Thailand Insurance Requirement for Non-O Visa

Hi, I am kind of confused on subject, do I need Health or Covid-19 insurance for $50,000 USD to enter Thailand. Planning ahead for departure from the USA on 27 December and trying with extension to stay for 107 days at my second home in Ubon.  Married to a Thai, have my 3 Pfizer shots, will be age 75 in December when I travel which seems to be problematic since insurance it is hard to find at my age. Please recommend Insurance companies that will insure me. Thanks in advance. "Happy Travels."

I have covid insurance for 1 year.  See attachment.  I have a non 'O' retirement visa with a re-entry stamp in my passport.  Is this going to work for my Thailand Pass?  It was accepted for my COE (which I did not use due to change of plans.)  Thank you.

Foreign Insurance Certificate Burton Schrader corrected.pdf TUNE COVID insurance 00001_19643_MSUW0262CVCL1_414419_1.pdf

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Do you have a valid visa or a re-entry permit to enter the country? If not how do you plan on staying for 107 days?

You will need the $50,000 for the length of stay you will get when entering the country. You can find insurance at the age of 75. I think many people are getting travel insurance to get the insurance.

By the time you need to purchase the insurance and apply for a Thailand Pass there may be more choices for the insurance available.

You will need a vaccination certificate to prove you are fully vaccinated so you can do the test and go one night stay in Bangkok. 

Info is here for the Thailand pass is here. https://www.mfa.go.th/en/content/thailand-pass-faqs?page=5d5bd3cb15e39c306002a9b2&menu=5d5bd3dd15e39c306002ab1e

Thanks Ubonjoe, So the Insurance is "Health Insurance"- $50,000USD. My plan was to get an extension for the 107 days, Is that possible?

Thailand pass insurance for NON 'O' retirement visa. I have the covid insurance, screenshots below, and this was accepted for my (unused) COE.  I am a (married) resident with a yellow book, pink card etc. and my current retirement visa needs to be extended for 1 year on 26 01 2022 or before.  I have a re entry stamp valid until then although I plan to return from France 02 12 2021. 

I am currently in Thailand and am just going to France to sign some legal documents. Is this health insurance requirement going to be a feature required to remain resident here for NON 'O' visa holders?  (It is currently not, as you are no doubt aware) Will it be enough to take a new policy for 2 months up to when I will apply for the 1 year extension? 

I am 73 and health insurance is not readily available and what is offered is very very costly.  Thank you. (very much)

Screenshot (15).png

Screenshot (14).png

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dan747 said:

Thanks Ubonjoe, So the Insurance is "Health Insurance"- $50,000USD. My plan was to get an extension for the 107 days, Is that possible?

You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

What visa will you be applying for to enter the country or are you entering visa exempt to get a 30 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

If you enter visa exempt the insurance will only need to be valid for 30 days.

6 hours ago, notrub said:

I have covid insurance for 1 year.  See attachment.  I have a non 'O' retirement visa with a re-entry stamp in my passport.  Is this going to work for my Thailand Pass?  It was accepted for my COE (which I did not use due to change of plans.)  Thank you.

Foreign Insurance Certificate Burton Schrader corrected.pdf 393.67 kB · 8 downloads TUNE COVID insurance 00001_19643_MSUW0262CVCL1_414419_1.pdf 892.4 kB · 6 downloads

6 hours ago, notrub said:

Thailand pass insurance for NON 'O' retirement visa. I have the covid insurance, screenshots below, and this was accepted for my (unused) COE.  I am a (married) resident with a yellow book, pink card etc. and my current retirement visa needs to be extended for 1 year on 26 01 2022 or before.  I have a re entry stamp valid until then although I plan to return from France 02 12 2021. 

I am currently in Thailand and am just going to France to sign some legal documents. Is this health insurance requirement going to be a feature required to remain resident here for NON 'O' visa holders?  (It is currently not, as you are no doubt aware) Will it be enough to take a new policy for 2 months up to when I will apply for the 1 year extension? 

