Insurance requirement for arriving on Certificate of Entry this week?

I'm arriving in BKK this Friday, 5 November. I have the pre-approved CoE, now I need to do the 2nd stage.

Can anyone clarify the insurance requirements now? I heard that it matched the Thailand Pass rather than the original CoE requirements.

I'll be entering on Non-O visa (Thai spouse) if that's relevant.

Thanks.

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If entering on a non-o visa issued by a embassy you will need 90 days of insurance.

If actually on a extension of stay issued by immigration it would need be valid to the day your re-entry permit expires.

Thanks, it’s an e-visa from London Consulate. Any idea on the level of coverage required?

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If entering on a non-o visa issued by a embassy you will need 90 days of insurance.

If actually on a extension of stay issued by immigration it would need be valid to the day your re-entry permit expires.

And this is

a) general insurance ?

b) insurance for COVID only ?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Roger That said:

Thanks, it’s an e-visa from London Consulate. Any idea on the level of coverage required?

You will need the standard 40k baht out patient and 400k baht in patient insurance coverage valid for 90 days.

And the $50k corvid 19 insurance valid for 90 days.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need the standard 40k baht out patient and 400k baht in patient insurance coverage valid for 90 days.

And the 50k baht corvid 19 insurance valid for 90 days.

Is it therefore correct to say that the former health insurance requirement for the issuance of non O-A visas has been broadened to cover any non-O visa (such based on retirement or marriage) as well (apart from the Covid (former 100K$ - now 50K$) insurance ? - at least when you enter first time.

Joe - you have been always referring to a Royal Gazette and an Immigration Order if it comes to this matters. If this were true then this should (probably) show up there - or am I totally confused ? In fact I really feel I am for I might left out an all important change.

22 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Is it therefore correct to say that the former health insurance requirement for the issuance of non O-A visas has been broadened to cover any non-O visa (such based on retirement or marriage) as well (apart from the Covid (former 100K$ - now 50K$) insurance ? - at least when you enter first time.

No

It is only needed to a apply for a non-o visa based upon retirement at a embassy or consulate. It only has to be valid for the 90 day permit to stay it allows when entering the country.

See 2.6 here. https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/17/nonoretirement/

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I am planning to go to UK  and return with 9 months remaining on my visa  [Non O with marriage extension],  Will I need US$ 50,000 general health insurance inc. Covid for 9 months?  I am 80 yrs old, that may be difficult to find and afford.

4 minutes ago, Peter pop said:

I am planning to go to UK  and return with 9 months remaining on my visa  [Non O with marriage extension],  Will I need US$ 50,000 general health insurance inc. Covid for 9 months?  I am 80 yrs old, that may be difficult to find and afford.

You would need the insurance valid to the day your re-entry permit expires.

I have not seen much info about the 50k baht insurance. 

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I would tend to agree with ubonjoe on this but there remains confusion on both the type of insurance required and the duration.  There were reports a while back from people who's COE had been rejected because their insurance didn't cover the entire 'stamped in' period.

I started a thread on this a few days ago and through my fishing around, I found one website that is stating to the best of their knowledge, if you have a confirmed return air ticket, the insurance only has to cover the duration of your stay.

https://asq.in.th/thailand-covid-insurance

Depending on where you are travelling from, you might find it difficult to get travel insurance for a duration that is different to your flight dates - I couldn't get it in the UK.  I asked for cover for 30 days when my air ticket is 29 Dec to 18 January and was told that is not possible with a single trip policy. The only way I could get that was by buying multi trip cover which suits me anyway. Single trip insurance must match your booked travel dates.

The Thai websites offering such cover, 30, 60 and 90 days, seem to still be offering Covid specific cover.  This brings up another problem brought about by the Thai government's vague request for 'Health Insurance'. That requirement suggests they are looking for a broader range of medical cover - not simply Covid. Is the insurance offered by these websites adequate?  I suspect it will be for those entering on COE but it could change now Thailandpass is in operation.

Edited by KhaoYai

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

And the $50k corvid 19 insurance valid for 90 days.

Thanks. Correction to this: I believe it is 50k USD Covid-19 insurance.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks Fixed now.

Not enough coffee yet when I posted it this morning.

Maybe I had on the contrary too much of the stuff today. Was the "standard 40k baht out patient and 400 baht inpatient coverage" not only for O-A visas ? Or has this changed ? The OP talks about a non-o-visa only. Or did I completely misunderstand something for months ?

