Citalopram in Thailand - how to get it?

Lemsta69

@Sherylhi Sheryl I'll be retiring to Thailand in a month or two and so I'd like to ask you what you know about getting a prescription for Citalopram.

I read some earlier posts of yours and they said that it's approved but nobody has a license to import and that escitalopram at lower dosage is a viable alternative for some.

why's the current state of play do you know?

also can a normal doctor prescribe these drugs or do I have to see a psychiatrist?

I'll initially be heading to Pattaya so would be looking at BPH for this if required. or I can fly to anywhere in Thailand if there's a "go to" hospital.

thanks in advance

ps. love your work, you're a legend 😁

Citalopram is still nto available in Thailand.

Escitalopram can be purchased at a pharmacy without a prescription (true of most medications in Thailand).

I would suggest you make the switch in consultation with your doctor before traveling here so as to already be stabilized on it

Just now, Sheryl said:

Escitalopram can be purchased at a pharmacy without a prescription (true of most medications in Thailand).

I would suggest you make the switch in consultation with your doctor before traveling here so as to already be stabilized on it

thanks for the prompt response Sheryl, that's good to know. also thanks for the suggestion about migrating to escitalopram before I leave.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2021 at 3:28 PM, Sheryl said:

hi Sheryl, I followed your suggestion and went to see my GP about replacing Citalopram with Escitalopram before I leave. he agreed and wrote me a script for Lexapro 20mg. I vaguely recall that in another post you mentioned that the normal dosage is half that of Citalopram so I'm taking a half tablet every day and it's going very well. in fact the Lexapro is much "smoother" than the Cipramil.

Thanks again for your assistance.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 2:56 AM, Lemsta69 said:

hi Sheryl, I followed your suggestion and went to see my GP about replacing Citalopram with Escitalopram before I leave. he agreed and wrote me a script for Lexapro 20mg. I vaguely recall that in another post you mentioned that the normal dosage is half that of Citalopram so I'm taking a half tablet every day and it's going very well. in fact the Lexapro is much "smoother" than the Cipramil.

Thanks again for your assistance.

795 baht for 28 tablets on here (for when you run out)

https://medtide.com/product/escitalopram-esidep-10-mg-lexapro-alternative/

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2021 at 5:59 AM, cyril sneer said:

795 baht for 28 tablets on here (for when you run out)

https://medtide.com/product/escitalopram-esidep-10-mg-lexapro-alternative/

g'day Cyril I just received my first batch of the generic Lexapro you recommended. saved me a bundle thanks mate. I can't believe how exxy the actual brand is here and I'm not short of a bob. they're wanting 1,650 baht for a 28 pack of 10 mg! that's a far cry from what I was paying back in Oz (yeah yeah I know, we're not in Kansas anymore) 😁

• Like 1