Chinese tourists to return to Thailand - but not until late 2022

webfact

^^^ Similar... staying at decent, well known hotel in Chiang Mai with family from overseas. Sat around busy pool; Chinese tourists have 'grand daughter' drop keks and pee at side of pool rather than walk ten paces into the toilet. These were not peasant Chinese. The look on the Thai wait staff faces was gold!

But let's not mar them all; many quality Chinese folk and the women can be absolute stunners. However, less of the billions in coaches can only be good so I wholeheartedly support the 2022 decision. ????

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Not really, the Chinese may own them by way of an investment and to get money out of China but it doesn't mean they live there. Apart from that they would be hard pushed to fit one of their tour groups into a condo. ????

They may not all live there, but may do. Check the population of Chinese children attending international schools in Chiang Mai. The biggest attendees are Chinese. 

3 hours ago, Tonypandy said:

They may not all live there, but may do. Check the population of Chinese children attending international schools in Chiang Mai. The biggest attendees are Chinese. 

????????
So you have some Chinese kids running-around in Chiang Mai, what does that prove exactly?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, daveAustin said:

^^^ Similar... staying at decent, well known hotel in Chiang Mai with family from overseas. Sat around busy pool; Chinese tourists have 'grand daughter' drop keks and pee at side of pool rather than walk ten paces into the toilet. These were not peasant Chinese. The look on the Thai wait staff faces was gold!

But let's not mar them all; many quality Chinese folk and the women can be absolute stunners. However, less of the billions in coaches can only be good so I wholeheartedly support the 2022 decision. ????

Well said (especially the stunners ????

A few years ago the first wave of Chinese mass tourism was really bad. They were those who had never traveled abroad. I can confirm peeing at the pool, and such. With time however, they have evolved and we should not judge them the same way. Like we shouldn't judge all Brits because of a few drunken types spray-painting a historical wall. Before Covid, many  of the Chinese were in  fact independent travelers (typically couples), kind and with good manners. They provided bread and butter for a lot of Thais in the hospitality sector. And, when one considers the Thai perspective, they were also the biggest investors e.g. in the condo industry.

The truth is that Thailand had oversold itself to tourism. I sincerely hope we will not get back to the zillions of tourists, especially in tour groups, regardless of the nationality.

Chinese government not encouraging trips abroad.

75% of the nation's wealth is held in real estate. Evergrande and half dozen other bankruptcies anyone?

Doubt many middle class Chinese want to blow huge amounts of money on PCR tests and quarantine.

Personally, I think there's still a ton of covid swirling about in that country.

Sad part is Thailand continues to hope and wait for the easy money rather than beginning a program to educate it's people. Service jobs suck anyway.

• Like 1