Has Thai govt fulfilled its vaccine pledge?

webfact

Thai-PBS-World-logo-59-1.jpg

A student receives a dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 coronavirus vaccine at the Narasikalai school in the southern province of Narathiwat on October 15, 2021. Madaree TOHLALA / AFP

November 1, 2021: The answer to the question whether the Prayut administration has kept its promise to vaccinate 50% of the population is not easy, as it depends on how one defines “vaccination.”

More than half of the population have received the first shots. Meanwhile, Thailand is a few million more doses shy of giving half the country the second jab.

On October 1, the government announce that each Thai province’s vaccination should cover 50% of its population by the end of the month. As prioritisation and urgency differ from province to province, it’s probably fair to judge success based on whether half of the entire Thai population has been vaccinated by now.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/has-thai-govt-fulfilled-its-vaccine-pledge/

Logo-top-.png
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Vaccinating the kids before the adults is just so upside down in my opinion as they are the ones who are less at risk, but then again I forgot where I was for a minute, my bad.

Even when all children are vaccinated, families will still have to decide, based on whether vulnerable adults in that family have been fully vaccinated, if it is really safe to send their children back to school.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Even when all children are vaccinated, families will still have to decide, based on whether vulnerable adults in that family have been fully vaccinated, if it is really safe to send their children back to school.

Totally agree, two kids got their jabs today, mum isn't vaccinated yet as she is waiting on Moderna this month, that said, she isn't in the high risk category and I am vaccinated, that said, mum has said kids aren't going back for 14 days from their vaccinations and of course I am not going to put up a fight as it takes 14 days for the antibodies to start working and it will provide her more time to get her Moderna vaccination.

Government has got it clearly wrong in my and her opinion, they could have given her a Pfizer, but rubbed salt into her wounds as she wasn't getting Sinovac followed by AZ.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

November 1, 2021: The answer to the question whether the Prayut administration has kept its promise to vaccinate 50% of the population is not easy, as it depends on how one defines “vaccination.”

It promised 70%, then  moved the goalposts to suit it's own targets.

• Like 2

On 11/1/2021 at 12:09 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Vaccinating the kids before the adults is just so upside down in my opinion as they are the ones who are less at risk, but then again I forgot where I was for a minute, my bad.

The dogma in the world so far is to vaccinate the oldest people first and then work your way down the age groups. That works but is not necessarily the best approach. I'm not saying it's not the best option but there's a good chanche a better approach exists. Some scientists believe it's better to start with people over 70 and then young people next because they are the best carriers of the disease who spread it the most. So the adage of the current age ladder might actually change one day.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AgentSmith said:

The dogma in the world so far is to vaccinate the oldest people first and then work your way down the age groups. That works but is not necessarily the best approach. I'm not saying it's not the best option but there's a good chanche a better approach exists. Some scientists believe it's better to start with people over 70 and then young people next because they are the best carriers of the disease who spread it the most. So the adage of the current age ladder might actually change one day.

Unfortunately with this lot it was to be elders first then going down the line. However Phuket started shouting that they HAD to have the vaccines for their sandbox plan, so he elders were relegated, then other tourist "play grounds" started shouting, and the elders were relegated again, then BKK started shouting and the elders were relegated again, etc for months on end.

Now it is Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai who are shouting and then the MoEd started shouting but luckily with donations, loans and actual deliveries, Thailand has a fair amount of vaccines available and they are where they should have been a year ago.

• Thanks 1