10 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Maybe I had on the contrary too much of the stuff today. Was the "standard 40k baht out patient and 400 baht inpatient coverage" not only for O-A visas ? Or has this changed ? The OP talks about a non-o-visa only. Or did I completely misunderstand something for months ?

It is required for non-o visa application now. See my earlier post.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is only needed to a apply for a non-o visa based upon retirement at a embassy or consulate. It only has to be valid for the 90 day permit to stay it allows when entering the country.

See 2.6 here. https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/17/nonoretirement/

Thank you Ubonjoe. I do not want to be pedantic, but does this mean that it is not needed for a non-o based upon marriage since you only mention "upon retirement" in your post 11 hours ago (see above)? Or is it as you say in your recent answer 17 minutes ago "It is required for non-o-visa application now" - so both for non-o based on marriage or retirement alike ? The link you posted shows the information "Non-Immigrant Category O (retirement).

3 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Thank you Ubonjoe. I do not want to be pedantic, but does this mean that it is not needed for a non-o based upon marriage since you only mention "upon retirement" in your post 11 hours ago (see above)? Or is it as you say in your recent answer 17 minutes ago "It is required for non-o-visa application now" - so both for non-o based on marriage or retirement alike ? The link you posted shows the information "Non-Immigrant Category O (retirement).

It is not required for a non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai.

• Thanks 1

So to be clear (I hope), I will be traveling on the 26th of Dec with a Non-O visa staying for 107 days-I will need Covid-19 coverage of $50,000 USD for the total stay of 107 days. 

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You would need the insurance valid to the day your re-entry permit expires.

I have not seen much info about the 50k baht insurance. 

Joe, I'm guessing that re-entry permit expire date will be the same date as my O imm extension expire date ?

On 11/2/2021 at 7:29 AM, ubonjoe said:

And the $50k corvid 19 insurance valid for 90 days.

Does anyone know what problems I might have when applying for the Thailand Pass regarding Covid Insurance? I've found a decent insurance cover in the UK that covers my needs for 3 months including Covid, the policy states (Emergency medical and Repatriation Cover for emergency medical expenses and repatriation (returning to the UK) are included if you catch COVID-19 while you're away. This will be included as part of your medical cover limits) which is £20m 

I've read that most are rejected because of the insurance, does it specifically have to worded Covid Insurance up to $50k on the policy or will they understand this & except it?

Sounds like a silly question but you never know & i want to be prepared......

Thanks in Advance...

Baz

16 hours ago, Peter pop said:

Here are some websites that provide Health and Covid Insurance for returnees to Thailand. Age not a problem from what  I see. 

https://www.lumahealth.com/travel-insurance/covid-insurance/

https://www.insubuy.com/travel-medical-insurance-quotes/

12 hours ago, Peter pop said:

You advised me above .....You would need the insurance valid to the day your re-entry permit expires.   These two statements contradict..

The 2 are not the same insurance.

I was replying to a question about the insurance to apply for a non-o visa at a embassy or consulate.

The other one is about the insurance needed to enter the country.

15 hours ago, Peter pop said:

You advised me above .....You would need the insurance valid to the day your re-entry permit expires.   These two statements contradict..

OK Thanks Joe, so returning with a Non O and marriage extension for Thai wife I do not need any insurance.  That is great, just saved >US$ 3000

21 minutes ago, Peter pop said:

OK Thanks Joe, so returning with a Non O and marriage extension for Thai wife I do not need any insurance.  That is great, just saved >US$ 3000

You only need the insurance to required to enter the country.

The discussion was about needing to apply for a non-o visa based upon marriage.

6 hours ago, kokopelli said:

Here are some websites that provide Health and Covid Insurance for returnees to Thailand. Age not a problem from what  I see. 

https://www.lumahealth.com/travel-insurance/covid-insurance/

https://www.insubuy.com/travel-medical-insurance-quotes/

It appears the Luma policy is available only to people born in 1946 or later i.e. until age 75 only

the other link is geared to US citizens

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/3/2021 at 1:57 PM, Sheryl said:

It appears the Luma policy is available only to people born in 1946 or later i.e. until age 75 only

the other link is geared to US citizens

So does that mean that I am trapped here.  I am 80 in April and cannot find insurance of $50,000 to re-enter.