I am 73 and health insurance is not readily available and what is offered is very very costly.  Thank you. (very much)

Screenshot (15).png

Screenshot (14).png

I see there are different dates but the same policy number on the 2 documents. Have you purchased 2 policies? I would be very grateful for some clarification on the Tune policy, I have purchased the same Tune 15000 baht one for my Thailand pass application and am unsure if it will be accepted (my visa is Non-O expiry may 20). Trying to clarify with them if it is covid only and if will be accepted by Thai immigration, but they not replied to emails and dont answer phone.

56 minutes ago, rem888 said:

I see there are different dates but the same policy number on the 2 documents. Have you purchased 2 policies? I would be very grateful for some clarification on the Tune policy, I have purchased the same Tune 15000 baht one for my Thailand pass application and am unsure if it will be accepted (my visa is Non-O expiry may 20). Trying to clarify with them if it is covid only and if will be accepted by Thai immigration, but they not replied to emails and dont answer phone.

It is because I changed my travel dates.   They had made a mistake with the foreign certificate and put the new dates on it when they made the corrections.  The 'health insurance' is a new requirement and I don't really understand if the covid policy will be accepted now.

Non 'O' visa holder do not normally have to provide health insurance and I am confused about this.

They (Tune) offered me iPass on their travel insurance product.  My covid policy has not started and they have not responded to my question about re imbursement.  I only need 2 months insurance at 5200 THB.  They respond to email.   Sometimes.  Try this one below.

Hathaichanok Keawlieng <[email protected]>

1 hour ago, rem888 said:

Ubonjoe posted this as info re Thaipass.  Requires health insurance.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

What visa will you be applying for to enter the country or are you entering visa exempt to get a 30 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

If you enter visa exempt the insurance will only need to be valid for 30 days.

I will be applying for a NON-O visa for 90 days. 

19 minutes ago, Dan747 said:

I will be applying for a NON-O visa for 90 days. 

With a 60 day extension that would allow about 150 day stay.

A 30 day visa exempt entry, than a 30 day extension of it and the 60 day extension would allow a total stay of 120 days.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, notrub said:

Foreign Insurance Certificate Burton Schrader corrected.pdf 393.67 kB · 10 downloads TUNE COVID insurance 00001_19643_MSUW0262CVCL1_414419_1.pdf 892.4 kB · 8 downloads

That seems to be too cheap to be a general medical insurance. Tune Protect starts from around 31K baht for one year policy. What is in the wording (or the product disclosure statement) of the policy?

Depending whether you need to travel out of Thailand during your year of cover you may, or may not need annual policy (which you seem you have already)

The condition of the annual multi trip policy is that you can stay max 180 days in the country, you need to leave and come back (which is quite common for multi trip travel policies).

From the "policy wording" at their site:

" As for the annual trip coverage for multiple trips, an insuring period shall be the same as that of Item
2.3.1 and each maximum insuring period shall not exceed 180 days.  "

13 hours ago, notrub said:

It is because I changed my travel dates.   They had made a mistake with the foreign certificate and put the new dates on it when they made the corrections.  The 'health insurance' is a new requirement and I don't really understand if the covid policy will be accepted now.

Non 'O' visa holder do not normally have to provide health insurance and I am confused about this.

They (Tune) offered me iPass on their travel insurance product.  My covid policy has not started and they have not responded to my question about re imbursement.  I only need 2 months insurance at 5200 THB.  They respond to email.   Sometimes.  Try this one below.

Hathaichanok Keawlieng <[email protected]>

I share your confusion. I was clear that the Tune annual policy for 15000 was covid 19 cover only, but it was advertised as "Satisfies Immigration Requirement" and that is my query. However, from its wording, your second policy ("This health insurance also covers covid-19 etc") implies broad cover even though it contains the same policy number as the 15000 baht covid policy-

I`ve just winged another email to them asking for clarification and if neccesary I will change the cover, but so far they are not responding.

19 hours ago, notrub said:

Ubonjoe posted this as info re Thaipass.  Requires health insurance.

This part is confusing to me:

" Does my insurance have to be a COVID-19 insurance in order to register with Thailand Pass?

- No. You can also use general insurance or health insurance with a minimum coverage of 50,000 USD."

