Three quarters of Thais worried about ending the booze ban - even in restaurants, poll suggests

webfact

6 hours ago, JCP108 said:
8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It was a government poll?   Where did it sat that and where has there been a government reaction to the results?

Are you awake?

Yes, I am and if you were awake maybe you'd have had an answer to my question.  It was not a government poll and the government has not reacted to the results of the poll...unless you know different.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

This might be the biggest bunch of BS that's ever come out of the mouth of this government.

Yeah right. THEY'RE CONCERNED, LOL

It didn't come out of the government's mouth!   You think the government conducts polls on it's decisions?!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No one has ever said that it does!

Well, based on how the children are behaving, one would surmise they consider consuming a glass of beer or wine with dinner, at a socially distanced restaurant, to be absolutely deadly behavior. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, based on how the children are behaving, one would surmise they consider consuming a glass of beer or wine with dinner, at a socially distanced restaurant, to be absolutely deadly behavior. 

It's the gathering aspect [sometimes in significant numbers], not the alcohol consumption.

• Like 2

I rode by a bar yesterday that had all seats occupied by foreigners with no social distancing .The  only thing visibly missing was alcohol. 

The current situation is laughable 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

What are you talking about?  At the time you wrote that comment the alcohol ban in restaurants had been lifted in many places so it is, clearly, not considered to be deadly behaviour!

7 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

It's the gathering aspect [sometimes in significant numbers], not the alcohol consumption.

It would be very easy to control. No tables of more than 6 people can consume alcohol during a meal. Done deal. Eliminate the apocalyptic fear mongering and crippling of revenue. And bring back tourism. Maybe. 

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It would be very easy to control. No tables of more than 6 people can consume alcohol during a meal. Done deal. Eliminate the apocalyptic fear mongering and crippling of revenue. And bring back tourism. Maybe. 

And what must be the separation distance between each table of 6 persons?

Well hope you have fun wherever in your travels. Reading your posts about the PM should get-out-now makes me think of the Bruce Springsteen lines:

Had a brother at Khe Sahn
Fighting off the Viet Cong
They're still there, he's all gone

Bon Voyage.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

By the restaurant owners or the waitress staff? Or do they employ especial security. It just isn't the done thing here and a general ban is much easier. 

Just now, spidermike007 said:

We looked at Spain. The visas are difficult for Americans, and it is quite expensive for decent housing. But there are some attractive elements. 

There is a TV program in the UK called 'Bargain Loving Brits in the Sun' that really makes living and retiring there look cheap. 

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

There is a TV program in the UK called 'Bargain Loving Brits in the Sun' that really makes living and retiring there look cheap. 

I hear it is less expensive than some other parts of Europe. Anything is a bargain compared to the UK. 

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I hear it is less expensive than some other parts of Europe. Anything is a bargain compared to the UK. 

There are many facets of life in the UK which are more cost effective than in Thailand. 

My Sisters heating and electricity bill in the UK is cheaper than our AC bill in Thailand. 

Cars are LOT cheaper in the UK / Petrol is double the price in the UK

Eating out is almost always more expensive in the UK

There is far better quality of Veg in the UK which is generally cheaper in Thailand (when comparing quality for quality), although local fruits are much cheaper in Thailand. 

Last year I made a very details cost analysis between living in Thailand and living in the UK. 

UK has free schooling and that was the different in expenditure with Thailand being £17,000 a year more expensive because of my Sons School, otherwise the swings and roundabout of somethings being more expensive and others cheaper for the standard of living my Wife, Son and I have the costs of living in both countries is comparable. 

The kicker - Tax - it all comes down to income tax which I don’t have to pay in Thailand because I work overseas. IF I had to pay income tax in Thailand it would cement my decision to move back to the UK. 

(Note: the part of the UK I am from is very quiet, peaceful and very beautiful - summer is amazing, winter is dull from approx end of Oct to Mid March when its mostly too cold to do a lot of outdoors stuff).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/1/2021 at 3:01 AM, webfact said:

It appears that Thailand's once thriving entertainment sector and nightlife is now seen as the main threat of worsening the pandemic

Of course it appears thus.

The J unta having been banging on about it for months.

Don't worry as it says already   the poll suggets... So not even real 

And yeah if you see stumbling PM ... he should refrain from alcohol even on meeting he refused to sign a deforesting plan... Too much alcohol made him make the wrong decicions

Edited by ikke1959

On 11/1/2021 at 10:01 AM, webfact said:

1,173 people were asked

Another typical Suan Dusit poll.

Tiny sample size of cherry picked responders.

How the questions are posed is also extremely important.

But I totally agree. Hostess pubs, gogos just totally ridiculous. Women getting all friendly with you and then butterflying on to the next flower.

Having a drink with mates. These people are just over worrying but there is a zero sum effect to this.

Does Thailand NEED these (pubs) establishments in these quantities? No. Any covid fallout from this socializing is unnecessary.

Remember, Thai pubs in some ways are even more chaos and free-for-all than western pubs.

Edited by Chad3000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chad3000 said:

Another typical Suan Dusit poll.

Tiny sample size of cherry picked responders.

How the questions are posed is also extremely important.

But I totally agree. Hostess pubs, gogos just totally ridiculous. Women getting all friendly with you and then butterflying on to the next flower.

Having a drink with mates. These people are just over worrying but there is a zero sum effect to this.

Does Thailand NEED these (pubs) establishments in these quantities? No. Any covid fallout from this socializing is unnecessary.

Remember, Thai pubs in some ways are even more chaos and free-for-all than western pubs.

UP THE REVOLUTION.....!!!