Quality mask in Thailand

stat

On 11/5/2021 at 3:30 AM, internationalism said:

he is trolling from outside thailand. Pfizer in thailand is given only since the end of august.

I think in majority of countries still need to wear in public, even if vaccinated.

Thai will wear masks long after formal requirement is gone. Since the 4th wave many wear 2 masks to fit tighter.

that his quatation " I’ll be 70 next month, and haven’t worn a face condom in half a year since my second Pfizer-BioNTech shot. "

Yes, I’m not in Thailand right now.  I’m presently back in my home country of Canada. But I’ve spent a good amount of time in both Chiang Mai and Bangkok on two different long term trips. Doesn’t matter here, but I’ve also lived in Siem Reap.  Planning on flying back this coming Spring and staying for good.

Why do you say I am “Trolling” ?  
    What is the basis for you using that term about me?  

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2021 at 3:54 PM, Fairynuff said:

Like I care what happens to an anti vaxer

Well,  I’m not an anti-vaxxer.  Traveling in the world I’m vaccinated against pretty well every disease there’s a vaccine for.  Even had my three Rabies pre-exposure vaccine shots, Yellow Fever….Japanese Encephalitis etc.  etc….etc. 

For Covid I’ve had my two Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 shots.

Hardly what you would call an “…anti-vaxxer.” 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I'm not a danger to anyone, can't be, as I do the social distancing thingy.  Besides, why fear me, y'all are vax'd and masked up.

Lets put some facts on the table: Vacination is not a 100% gurantee it just reduces the risk significantly (around 90% vs unvacinated ) of dying or being hospitalised. You can still infect others even if vacinated and of course you can infect vacinated people. So social distancing is a big plus but again you can still get infected or infect others.

Ways of transmission include touching things and leaving aersols in the air that lasts up to hours in closed confiments.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmc2004973

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 11:10 AM, BusyB said:

You're only telling half the truth here. 

In my gym at least you have to be either vaxxed, recovered or tested just to get in. You also have to book ahead for a 2 hour session. There is a max limit to the number allowed in at any one time. Masks are mandatory everywhere except the training floor.

I stopped going long before the government locked down because there were no precautions. But now I'm vaxxed and they are very strict, I go again. And wear a mask everywhere except the training floor - I tried doing cardio with a mask once and spent 30 minutes in slightly euphoric hypoxia - decided not to repeat the experiment ;D

You are surely aware that gym regulations depend on the state you are in Germany so differ throughout the state (Länder) and even within states can by regulated city by city. So if you doubt my sincerity you are wong my friend.

1 hour ago, stat said:

You are surely aware that gym regulations depend on the state you are in Germany so differ throughout the state (Länder) and even within states can by regulated city by city. So if you doubt my sincerity you are wong my friend.

I wasn't doubting your sincerity, merely pointing out the fact.

I don't know where you are but I can't imagine it being much different from that which I set out. The states have pretty much synchronized by now. If it is, so be it - I wasn't looking for a mudbattle, I was trying to clarify for anyone reading it. My gym has branches all over D.

Perhaps I should have said 'that's only half the story'.

Cheers.

Edited by BusyB

2 hours ago, stat said:

Lets put some facts on the table: Vacination is not a 100% gurantee it just reduces the risk significantly (around 90% vs unvacinated ) of dying or being hospitalised. You can still infect others even if vacinated and of course you can infect vacinated people. So social distancing is a big plus but again you can still get infected or infect others.

Ways of transmission include touching things and leaving aersols in the air that lasts up to hours in closed confiments.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmc2004973

Then stay away from me and don't touch anything I do.  Better yet, you should wash your hand, or wear gloves.

Change your life for your paranoia, not mine.

I do more than enough already, for y'all's paranoia, if not enough for you ... oh well

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Then stay away from me and don't touch anything I do.  Better yet, you should wash your hand, or wear gloves.

Change your life for your paranoia, not mine.

I do more than enough already, for y'all's paranoia, if not enough for you ... oh well

So you agree that your post was simply wrong about that vaxed people could not get infected or that social distancing is a 100% gurantee to not get infected? But I assume  you care about your posts as much as you do care about other people...

And again you still have not grasped that it is a transferable disease, that your wellbeing depends on others in this case.

