Flying in visa exempt to convert to non O retirement questions

I hold a U.S. passport and plan to fly from Hong Kong to Bangkok visa exempt in late November and apply for non-O retirement visa. (I have had a non-OA for years but this time did not get a re-entry so I could switch to non-O. Consulate here does not issue non-O retirement.)

I know my questions have been asked before, but has anyone here done this recently?

Pls help clarify the Thai Immigration list of requirements:

“5.1. letter of guarantee from Thai bank in Thai language”

--I can get from Bangkok Bank at CW on day of application? What does letter need to say?

5.3 passbook showing at least 800,000b.

--Must this be in the bank for any certain period before the day I apply for the visa?

“5.3. Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand“

--This is proof the 800,000b came from abroad? What kinds of proof suffice? Would they accept the 800,000 held for several years of non-OA extensions? (Can’t prove anymore they from abroad.) Otherwise I plan to transfer from my Hong Kong account but I am not sure if that would show up as a foreign transfer on my Bangkok Bank book. Would a screenshot/printout of the online transfer be okay?

The Immigration instructions say 5.1, 5.2, + 5.3 “must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application.” How would that be possible for the proof the funds came from abroad?

Thank you for your advice.

5.1 That is the standard letter from the bank confirming your account and the balance on the day the letter is issued. It the same letter you used for extensions before,

5.3 It only needs to be in the bank on the day you apply for the non-o visa. 

If you you have had  the 800k baht in the bank for a long time the will waive the proof it came from abroad.

Some offices would accept the letter from the bank done the day before but the bank book has to be updated on the day apply.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, chuang said:

joe must the money be sent from abroad...thanks

If you did not have the 800k baht in the bank for some time before entering the country you would need proof it came from abroad.

The proof it came from abroad is due to there is not a requirement for it being in the bank for 2 months or more when applying for the visa.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chuang said:

joe must the money be sent from abroad...thanks

Not if the money has been in Thailand for some time.

Note in OP case he stated....

"Would they accept the 800,000 held for several years of non-OA extensions?"

Answer yes.

Otherwise needs show funds came from abroad for non O retirement application.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

is there also an option to convert to non_o using income method? If so, how many months of transfer must be shown at time of applying for the O? (I have elderly relatives who may need to do this in near future).

There requirements for a non-o visa application only mentions proof of income from a embassy.

They will not accept transfers into the country for the visa application. Some offices might accept it if you had a year of transfers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

There requirements for a non-o visa application only mentions proof of income from a embassy.

They will not accept transfers into the country for the visa application. Some offices might accept it if you had a year of transfers.

Noted, thanks. So if this comes to pass looks like we should have 800K to start with and then make the switch to income method later. (they are American so Embassy letter not possible).

Converted last month from exempt entry to a Non-O at CM Immigration....and, although they saw a bankbook (Siam Commercial Bank) that held the 800k for years, they didn't see any evidence that the money originally came from abroad....nor did they ask for any such evidence.  So my guess is the OP is okay there.

For the OP's benefit, the Non-O is not a "retirement visa", just a 90-day Non-O visa.  The annual extensions you can get based on that are extensions based on retirement (although many call that their retirement visa).   

• Like 2

I am currently on O-A extensions, but I plan to leave Thailand in January 2022 for a few years and come back visa exempt and change to Non O within the time, if it still exists.

I plan to keep the income method going while I am out of the country. My embassy does not issue affidavits, so, for extensions on O-A, I use Tax Office records, transfers shown from my UK bank and correlate it to incoming payments in my Thai bank.

I am hoping things will remain the same upon my return. 

Thank you to all for very helpful replies.

I'm wondering, just in case I get an IO who follows 5.3 to the letter and does not accept the 800,000b I have had for years of OA extensions without proof it came from abroad (which I can't provide), should I make a new transfer from abroad just in case? Have you heard of any cases in which the OA funds were not accepted for O conversion? 

19 minutes ago, david_je said:

I suppose if I became the first case of them not accepting, I still have time to make a new transfer and go back to CW to re-apply, correct?

CW will accept you existing 800k baht that has been in the bank for a long time. They have done it before.

Only some odd office might want proof it came from abroad.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 4:55 PM, CMBob said:

Converted last month from exempt entry to a Non-O at CM Immigration....and, although they saw a bankbook (Siam Commercial Bank) that held the 800k for years, they didn't see any evidence that the money originally came from abroad....nor did they ask for any such evidence.  So my guess is the OP is okay there.

For the OP's benefit, the Non-O is not a "retirement visa", just a 90-day Non-O visa.  The annual extensions you can get based on that are extensions based on retirement (although many call that their retirement visa).   

Thank you for sharing that.

Upon arriving Bangkok visa exempt, did Immigration ask to see ticket out of Thailand within 30 days (or whatever period of stay your passport allows) and 10,000 baht in funds?

Would you please confirm this is full list of required documents for Non-O conversion:

--Bank guarantee letter, and it’s the same letter needed for OA extensions

--Copy of bank passbook pages. How far back should that go?

--Rental agreement and hand-drawn location map.

--TM.87

--Photo

--2,000 baht

By the way, did officer ask why you were converting from non-OA to non-O?

Thank you again.

58 minutes ago, david_je said:

....Upon arriving Bangkok visa exempt, did Immigration ask to see ticket out of Thailand within 30 days (or whatever period of stay your passport allows) and 10,000 baht in funds?