As it seems to imply that one can use a COCID-obnly policy, whereas elsewhere I have read it must be a general health policy.

Huge difference in terms of availability for people over 75.

Has anyone gotten approval on ThailandPass with a COVID only policy?

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

" Does my insurance have to be a COVID-19 insurance in order to register with Thailand Pass?

- No. You can also use general insurance or health insurance with a minimum coverage of 50,000 USD."

As it seems to imply that one can use a COCID-obnly policy, whereas elsewhere I have read it must be a general health policy.

I have applied for the Thailand Pass with the Tune covid 15000 baht policy and no acceptance yet. The web advertising from Tune says  "Satisfies Immigration Requirement" in big, bold and prominent position. I am unable to contact Tune to clarify. No reply to emails (have read receipts) and phone calls to several options just rings unanswered.  I am considering buying the Axa one and cancelling Tune but that wont be easy. God knows how you would resolve a claim with them.

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I think this FAQ item is trying to address whether one needs to take out a separate Covid-specific policy on top of one's standard medical insurance in order to satisfy Thailand Pass. It seems that the answer to this narrow question is "no", however in my opinion it does not address whether Covid-specific insurance by itself would satisfy the Thailand Pass requirements. From what I've read elsewhere, I don't think it would.

I have not yet seen any updates to the TGIA members' offerings that would bring them into line with the new requirements, but I suspect they will roll something out shortly. I would not be surprised to see age limits on the new products in line with travel insurance standards, but I don't know this for a fact.

19 hours ago, rem888 said:

I have applied for the Thailand Pass with the Tune covid 15000 baht policy and no acceptance yet. The web advertising from Tune says  "Satisfies Immigration Requirement" in big, bold and prominent position. I am unable to contact Tune to clarify. No reply to emails (have read receipts) and phone calls to several options just rings unanswered.  I am considering buying the Axa one and cancelling Tune but that wont be easy. God knows how you would resolve a claim with them.

It may be that it satisfied the previous Immigration requirements.

There seems to be a disconnect/time lag between insurance products being offered by Thai companies and new entry requirements.

18 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I think this FAQ item is trying to address whether one needs to take out a separate Covid-specific policy on top of one's standard medical insurance in order to satisfy Thailand Pass. It seems that the answer to this narrow question is "no", however in my opinion it does not address whether Covid-specific insurance by itself would satisfy the Thailand Pass requirements. From what I've read elsewhere, I don't think it would.

I have not yet seen any updates to the TGIA members' offerings that would bring them into line with the new requirements, but I suspect they will roll something out shortly. I would not be surprised to see age limits on the new products in line with travel insurance standards, but I don't know this for a fact.

Neither do i, but like everything involved with insurance requirements, it is unclear.

Unless I have missed it, no one has gotten a Thailand Pass using COVID only policy.

On 11/3/2021 at 8:40 AM, ubonjoe said:

With a 60 day extension that would allow about 150 day stay.

A 30 day visa exempt entry, than a 30 day extension of it and the 60 day extension would allow a total stay of 120 days.

Ubonjoe, So your saying the above is a much better way to go concerning my 107 day stay.

Hi,

Sorry if the answer to my question is obvious, but I am all lost in the nuances (kind of like being all lost in the supermarket but without the melody).

Last April 2021, at CW, I received a 1-year Non-O (retirement) extension.   I also got a multiple re-entry permit.  My passport reentry permit indicates it is valid until 30 April 2022, allows multiple entries, and length of stay is until 30 April 2022.  I left soon after for my home country.  I plan to come back 8 December of this year and stay until 12 April, 2022.

I purchased 6 months of insurance which covers beyond that 30 April 2022 date.   Is that sufficient or will Immigration grant me a 1 year stay upon entry into Thailand (until December 2022) and, thus, I would need a full year's worth of insurance?

Thank you for your advice!

Tim

@tjintx: If you arrive in Dec. this year you should be stamped in to the last day of your permit, which then controls matters. Your intention to stay beyond that date does not matter, what matters is whether you do or do not renew your extension by April 30. You plausibly might not, and you might not stay till next December anyway; no one knows till it happens.  