Of course you could argue that the risk of dying or being hospitalized is very small and I would agree. But please dont state things that are not true line in your first posts.

But Darwin will run its course in the end and you will get your award for sure, if you catch my drift. ????

• Haha 1

I am outside Thailand in an area with virtually no mask mandates.  Vaccine rates are at between 60-70% of adults.   Without the mask mandates, the virus has continued to be a big problem.  The biggest area where it is obvious is in schools.  Some schools did mandate masks and they have remained open with very, very few cases.  Most schools did not mandate masks (it was optional) and a large number of them have had to cancel classes, close for a time and more than a few are back to online learning or a mix of in-person and online.  

With masks it's mostly about physics.  If you have it on properly, any escaping droplets or aerosols are going to have little velocity and the containment area will be small.  As poorer quality masks are worn or people wear them improperly, the containment area increases.   This is why the social distancing is a part of the mitigation process.  The mask is far from 100% effective, but when you get 6  feet or 2 metres away, you chances start dropping drastically.  

Outside is much safer for well-known reasons, but in crowded areas and streets like BKK sometimes as well as cities like New York and Tokyo, they are needed.

I hate wearing a mask and I tear it off the moment I step outside.  Where I live, it's not crowded, so outside is safe.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 7:47 AM, Catoni said:

My cousin got killed in a motorcycle accident. Let’s ban them. Your brother in law is about one out of a thousand. More people than that have bad side effects and end up in hospital from taking aspirin. 
    For ages 50 - 69 years of age, survival rate if you get Covid is 99.5% according to the Centers for Disease Control. (CDC) 

I’ll be 70 next month, and haven’t worn a face condom in half a year since my second Pfizer-BioNTech shot. 
  Time to get back our normal free life. Not to live in fear.  
I had a 5% chance of dying during my Quadruple Coronary Artery Bypass open heart surgery.  And I did not go into that with fear either.

I refuse to live in fear. Living in fear is no way to live. 
I refuse to be afraid of Covid. I breathe free. No hiding behind a face condom. 
Quote: “The one permanent emotion of the inferior man is fear - fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. What he wants above everything else is safety."  - H. L. Mencken

“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary.” - H. L. Mencken

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”

- H. L. Mencken 

It’s not about living in fear. It’s about everyone trying their best to help stop the spread and thus mutation of this virus. 

• Like 2

On 11/5/2021 at 10:58 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The respiratory route has been the predominant means of transmission, far more than eyes or even surfacces contact... So I've worn N95 face masks ever since the start of the pandemic.

Though, I will admit, at the height of the pandemic in BKK earlier this year, when I had to go outside and mix with people on someplace like BTS, I also was wearing glasses and keeping my eyes closed at times,  just to be on the safer side. And cleaning my hands with alcohol gel, etc etc.

and yet, medical/ nursing staff appear to be universally wearing clear face shields over their masks.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and yet, medical/ nursing staff appear to be universally wearing clear face shields over their masks.

For the procedures staff, to prevent against sprays. For the others, likely, because they don't have enough actual N95 masks available via their employers, so are combining lesser masks with the face shields, since the latter can be perpetually re-used, but the N95 and other masks have to be regularly replaced.

On 11/4/2021 at 7:47 AM, Catoni said:

My cousin got killed in a motorcycle accident. Let’s ban them. Your brother in law is about one out of a thousand. More people than that have bad side effects and end up in hospital from taking aspirin. 
    For ages 50 - 69 years of age, survival rate if you get Covid is 99.5% according to the Centers for Disease Control. (CDC) 

I’ll be 70 next month, and haven’t worn a face condom in half a year since my second Pfizer-BioNTech shot. 
  Time to get back our normal free life. Not to live in fear.  
I had a 5% chance of dying during my Quadruple Coronary Artery Bypass open heart surgery.  And I did not go into that with fear either.

