment of people that read and see reports of pattaya and do not want to visit based on press reports

24 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

isnt this the part of thailand with covid outbreaks right at the moment . i wish they would put out a map of the covid outbreak areas of thailand as tourists arriving soon and might want to avoid those areas??

Between 8 an 10k cases a day here in Thailand.  Covid is everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

Koh Chang has no Tesco or Big C and would be deathly quiet now. Chantaburi is fine, a big enough city to have everything, but quiet. Easy enough to get around. Some nice enough parks, the beaches Chao Lao and Laem Sing etc can be a bit hit and miss with tides, jelly fish whereas Laem Mae Pim further towards Rayong is a better beach in my opinion with swimming always possible. If I was to go from inland Chantaburi that's where I would go. Klaeng is the closest city. Rainy season is supposed to finish about now, otherwise Chantaburi and Trat are some of the wettest places on earth.

Gets the Gumboot award.!! 

29 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

Exactly yogi, you are just regurgitating the gutter press and contributing more. 

"there is a good part of Pattaya" as you almost said. So how much is "a part".? 10%.? You are clearly inferring that the greater part is bad. Would this include the Hilton and Hard Rock hotels.? 

Long time since I've seen a drunk farang, or many Thais come to that. But it is a holiday resort where people come to relax and be happy, and like other resorts you occasionally see drunks. 

I live in a Soi near the beach, with at least a dozen bars and the only problem is the staff in two of them play this Isaan music very loud. (then wonder why they have no customers). 

Koh Chang does have a decent sized Tesco Lotus if that is the same as a Tesco. Could be closed. Haven't been for a while.  Koh Chang has many hotels with combinations of forest, beach and nearby shops. At Lonely Beach you can literally stay in the forest but 3 minutes away from shops and 5 or 10 to beach. Sea View is set in forest and beach and a short trip to town. 

I like Chanthaburi and it's a nice place to stop on the way to Koh Chang. Can recommend the Manacheen Hotel for good breakfast and pool sauna and gym but it is a bit out of town and you need to get a room away from the road. They gave us one when we asked. They have a free transfer to town and is quiet at night but some good restaurants.  Sometimes a bit hard to find a taxi back. Hotels in town look mostly basic but near the old part might be fun. Waterfall not far and beaches 30 minutes away are OK but the sand is not as pretty as other places. 

I heard Rayong has polluted beached but not sure. 

Just now, Bluetongue said:

Koh Chang has no Tesco or Big C and would be deathly quiet now. Chantaburi is fine, a big enough city to have everything, but quiet. Easy enough to get around. Some nice enough parks, the beaches Chao Lao and Laem Sing etc can be a bit hit and miss with tides, jelly fish whereas Laem Mae Pim further towards Rayong is a better beach in my opinion with swimming always possible. If I was to go from inland Chantaburi that's where I would go. Klaeng is the closest city. Rainy season is supposed to finish about now, otherwise Chantaburi and Trat are some of the wettest places on earth.

i dont care about swimming i bet room rates are cheap thier .  i can get hotel with pool. i see a hotel not online in chantaburi with large pool . its dirt cheap price. what i do like is a long flat beach for running. where is that beach???

Just now, rott said:

Exactly yogi, you are just regurgitating the gutter press and contributing more. 

"there is a good part of Pattaya" as you almost said. So how much is "a part".? 10%.? You are clearly inferring that the greater part is bad. Would this include the Hilton and Hard Rock hotels.? 

Long time since I've seen a drunk farang, or many Thais come to that. But it is a holiday resort where people come to relax and be happy, and like other resorts you occasionally see drunks. 

I live in a Soi near the beach, with at least a dozen bars and the only problem is the staff in two of them play this Isaan music very loud. (then wonder why they have no customers). 

im only stating what i have seen online.  especially the pics of dirty streets with bar signs as far as the eye can see.  and over the past years. alot of crazy  stories have originated from pattaya.  drugs and theft and etc.  ive never been their so i dont know ,  but the press has been bad about pattaya for many years. 

Just now, Bluetongue said:

cant be more wet than thammarat or further south of thier.  im also interested in visiting songkhla   area but i thought that was even alot wetter than pattaya area this time of year up until mid jan??

