Thai Airways vs Qatar Airways

phetphet

So today I was checking flights BKK to LHR via DOH on Qatar for 14th November returning 23rd November. 

Booking economy, their mid priced ticket, plus selected seats on all four flights BKK -DOH-LHR at almost £20 per flight, only available over wing, flight 17+ hours came to £798. including the £78.80 for seat selection. Boeing 777-300.

I thought I would have a look at Thai because direct is only around 13+ hours.

Economy, mid priced ticket, free seat selection over wing. Came to £680.27. Boeing 777-300ER

The only difference I can see is Qatar has a 3-4-3 configuration, while Thai has a 3-3-3.

Qatar looks cheaper to begin with, but like Ryanair, once you start adding any extras, the price soon shoots up.

Has anyone flown the Thai BKK - LHR route recently? How was it?

I’ve been looking at returning one-way flight to Thailand (from the UK)

And also at return flights over Christmas (BKK-UK-BKK)

Thai Airways have always been more expensive that any competitors. 

I just ran a quick search:

Qatar Airways: 24,620 Baht (25 kgs allowance - extra charge for seat selection)

Thai Airways:  30,005 Baht (35 kgs allowance - no charge for seat selection)

So... as you wrote - the flights are close enough in price to warrant flying Thai if you prefer the quicker A-B and prefer not to Change planes.

However, the same flights for business class: 

Qatar Airways: 113,175 Baht

Thai Airways:  154,440 Baht 

BUT - The most of the return Thai Airways flights at the moment are ‘via Phuket’ then on to Bangkok - I expect this will change as Thai Airways management catch up with quarantine requirements (this is just one example of how poorly run Thai Airways are).

That said: Thai Airways definitely seem to have brought down their fares (to Europe anyway) as they are now approaching the reals of being 'competitive’ especially for those who prefer a direct flight. 

40 minutes ago, phetphet said:

So today I was checking flights BKK to LHR via DOH on Qatar for 14th November returning 23rd November. 

Going to miss the entire visit and that return flight if the first arrival test is positive with only 9 days in the country and you get scooped off !

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Splashed out and went Qatar Q suite...what the hell....you're only old once.

My Thai g/f and I booked the Qatar Q suite as ot was her birthday on the eay to Thailand. Didn't get it and there was none on the flight, despite it being advertised. Hower Qatar BC is far superior to most airlines BC. 

Just now, Kildonan said:

My Thai g/f and I booked the Qatar Q suite as ot was her birthday on the eay to Thailand. Didn't get it and there was none on the flight, despite it being advertised. Hower Qatar BC is far superior to most airlines BC. 

Apologies for spelling, fat fingers! 

17 hours ago, Kildonan said:

I am confused?

Do you mean the airplane was changed to a different model with no Q suites????

I take it you got a full refund?

On 11/3/2021 at 9:36 AM, Will B Good said:

I am confused?

Do you mean the airplane was changed to a different model with no Q suites????

I take it you got a full refund?

Qatar are well known for making late aircraft changes like this.  They do however offer one free of charge change if they more you away from a Q Suite flight.

Thai air could cancel flight and you'll never see your money again.

There in terrible financial trouble.

I've heard they don't have backseat entertainment because they haven't paid the licensing fees.

Maybe this has been resolved.

I'd play it safe and avoid Thai Airways.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, treetops said:

Qatar are well known for making late aircraft changes like this.  They do however offer one free of charge change if they more you away from a Q Suite flight.

Don't tell me you could end up in economy and the sweetener is a free of charge change!!!!!