NANA plaza * Morning & Night bar to officially open for business on Nov 5 (also, Hanrahans)

OishiRefill

So Bangkok, Thailand's biggest sandbox will be opening up soon.  I will still

wait until next year incase the rules and restrictions do a 180 change again.

Good luck to all the brave souls who headed to the grand reopening of

Thailand, just hope that your vacations will be enjoyable, and not shut down.

Geezer

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/2/2021 at 11:15 AM, greenmonkey said:

I remember very clearly my first visit to Nana as a young nieve fresh faced farang. Stumbled into it whilst looking for a place to play pool. It went something like this. There was a bar pretty much centre on the ground floor ran by a large Thai lady. I ordered a beer. She saddled up beside me and loudly proclaimed "I want your #$%@". Sheepishly I replied "Oh I don't I have a big one" To which she looked around the bar at all the old fella's and proclaimed "Big, not big, I don't care - I just want hard". Chuckles all around. Before I could do or say anything she stands right infront of me (facing away from me), reaches back and grabs both my hands and pulls them tight around her (they just about made it around her). She then starts ramming herself up against the bar (with me hanging off the back of her completely helpless) as she screams and shouts " Oh yes... yes... #$%^ me.... harder" She had iron grip... i was completely helpless as she continued her little charade, meanwhile the whole place was looking on wetting themselves with laughter. What a tool I must 'av looked! Ah... fond memories.

Then his wallet gone missing

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/2/2021 at 10:33 AM, Monkeyrobot said:

Bars open on soi 4 at the moment> Blackout, Chequers, Hillary 2, Hanrahans now known as Fitzgeralds, The Tavern Bar, The Blarney Stone was the Heidelberg, Champs corner soi 4 & soi 6 And Bar 4 . 

Is Blackout in the premises that previously was Jools. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 5:08 PM, rott said:

Is Blackout in the premises that previously was Jools. 

To answer my own question, no it isn't, it is a good 100 yards away and next door to Chequers. I was given duff info. Jools old premises were taken by the 7Eleven that was opposite (more or less) and are empty again. 

The attractions Soi 4 had for the farang are disappearing. Not yet disappeared but it ain't the place it was. 

On balance I would prefer to go to a "real" Bangkok bar like the Crown Royal in Patpong or one I can afford like the Red Lion. 

Soi 4 is still like a magnet, but sad to see the Heidelberg become a plastic paddy bar. But such is life. 

Edited by rott
  • Haha 1

On 12/17/2021 at 6:01 PM, rott said:

To answer my own question, no it isn't, it is a good 100 yards away and next door to Chequers. I was given duff info. Jools old premises were taken by the 7Eleven that was opposite (more or less) and are empty again. 

The attractions Soi 4 had for the farang are disappearing. Not yet disappeared but it ain't the place it was. 

On balance I would prefer to go to a "real" Bangkok bar like the Crown Royal in Patpong or one I can afford like the Red Lion. 

Soi 4 is still like a magnet, but sad to see the Heidelberg become a plastic paddy bar. But such is life. 

"...plastic paddy bar." They do seem to have a fixed kind of layout and vibe don't they. I feel a similar way about the Hooter's bars. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OishiRefill said:

I cannot vouch for it personally however. Just was shown it and gave it a look. When visiting, Kasperspy Internet security reported the following:image.png.07dcb5a1d0b70f12cdca65cd785a1d4b.png

(previously, I had pathetic cyber security measures in place, relying soley on Microsoft Windows Defender, so this threat was not flagged to me personally until today)

3 hours ago, OishiRefill said:

"...plastic paddy bar." They do seem to have a fixed kind of layout and vibe don't they. I feel a similar way about the Hooter's bars. 

Me too. An insult to drinkers in Thailand. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, rott said:

Me too. An insult to drinkers in Thailand. 

One of the attractions of such 'chain establishments' which have decor and themes directed at a specific foreigner group's demographic, is that the customer feels 'safe', 'at home', and sort of 'relaxed'. They serve their purpose. On a similar topic but on a bit of a tangent, I was shocked a number of years back when the Australian themed Walkabout was eventually closed in Phnom Penh. That was a real legacy place and I expect missed by many. 

3 hours ago, OishiRefill said:

(previously, I had pathetic cyber security measures in place, relying soley on Microsoft Windows Defender, so this threat was not flagged to me personally until today)

There is another website which has become more popular during COVID times. The address is https://www.offdek.co/ . If using google chrome's auto translation feature from Thai to English, it can appear rather dodgy since the word Dek translates into Child. But that is not what is meant by the original Thai sentences used on the site. Dek is sometimes used as slang to basically mean of legal age but perhaps not over about 24 years of age approximately. Example: Dek Karaoke means service girls (in a Karoke establishment). Not service children. I think it's obvious. Again, I have not used it, only called up a few and learnt that you need to go there, not they come to you. 