Would you please confirm this is full list of required documents for Non-O conversion:

--Bank guarantee letter, and it’s the same letter needed for OA extensions

--Copy of bank passbook pages. How far back should that go?

--Rental agreement and hand-drawn location map.

--TM.87

--Photo

--2,000 baht

By the way, did officer ask why you were converting from non-OA to non-O?

Thank you again.

As I noted, I converted from exempt entry (via Phuket Sandbox entry, not Bangkok) to a Non-O (not from an Non-OA to a Non-O....which I doubt is even possible).

Besides the TM form, a photo, copies of relevant passport pages, bank letter dated the day before verifying the funds, copies of bank book (in my case, it showed years of maintaining the 800k - but I have no clue how far back that should go), and fee.  I was not asked why I was converting to a Non-O*.  And I didn't provide or was asked for any copy of my rental agreement or hand-drawn location map (which I believe may be requirements at times relating to visas/extensions based on marriage).  

*In my case, I've held annual extensions based on retirement for over a decade but, as my annual extension expired while I was back in the US, I came in visa exempt (coming in with a Tourist Visa would also have worked) so I could convert to a Non-O which, ultimately, is for the purpose of getting back on my annual extensions based on retirement.  I've never held a Non-OA visa or extension (my original visa back in 2009 was a Tourist Visa which I converted in-country to a Non-O).

According to the instructions for obtaining an in country non-O, the proof that the 800,000 came from abroad has to be from the same date as the application.

How strict is Bangkok immigration on this point? My wife just got her FET today and was planning to go to immigration next week...

If she has to go for a new FET, is there an International Trade Center from Kasikorn at Chaeng Wattana?

6 hours ago, khrai said:

How strict is Bangkok immigration on this point? My wife just got her FET today and was planning to go to immigration next week...

I don't they will want the proof it came from abroad done on the same day since that would never change.

The letter from the bank and updated bank book certainly will need to be done the same day.

• Thanks 1

How long does it all take and what date is the renewal of one's extension?

I'm planning to arrive early January on visa exempt, immediately convert to Non O and extend with 45 days left in Chiang Mai.

But I need to leave to the UK 90 days after arrival - I hope/think that should be enough time?

Secondly are they dating the extension from the start or end of the Non O? I'd much rather my renewal date was in January.

On 11/5/2021 at 9:27 AM, CMBob said:

As I noted, I converted from exempt entry (via Phuket Sandbox entry, not Bangkok) to a Non-O (not from an Non-OA to a Non-O....which I doubt is even possible).

Besides the TM form, a photo, copies of relevant passport pages, bank letter dated the day before verifying the funds, copies of bank book (in my case, it showed years of maintaining the 800k - but I have no clue how far back that should go), and fee.  I was not asked why I was converting to a Non-O*.  And I didn't provide or was asked for any copy of my rental agreement or hand-drawn location map (which I believe may be requirements at times relating to visas/extensions based on marriage).  

*In my case, I've held annual extensions based on retirement for over a decade but, as my annual extension expired while I was back in the US, I came in visa exempt (coming in with a Tourist Visa would also have worked) so I could convert to a Non-O which, ultimately, is for the purpose of getting back on my annual extensions based on retirement.  I've never held a Non-OA visa or extension (my original visa back in 2009 was a Tourist Visa which I converted in-country to a Non-O).

I haver seen a few references lately about Bank funds and updating/letter SAME day and not the day before which I have always done...

7 hours ago, briley said:

But I need to leave to the UK 90 days after arrival - I hope/think that should be enough time?

Secondly are they dating the extension from the start or end of the Non O? I'd much rather my renewal date was in January.

You should be able to get your extension done within 90 day of arrival. Extension are completed on the same they are applied for. Be sure you get a a re-entry permit before you leave the country.

You extension will start from the day your 90 days from the day your non-o visa is stamped in your passport.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You should be able to get your extension done within 90 day of arrival. Extension are completed on the same they are applied for. Be sure you get a a re-entry permit before you leave the country.

You extension will start from the day your 90 days from the day your non-o visa is stamped in your passport.

On a related issue, assuming I leave the country with a re-entry permit, but am unable to return until shortly after (perhaps a month) the expiration of the one year extension - I assume I would have to start all over again the next year right, or is there some leeway for returning late?

1 hour ago, keemapoot said:

On a related issue, assuming I leave the country with a re-entry permit, but am unable to return until shortly after (perhaps a month) the expiration of the one year extension - I assume I would have to start all over again the next year right, or is there some leeway for returning late?

A re-entry permit expires on the day the day the permit to stay it is issued for ends. A re-entry permit does not give any additional days.

You entered after that day you would only get 30 day visa exempt entry if you are from a country that qualifies for one.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A re-entry permit expires on the day the day the permit to stay it is issued for ends. A re-entry permit does not give any additional days.

You entered after that day you would only get 30 day visa exempt entry if you are from a country that qualifies for one.

Thank you Joe. So, I'm thinking the easiest way to spend five months/year as snowbird in Thailand after Covid ends would be enter on 30 exempt (US citizen), extend 30 days, show 800k in Thai bank, then apply for Non-O retirement (which is issued same day), then instead of extending that for one year, I would exit Thailand. So that every year, I would have to repeat this process and apply every year for the non-o in the country, but not apply for the one year extension unless I could make it back in before that one year extension is up.