Visa options while in country

I was away all that year due to COVID and came back September 30th via Phuket on a single entry tourist visa (METV wasn't available and I didn't think the SETV has still available!). It's been a long time coming and because of all the turmoil with COVID me and my girlfriend are going to start moving forward on getting married.

Are there any options for me while I'm still in the country or do I need to plan to leave first and then come back with a different visa? I can extend my visa once at least I know (giving me 3 months) so I'll have time to actually register the marriage while I'm here but after that I'm not sure. I think they said they've extended the 'COVID extensions' until Sep. 2022 so maybe they'll let me get some of these if I have a plan of action.

I know there is an "O" visa you need to get which you can then extend for 12 months given you have the 400k in the bank etc... Getting that visa is what I'm curious about and how I could even transfer money into a Thai bank account which I can't open until I have a some visa besides a tourist visa. I would of course transfer money into her account but I don't think that's an option.

Thank you.

Some embassies and official consultes are issuing a METV and if wanted a STV is available.

You could enter on a single entry tourist visa and then a 30 day extension of the 60 day entry from it.

That should be enough time to get married. The after getting married you could apply for a 60 day extension visit your new wife to get enough time to have 400k baht in a Thai bank to apply for a non-o visa and then a one year extension of stay based upon marriage when the 400k baht has been in the bank for 2 months.

You should be able to open a Thai bank with a tourist visa entry. After you get married your wife could could be a reference to help with opening a bank account.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Some embassies and official consultes are issuing a METV and if wanted a STV is available.

Darn, when did that start? I applied for my visa in September and the Washington DC didn't appear to have them (discontinued for COVID).  I should have done the SETV but it looked like a lots of hurdles. ????

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could enter on a single entry tourist visa and then a 30 day extension of the 60 day entry from it.

That should be enough time to get married. The after getting married you could apply for a 60 day extension visit your new wife to get enough time to have 400k baht in a Thai bank to apply for a non-o visa and then a one year extension of stay based upon marriage when the 400k baht has been in the bank for 2 months.

You should be able to open a Thai bank with a tourist visa entry. After you get married your wife could could be a reference to help with opening a bank account.

So you can apply for the "extension  visit" in-country? That's what I wanted to know, thanks. That plus a 30-day extension will certainly give me enough time to arrange everything.

Another thread I just read said Kasikorn may open accounts for foreigners so I'll try them. 

As a personal aside Joe should set up a https://www.buymeacoffee.com/ link in his forum signature. ????

• Thanks 1

OP, You entered Sept 30. That means your current permission of stay ends end Nov.

At that time you could obtain 30 day extension.

After that if available you could obtain 60 day covid extension.

During all that time you could get married and obtain a non O (marriage) at immigration.

No need to leave Thailand.

That would give you a 90 day POS.

During that time apply for your 12 month extension.

The 400k in bank for 2 months prior to applying for the 12 month extension is a simple option.

Ha just noticed OP note.

I'm sure many would support that.

"As a personal aside Joe should set up a https://www.buymeacoffee.com/ link in his forum signature."

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I should have done the SETV but it looked like a lots of hurdles.

Just so you understand the lingo ...

The Single Entry Tourist Visa (SETV) is what you actually acquired and used to enter the country.

What you decided against (rightly if planning marriage and a "conversion" in country) is the Special Tourist Visa (STV).

On 10/30/2021 at 9:31 AM, NorthernRyland said:

Darn, when did that start? I applied for my visa in September and the Washington DC didn't appear to have them (discontinued for COVID).  I should have done the SETV but it looked like a lots of hurdles. ????

So you can apply for the "extension  visit" in-country? That's what I wanted to know, thanks. That plus a 30-day extension will certainly give me enough time to arrange everything.

Another thread I just read said Kasikorn may open accounts for foreigners so I'll try them. 

As a personal aside Joe should set up a https://www.buymeacoffee.com/ link in his forum signature. ????

Try the Bangkok Bank I have always found them very helpful and from posts seen on here seems to be the view of others.

24 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Try the Bangkok Bank I have always found them very helpful and from posts seen on here seems to be the view of others.

Not my experience. 

I live in Thailand with extensions retirement. 

Wanted to open FD account and savings a/c.

Bangkok Bank wanted something from my embassy (perhaps proof of residence, not sure). Also something from my Oz bank. Another letter.