Edited by OishiRefill

7 minutes ago, OishiRefill said:

There is another website which has become more popular during COVID times. The address is https://www.offdek.co/ . If using google chrome's auto translation feature from Thai to English, it can appear rather dodgy since the word Dek translates into Child. But that is not what is meant by the original Thai sentences used on the site. Dek is sometimes used as slang to basically mean of legal age but perhaps not over about 24 years of age approximately. Example: Dek Karaoke means service girls (in a Karoke establishment). Not service children. I think it's obvious. Again, I have not used it, only called up a few and learnt that you need to go there, not they come to you. 

If you need "out-call" where she (or he) goes to you. Try https://smooci.com/premium#region . Prices there are higher than the previous two mentioned but there are a lot of search filters to hone in on what you are after.

On 11/30/2021 at 7:14 AM, DrJack54 said:

They are on tinder, thaifriendly, and many other social sites.

Why would you look for company in a bar. That's ancient.

There was a large variety of 'company' to be had inside the Nana Plaza last week. Traditional style, where one lady is sitting alone at many of the various tables. You go up to her table, introduce yourself, offer to buy her a drink, and continue the process from there onwards. I personally had a stab at it last week, only to be "outpriced" by an onlooking 3rd party and the 'bar-fine' refunded! How about that!?

3 minutes ago, OishiRefill said:

There was a large variety of 'company' to be had inside the Nana Plaza last week. Traditional style, where one lady is sitting alone at many of the various tables. You go up to her table, introduce yourself, offer to buy her a drink, and continue the process from there onwards. I personally had a stab at it last week, only to be "outpriced" by an onlooking 3rd party and the 'bar-fine' refunded! How about that!?

I discovered (or rather was reminded) that many companions in the prementioned area do much prefer to visit new friends at a location nearby to their 'base camp'. Reluctant to sit in a taxi for 30 mins or so, since they would like, if possible, to return to base and reload for another chance. It is understandable. Prices seemed to be fair TBH, 500 thb fine and 1500 ST, 3000 LT. (no negotiation there, that was the quoted remuneration rate)

Edited by OishiRefill

17 hours ago, OishiRefill said:

One of the attractions of such 'chain establishments' which have decor and themes directed at a specific foreigner group's demographic, is that the customer feels 'safe', 'at home', and sort of 'relaxed'. They serve their purpose. On a similar topic but on a bit of a tangent, I was shocked a number of years back when the Australian themed Walkabout was eventually closed in Phnom Penh. That was a real legacy place and I expect missed by many. 

Actually I like the Hooters on Soi 4, not that crowded and a great view, you can watch the happenings on the other side of the road. 

But nowadays a Heineken at Hooters is 175 THB compared to 95 THB at Stumble. I'm willing to pay more at Hooters, but nearly double? I guess it's now the other side of the road again for me.    

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2021 at 4:12 PM, OishiRefill said:

That's bad form! ????

RAZZ

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 7:11 AM, RAZZELL said:

That's bad form! ????

RAZZ

Haha. Bit of 'let down' that's for sure. Cannot blame the seller for switching though. Tough times economically. Tough times call for out-of-the-ordinary practices. Retrospectively, it was not only that the 3rd party upped the bidding higher than the original starting price, they also were located (in a temporary sense) much closer to the POS, allowing the asset to return to base more quickly for round 2/3.

Edited by OishiRefill
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jaiyenyen said:

I've just been told that all bars in soi 7 have been closed due to a covid outbreak

10 days or so back I noticed that only 3 or so were open within that 'complex'. So three eventually became zero then! Was the German Beer Bar excluded from the catch? Seems a separate entity, little noticeable in terms of customer rotation between it and the 'complex'.

On 1/3/2022 at 7:11 AM, RAZZELL said:

That's bad form! ????

RAZZ

The transaction involving the first two 'lady drinks' was sealed, since time had been exchanged for those. But the 3rd lady drink which was in the process of being consumed by the lady was also refunded, along with the fine. I think the trick moving forward would be to remove oneself and company from the POS sooner than later, to minimise the risk of having company poached. Got to laugh!

• Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 6:21 AM, steven100 said:

so OP your one of those expat tourists who perch themselves on a bar stool at nana everyday ..... 

Historically once or twice per month, but to be found at any random spot within an establishment - not necessarily on a stool at the roadside.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 1:55 PM, ThaIrish Sean said:

Nice to hear that Nick at checkers bar is still kicking ????

Yes! Love the authentic British fare that is available in Checkers. Can't beat Tiger draft pints @ 100 THB either. And the music..... trip down memory lane.

Edited by OishiRefill
  • Like 1