Ford Ranger 2.2 Diesel Questions

4MyEgo

Hi Just a couple of quick questions for those in the know.

I have a Ford Ranger and have always had a mechanic do the oil and filter changes every 15,000 km's, that said, he is now toast.

So what I would like to know is what oils you use, I use Shell Helix 5W 30, but not sure how much to put in.

I saw that the old mechanic only put in a 4 little and a 1 litre container each time, that said, I have found an alternate mechanic who said he doesn't stock it, but if I buy the oil, he will do the oil change for 200 baht, he has the oil filter in stock for 250 baht.

I would think if I purchased 2 x 4 litre containers and whatever he doesn't use, I would use it next time to top it up with another 4 litre container.

Would do it myself but have a back problem, besides the labour is cheap enough.

Also cost over the counter if anyone knows.

As always thanks in advance.

Edited by 4MyEgo

You could actually consult the manual for recommended amount.  200 baht is cheap enough, and 250 for filter is also cheap enough.  Just ask how much is oil next time you fuel up.

4L sound a little shy for a 2.2, but TBH, I haven't a clue, as haven't done on oil change in 20 years.  After the change, after driving a km or 2 stop &, just check the level and top up next time you get fuel if needed.

This sounds better 8L

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Would do it myself but have a back problem, besides the labour is cheap enough.

That's exactly how I think our local Cockpit does my Isuzu which takes 7 litres they Mobil 1 which is ideal for any truck or car. 

As you say the cost is too little to consider doing it myself. 

B. Quik are OK for oil changes to alledgely.

• Thanks 1

A Ford Ranger 2.2 takes around 7.7 liter for a full oil change. Shell Helix 5W30 is more than good enough, but I always use Ford Motorcraft as it's generally cheaper than Shell.

• Like 1