Complete nonsense.

I opened accounts at Kasikorn on the spot. Zero issues.

For folks without a non O and planing to open bank account for one, I recommend an agent. Quick simple and not expensive.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

An "agent" to open a bank account?? I thought banks wanted our money. LOL

Try opening one with visa exempt entry.

In recent times far more difficult. Not covid related, think more the money laundering laws that came into play. 

In particular people currently entering visa exempt with aim to obtain non O need a Thai bank account and also time is crucial. An agent can assist to open one quickly. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Not my experience. 

I live in Thailand with extensions retirement. 

Wanted to open FD account and savings a/c.

Bangkok Bank wanted something from my embassy (perhaps proof of residence, not sure). Also something from my Oz bank. Another letter.

Complete nonsense.

I opened accounts at Kasikorn on the spot. Zero issues.

For folks without a non O and planing to open bank account for one, I recommend an agent. Quick simple and not expensive.

As with government departments different rules in different branches.

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

In particular people currently entering visa exempt with aim to obtain non O need a Thai bank account and also time is crucial. An agent can assist to open one quickly. 

Then I shall find out tomorrow if my tourist visa gets the job done. If not, where is said "agent" to be found?

51 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Then I shall find out tomorrow if my tourist visa gets the job done. If not, where is said "agent" to be found?

Couple of positive reports for Siam Legal. They use Bangkok Bank. 

If you have no luck with opening the Bank Account yourself and in fact use an agent, please report back your experience. May be helpful to others.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Then I shall find out tomorrow if my tourist visa gets the job done.

Where are you located. 

My first ever bank account was obtained on a tourist visa, but that was many years ago.

They kept asking for my work permit. Bit difficult when I needed to account for non O retirement.

I found using one of the bigger head offices worked. 

You will possibly need to try a few.

In recent times I had no trouble with new account at Kasikorn.

However I had 12 month extension. 

Found Bangkok Bank unhelpful. 

Just wanted to share on opening a Thai bank account issue. I have arrived in Thailand on 13 Oct under the 30 days visa exemption. I went to the Immigration office in Udon the next day to do my TM30 reporting. I share with the IO that I am going to marry my Thai gf and needed to open a bank account to deposit the 400k bath. The IO was really helpful, she returned my passport with the new additional 2 months extension of stay and a letter to be given to the bank for the opening bank account. I paid 2k BAHT for all the process.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Where are you located. 

My first ever bank account was obtained on a tourist visa, but that was many years ago.

They kept asking for my work permit. Bit difficult when I needed to account for non O retirement.

I'm in Chiang Mai. It's crazy they want us to deposit money in a Thai bank account but the banks themselves are not fully cooperating with this policy. It's a catch 22, you need the account to get the visa but you need the visa to get the account. ????

2 minutes ago, Ty30666 said:

The IO was really helpful, she returned my passport with the new additional 2 months extension of stay and a letter to be given to the bank for the opening bank account. I paid 2k BAHT for all the process.

That's good to know, thank you. I was going to open the bank account before interacting with immigration but maybe I should wait until I get my extension at the end of November.

13 minutes ago, Ty30666 said:

I managed to open a bank account with Bangkok Bank. A big thank you to Ubonjoe for his advice on the previous post.

What did you need to provide and also what visa or exempt did you have.

Edit: just read your post from earlier that outlined your situation.

However not everyone is getting married so for many will be more difficult.

Edited by DrJack54

So the update today is that I called Kasikorn in Mae Jo Chiang Mai and they said they won't open accounts unless you have a work permit and Bangkok Bank said you can if immigration gives you a form to complete (not sure if you need to actually be married before getting the form or it can be done in advance).

20 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

So the update today is that I called Kasikorn in Mae Jo Chiang Mai and they said they won't open accounts unless you have a work permit and Bangkok Bank said you can if immigration gives you a form to complete (not sure if you need to actually be married before getting the form or it can be done in advance).

Think I posted earlier.

Use an agent to open bank account.

4 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

They can override the banks rules?  Getting the letter from immigration seems easy enough but we'll see.

The letter you refer to might be certificate of residence. At MTT that can take up to 2 weeks. 

Yes places such as Siam Legal can assist with bank account. 

Edited by DrJack54