2 hours ago, yogi yogi said:

what area of pattaya would one go to stay away from drunks and go go bars

pretty much all of Patts. the so-called sleaze (which is just peeps enjoying themselves) is concentrated in a few areas that are either easily avoided or ain't such a big deal. 

haven't been there for a while so can't comment on the current crime situation. in the past I've been pickpocketed by ladyboys a couple of times whilst staggering home drunk but that's my own damn vault for not taking a taxi motosai home. everybody's gotta eat.

3 hours ago, yogi yogi said:

the 'bad press' is written by puritans who think that everybody must adhere to their strict moral code. because Pattaya never tried to hide what it was it is of course a natural target for this type of stuff. 

puritans are very quick to judge other people's actions but neglect their own.

eg. they get all hot and bothered because some farang dude paid a girl 500 baht for a good time. yet they stay in corporate-run hotels, shop at big chain stores, don't tip, and whine about the cost of noodle soup ("it should be 20 baht, 30 baht is too expensive"). thereby condemning the mom-and-pop type establishments to a life of relative poverty.

a lot of dudes who go to Pattaya spend a <deleted> ton of money. I've been in bars where dudes are spending money like it's water. that was in the good old days when the place was pumping but the point is that they funneled a massive amount of money into the local economy. and that's just in the bars, never mind all the money that the demimondaines received directly as one-offs or over longer periods of time. 

I think if you're genuinely interested in seeing how Thailand works then you'll visit Pattaya and have a bit of a look around. some say it's not the 'real' Thailand but I argue that it is quintessentially Thai. savvy business people created an adult playground by the sea out of a quiet fishing village. gave the customers what they wanted, which Thais are actually pretty good at despite the naysayers, and everybody's happy except the moralists. 

#Pattaya4Life lol

5 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

the 'bad press' is written by puritans who think that everybody must adhere to their strict moral code. because Pattaya never tried to hide what it was it is of course a natural target for this type of stuff. 

puritans are very quick to judge other people's actions but neglect their own.

eg. they get all hot and bothered because some farang dude paid a girl 500 baht for a good time. yet they stay in corporate-run hotels, shop at big chain stores, don't tip, and whine about the cost of noodle soup ("it should be 20 baht, 30 baht is too expensive"). thereby condemning the mom-and-pop type establishments to a life of relative poverty.

a lot of dudes who go to Pattaya spend a <deleted> ton of money. I've been in bars where dudes are spending money like it's water. that was in the good old days when the place was pumping but the point is that they funneled a massive amount of money into the local economy. and that's just in the bars, never mind all the money that the demimondaines received directly as one-offs or over longer periods of time. 

I think if you're genuinely interested in seeing how Thailand works then you'll visit Pattaya and have a bit of a look around. some say it's not the 'real' Thailand but I argue that it is quintessentially Thai. savvy business people created an adult playground by the sea out of a quiet fishing village. gave the customers what they wanted, which Thais are actually pretty good at despite the naysayers, and everybody's happy except the moralists. 

#Pattaya4Life lol

Sorry. But central pattaya is a mess. Terrible traffic. Dodgy sidewalks. Skewer smells. Pattaya is not representative of Thailand at all. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Sorry. But central pattaya is a mess. Terrible traffic. Dodgy sidewalks. Skewer smells. Pattaya is not representative of Thailand at all. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

of course it's representative of Thailand. it's Thailand in a nutshell. a big crazy mess with all the sounds and smells. second only to the awesome Krung Thep.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

im not a moralist . i just dont drink, and i always felt lady boys were a bit controlling ,  and i like peace and quiet and beauty.   i like nice people.  i dont buy women.  i study the information i get ,  and from what i see pattaya is not regular thailand.   i go to 

maybe for you.  and other strangers u speak for .  not me  

nobody buys women in Thailand mate, they're not for sale. no offence but if you've only sought out nature then you really don't know how the place works. just go to any old random karaoke joint almost anywhere in Thailand and you'll see what I mean. it's best to go when it's full of Thai boys for the most eye-opening experience.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

nobody buys women in Thailand mate, they're not for sale. no offence but if you've only sought out nature then you really don't know how the place works. just go to any old random karaoke joint almost anywhere in Thailand and you'll see what I mean. it's best to go when it's full of Thai boys for the most eye-opening experience.

i dont go to karaoke joints .  sorry. i like peace and quiet just like the majority of thais do