Jump to content

Where to store Chanote and other important documents?


Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

I am reconsidering my storage solution for important documents e.g. Chanote, passport and also cash. Of course a proper safe e.g. CHUBB Safe would work, but I also consider to keep it in a deposit box at Bangkok Bank. 

 

I am curious, where do you keep these kind of documents? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem with a "safe" especially the hotel room style, is they need anchoring properly or they can just pick up the whole thing and walk away with it.People seldom do that, just like the Hotels do which makes them pretty useless really.

The larger safes are formidable and of more use but again should be achored correctly.All that is a non starter for me and frankly , an ugly eyesore.

Safe deposit boxes are the best bet if you can get one, they are not readily available in many areas.

 

You can of course use a fireproof box and hide that in the house somewhere camouflaged or hidden in plain sight. ????

Lots of things available these days that are not what they appear to be.

Whatever makes "you" sleep better at night or when you travel  away for awhile.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Also, scan them all and keep up in the cloud, back-ups and USB stick.

Do you think that cloud is a safe place given the poor security? Hackers can download it.

 

If you lose the chanote, how easy is it to get a new one from the land office?

 

 

 

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Do you think that cloud is a safe place given the poor security? Hackers can download it.

 

If you lose the chanote, how easy is it to get a new one from the land office?

 

 

 

Don't lose it, and make a few copies. I did not say ONLY on the Cloud.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In a safe. I don't want to use a bank safe box here.

Yes the safe doesn't weigh a ton, it won't withstand heavy machinery tools but in a neigborhood like ours no professional robbers will break in unnoticed.

Only few members of the family know about it.

Has not been transported by outsiders.

In a room with sturdy window grilles and a robust door with cylinder lock and proper fittings.

So no opportunity for petty criminals.

Number wheel combination known to me and the daughter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got burgled before I had a chance I to put in window grills. Someone broke in and stole my safe, keeping this short, and it was found 60K+ away in a field. No damage to the door etc as you'd probably expect. They accessed by peeling open the back. Very professional job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Safes are given ratings dependent on resistance to a torch or tool attack to open them. These ratings are guaranteed by an accredited and internationally recognised agency. Most reputable safes will have details given with them to show how long they will provide protection against burglars or fire, if they don't have this certification don't buy them. It all depends on how much time you can afford to pay for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have mine hidden in the ceiling , the biggest deterrent to your average

burglar is time, they want to be in and out as quickly as possible, so you 

make it as hard as possible for them to find valuables.

 

I have 3 of those small hotel type safes bolted to the walls above the ceiling,

in different places in the house, they have to look up there , why would they,

but if they found one, they would need to find ladders, and the tools that most

burglars carry with them ,would not be enough to detach them. I feel that's

about as much as I can do, I leave a couple 1000 Bhat in plain sight, so hopefully

they would just grab that and leave.

 

The burglars  here don't seem to be as vicious and nasty as some back in the UK, 

who will destroy your house and <deleted> on your floor for good measure.

 

Regards Worgeordie      why does it come out like this,

                                          not the way I typed it ?

 

 

 

 

Edited by worgeordie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These ratings are not internationally recognized but by country. In the United States f. e. by Underwriter Laboratory (UL). 

 

The ratings by the labs differ widely between countries. 

 

If you want a serious safe, I would recommend a safe of at least 200kg, 300 would be better. 

 

Ceramic safes are lighter and more heat (fire & torch) resistant, but more expensive. 

 

Concrete safes are heavier and cheaper. 

 

Don't mind the torch ratings too much, since most professionals would use a Flex. 

 

Combination and key (get a foldable & detachable one you can carry with you in a tiny leather pouch on your key ring) is the safest combo. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/1/2021 at 12:17 PM, phetphet said:

And Ziploc bag in case of flood.

This is true.., but also a recipe for disaster.. The humidiy and heat will eat it inside plastic.. Put it in a ziploc inside the freezer... Joking.. Laminating would work, but not advisable. A dry safe is probably the only way to go.. At least not in the ground.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I have mine hidden in the ceiling , the biggest deterrent to your average

burglar is time, they want to be in and out as quickly as possible, so you 

make it as hard as possible for them to find valuables.

 

I have 3 of those small hotel type safes bolted to the walls above the ceiling,

in different places in the house, they have to look up there , why would they,

but if they found one, they would need to find ladders, and the tools that most

burglars carry with them ,would not be enough to detach them. I feel that's

about as much as I can do, I leave a couple 1000 Bhat in plain sight, so hopefully

they would just grab that and leave.

Yes, decoy safes that are easy to find and a hidden real one are a very effective security measure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/2/2021 at 1:46 AM, Pmbkk said:

Buy a couple of Rottweilers and bury them in a safe under their feeding bowl... 

"Rottweilers and bury them in a safe under their feeding bowl"  Bury the Rotties in a safe ?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just keep all my valuables in my pants and sock draw.... passports, watches, title deed, currency, permanent residence etc

If someone can be bothered to try and get into my condo, past reception, up the lifts etc- then good luck to them.

I refuse to overly worry about things like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a fireproof Chubb safe built in (smart wired to my phone, concrete in), hidden, with 'secret button panel' entry. It was fun getting this designed and made too ☺️.

It would take James bl..dy Bond to find it, then Houdini to open it. Not so over the top considering what it contains.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/2/2021 at 11:35 AM, KhunBENQ said:

In a safe. I don't want to use a bank safe box here.

Yes the safe doesn't weigh a ton, it won't withstand heavy machinery tools but in a neigborhood like ours no professional robbers will break in unnoticed.

Only few members of the family know about it.

Has not been transported by outsiders.

In a room with sturdy window grilles and a robust door with cylinder lock and proper fittings.

So no opportunity for petty criminals.

Number wheel combination known to me and the daughter.

After reading your post I have decided that I am no longer paranoid about security only seriously concerned. !!!!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use a traditional bank deposit box. I can also specify who can have access. So the mere fact of having a key doesn’t automatically grant a key holder access.  They are all climate controlled as well. 

 

Downside is that you only have access during bank days/hours and only the larger branches have them (so not the best idea if you might need ready or unplanned immediate access).  

 

Fee wise, it doesn’t appear to be expensive (around 1500/yr for smallest box) but can be free/included with some of the banks higher level banking packages (ie KBank Wisdom etc) 

 

i also store some valuables like a classic Rolex and a star sapphire.. because i choose to store it using a professional storage solution, my insurer cuts the loss/ theft premium substantially. 

Edited by new2here
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...