I refuse to live in fear. Living in fear is no way to live. 
I refuse to be afraid of Covid. I breathe free. No hiding behind a face condom. 
Quote: “The one permanent emotion of the inferior man is fear - fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. What he wants above everything else is safety."  - H. L. Mencken

“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary.” - H. L. Mencken

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”

- H. L. Mencken 

And you bravely and unselfishly refuse to concern yourself about the risk of  tying up valuable hospital resources if you come down with a case requiring hospitalization. You are an inspiration to all of us!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For the procedures staff, to prevent against sprays. For the others, likely, because they don't have enough actual N95 masks available via their employers, so are combining lesser masks with the face shields, since the latter can be perpetually re-used, but the N95 and other masks have to be regularly replaced.

IMO more "likely" because to be fully protected a face shield as well as a mask is likely needed, and I've seen combined full face shields/ filters advertised.

In many news items I've seen involving airports, many non medical travelers were wearing face shields as well as masks.

If I were concerned, I'd wear a shield as well as a mask, but while I have to wear a mask to enter most stores, there is no requirement ( at the present time ) to wear one.

BTW, for those that worry about being infected from random strangers passing by, a shield allows one to eat while possibly blocking any airborne particles from coughs or sneezes, so I'm surprised they are not used in restaurants. Seems a bit pointless wearing a mask while walking down an almost deserted pavement and then sitting in a Maccers close to lots of other people while none are wearing any protection at all.

On 11/6/2021 at 12:06 AM, KhunLA said:

I'm not a danger to anyone, can't be, as I do the social distancing thingy.  Besides, why fear me, y'all are vax'd and masked up.

You can still pass on the virus.  And are still posting misinformation.  That's dangerous.

https://www.scmp.com/yp/discover/news/global/article/3099759/coronavirus-i-hate-face-masks-so-can-i-use-plastic-face

If you’re tempted to dump the face mask and switch to face shields instead, think again.

Health officials don’t recommend the clear plastic barriers as a substitute for masks because of the lack of research on whether they keep an infected person from spreading viral droplets to others.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

You can still pass on the virus.  And are still posting misinformation.  That's dangerous.

I never stated if I was infected, I couldn't pass it along to others, just as vax'd and masked  up, can also still get and pass along to others.  I simply stated I practice extreme social distancing, so it probably won't happen.  And since those promoting being vax'd and masked up is the safe way to go, then you shouldn't need to worry about me.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I never stated if I was infected, I couldn't pass it along to others, just as vax'd and masked  up, can also still get and pass along to others.  I simply stated I practice extreme social distancing, so it probably won't happen.  And since those promoting being vax'd and masked up is the safe way to go, then you shouldn't need to worry about me.

Ummm...many who have the virus don't even know it.  And pass it on to others.  Impossible to social distance 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  Unless you're doing a Robinson Crusoe thing.  And if so, great!!!  Won't won't need to worry about you infecting others.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2021 at 2:38 PM, lemonjelly said:

It’s not about living in fear. It’s about everyone trying their best to help stop the spread and thus mutation of this virus. 

You can’t “…stop..” the spread of this virus.  You’re kidding yourself. 
    Eventually we either get immunity from vaccinations and booster shots, or we get the virus and recover…thereby getting natural immunity. 
   This virus will never be “…stopped..”.    The very best you can hope for is to delay the inevitable. Put off getting it to a later time down the road so to speak. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/7/2021 at 4:04 AM, placeholder said:

And you bravely and unselfishly refuse to concern yourself about the risk of  tying up valuable hospital resources if you come down with a case requiring hospitalization. You are an inspiration to all of us!

1.     I’m fully vaxxed with two shots of Pfizer-BioNTec and getting a Pfizer-BioNTech booster halfway through December.  
  According to the science…. Such a three shot series should give me 100% protection against a serious Covid infection and hospitalization. If I get Covid…it will be very very mild, the sniffles, or not even noticeable. 
  I doubt very much whether I will come down with a case requiring hospitalization. 
   I’m 70 soon…. For almost two years now I have been refusing to wear the mask as much as possible…….associating with all kinds of people in close proximity, and I have never had Covid.
   2.     Maybe I have had Covid at some point in the past two years,  and never had any symptoms and recovered and got natural immunity. 
   3.     Or maybe I just have natural immunity to Covid for some other reason. In my genetics or something. Just not able to get Covid. 

4.     Or maybe I am just really…really…. really lucky to have never caught Covid.

You’re free to choose one of those reasons…… I’m happy to have inspired you. 
Take care. 

Edited by Catoni
Addition
  • Thanks 1