Edited by Enzian

I'm glad I'm not planning to apply for one of these until next year as it's confusing as hell (doesn't even seem to be a consensus as to whether the insurance is $50K or $100K as I read both numbers in multiple threads). 

As I understand it:-

- All arrivees in Thailand have to have $50K (0r $100k) Insurance that covers the duration of the permission to stay given on arrival, assuming new Visas this would mean 

• Visa Exempt needs 30 days
  • Non-Imm O needs 90 days
  • Non-Imm OA need 1 year - Unsure as to whether their insurance also has to cover the general Non-Imm OA requirements of 400K inpatients & 40K outpatients. 
  • Thailand Elite need 1 year 

- The Insurnance must explicitly state that it covers COVID so best to get a separate certificate for this or at least get the insurance company to highlight it  

- There is no requirement to have any Out-Patient insurance (again, Non-Imm OA holders may need this as part of their general visa/extension requirements). 

Edited by Mike Teavee

58 minutes ago, tjintx said:

Enzian,  thank you for your reply.   Is the last day of my permit, in my example, the end of April 2022?   Or will they give me a new permit upon entry?

Thank you!

You have an extension based on a Non-Imm O visa with re-entry permit that's valid until 30th April 2022 so if you enter on 12th December 2021 you will be given a permission to stay of 90 days which will take you to 12th March 2022 & that's when your insurance policy needs to be valid to. 

If you want to stay beyond 12th March then you will need to either leave Thailand & re-enter or extend (I'm not sure this is possible in normal times but am sure there are COVID options in place to do an extension).

NB if you were to leave Thailand on (say) 10th March & come back the next day, you will only get a permission to stay until the end of your extension/re-entry permit (same date), obviously if you come back after 30th April you'll need a new visa or enter Visa Exempt. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

20 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

You have an extension based on a Non-Imm O visa with re-entry permit that's valid until 30th April 2022 so if you enter on 12th December 2021 you will be given a permission to stay of 90 days which will take you to 12th March 2022 & that's when your insurance policy needs to be valid to. 

Thank you Mike,

So, I should/need to change my return flight to be within the 90 days or risk issues with either the airline at check-in or Immigration upon entry (my understanding is that Thailand plus doesn't check visa nor return flights) or I would be ok with a return flight outside of the 90 day stay?

I had no idea that Non-O re-entry was subject to 90 day stay unless extended.   I thought it would be to the permit end date (proving to me again that assuming is especially dangerous with respect to immigration law).

Thank you!   Tim

41 minutes ago, tjintx said:

Thank you Mike,

So, I should/need to change my return flight to be within the 90 days or risk issues with either the airline at check-in or Immigration upon entry (my understanding is that Thailand plus doesn't check visa nor return flights) or I would be ok with a return flight outside of the 90 day stay?

I had no idea that Non-O re-entry was subject to 90 day stay unless extended.   I thought it would be to the permit end date (proving to me again that assuming is especially dangerous with respect to immigration law).

Thank you!   Tim

I don't agree with Mr Teavee; I've had a non-O for over 5 years and it never worked that way in my memory. I suspect he's thinking of something else. Find a way to ask ubonjoe. Get another opinion.

40 minutes ago, Enzian said:

I don't agree with Mr Teavee; I've had a non-O for over 5 years and it never worked that way in my memory. I suspect he's thinking of something else. Find a way to ask ubonjoe. Get another opinion.

Are you sure you didn't have a Non-OA visa which gives you up to 1 year (or to the end of the visa/extension) on entry? 

Non-Imm O Visas come in Multi (which gives you unlimited 90 day entries for 1 year) & single (Which gives you a single 90 day entry) but they only give a 90 day permission to stay.

Trust me, I have approx 20 stamps in my passport for 2018 & 2019, each of them giving me 90 days to stay on my Non-Imm O (Multi) as I used to visit Bangkok from Singapore every other weekend.

Edited by Mike Teavee

1 hour ago, tjintx said:

Thank you Mike,

Thank you!   Tim

No Tim, as long as you have a Visa you should be fine with a return ticket outside of the 90 days.