Motorbike Helmet

PoorSucker

10 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I would even replace a helmet if it fell onto the floor from the tank, which is easy to do.

They can withstand much more punishment than that without losing any integrity but I agree with your last statement.

12 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

but in my view you can never spend too much.

My philosophy is that if you have to wear something on your head then wear something decent. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bobandyson said:

My philosophy is that if you have to wear something on your head then wear something decent. 

After seeing my work mates helmet, I've decided to upgrade my helmet.

When I lived on Samui it never went fast.

Here in Pattaya I drive way faster.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Please get something better than an INDEX, it doesn't have to cost a fortune.

Index is really not what I'm looking for.

My problem is my size (61) and slightly oval head.

Hard to find something comfortable.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

........ the crash helmet he brought from England, which was very expensive, is illegal in Thailand because it doesn't have the Thai standard.

About 20 years ago it was possible to buy the TSI stickers from M/C shops.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Please get something better than an INDEX, it doesn't have to cost a fortune.

I have had an INDEX full face helmet for years and it is time for a new one.

I don't want to spend a fortune, but just want something which is functional for me, as I would only travel about 5 km per day on my little Honda 110cc scooter, and would rarely go above 35 km/h, if that (I also have a car so they have a split use).

The store I have just been to in Patong hasn't got much of a choice, so I may go into Phuket town tomorrow and have a look, so any suggestions on a reasonable helmet at a reasonable price?

14 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Economising on something that could save your life is as stupid as deciding that Sinovac will be ok because you don't want to spend too much and it is legal and besides, you only go into crowds every other Tuesday.

Consider this - how much would a new head cost?

Who said anything about "economising"?

As I said I don't want to spend a fortune, and I know you can spend 30,000+ baht on a helmet, but I'm not prepared to do that and something which is functional and has been tested by one or another testing organisations would suit me fine.

So less of the "jumping to conclusions" please, and I find your post insulting, and for what it's worth I wouldn't buy some of the rubbish I see on the shelves, or other folks wearing for that matter.

I've seen how much damage can be done in a motorcycle crash, having helped a friend of mine when he crashed his 650 AJS into a lamppost, and unfortunately his girlfriend slid along the road on her face and the damage done to it was awful.

That's why I will be getting a fullface helmet and travelling at around 30 kph I doubt whether I will suffer the same fate.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

A friend of mine who has 7 superbikes in Thailand told me the crash helmet he brought from England, which was very expensive, is illegal in Thailand because it doesn't have the Thai standard.

How much <deleted> is this?

I believe you can pay too much..... I shopped for one to bring back to Thailand in the UK, and at the local big-bike shop the prices were a joke.  Ended up using a mail order supplier, better selection and the same helmets far less. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

He said illegal in what way? 

Cannot import?

Cannot use in competition?

Because It doesn't have the Thai standard, It is illegal to use it as a skid lid. Even though it is a far superior product to the <deleted> you buy out of somewhere like Tesco's

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThaIrish Sean said:
16 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

He said illegal in what way? 

Cannot import?

Cannot use in competition?

1 hour ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

Because It doesn't have the Thai standard, It is illegal to use it as a skid lid. Even though it is a far superior product to the <deleted> you buy out of somewhere like Tesco's

It has been said before on this forum that you cannot use a helmet here unless it has the TIS approval logo on it. (see below) I've never seen that officially in writing, but it makes sense and does actually reflect the law in the UK regarding the 'kitemark' standard.

Having said that, I've been using an imported LS2 helmet for 7 years now and no policeman has ever bothered to look closely at it.

I would agree that Tesco's is not the best place to shop for a helmet.

TIS Mark.png

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 2:47 PM, PoorSucker said:

I don't think a helmet that gone through a crash is safe anymore, what do you guys think.

As others have suggested, they are single crash protective equipment.  They lose their structural integrity after a knock.  

I don't even leave mine in the sun, as the UV compromises the materials.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Did you read I said "leave mine in the sun" not "ride in the sun?"  

Yes i did.

Do the UV's not 'compromise the materials' when you're driving in the sun though?

Most long timers here learn long ago always to park in the shade.....doh!!! Guess you missed that trick, stick with me buttercup, i'll keep you right - lol.

I'm actually still laughing about that comment, one of you best yet ( of many ).

On 11/3/2021 at 3:43 PM, ThaIrish Sean said:

A friend of mine who has 7 superbikes in Thailand told me the crash helmet he brought from England, which was very expensive, is illegal in Thailand because it doesn't have the Thai standard.

How much <deleted> is this?

I have read the same. I think Shark helmets are the only one that do.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Yes i did.

Do the UV's not 'compromise the materials' when you're driving in the sun though?

Most long timers here learn long ago always to park in the shade.....doh!!! Guess you missed that trick, stick with me buttercup, i'll keep you right - lol.

I'm actually still laughing about that comment, one of you best yet ( of many ).

You assumed I leave my helmet with my bike.  I have a Shoei helmet.  I'm not leaving it sitting on the handlebars, even if in the shade.  

UV is one reason why people put stickers on their helmets.  

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You assumed I leave my helmet with my bike.  I have a Shoei helmet.  I'm not leaving it sitting on the handlebars, even if in the shade.  

UV is one reason why people put stickers on their helmets.  

I have a Shoei helmet too ( GT air 2 ), very nice. Needs a new liner tho which they want 5K for which i find a bit expensive. In the meantine i'll use my Shuberth.

FYI, the adhesives on stickers also compromise the helmets materials and should never be put on, thought you'd have known that? 

What protection from UV's does your helmet have when you're riding in the sun or do you only go out at night? 

7 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

FYI, the adhesives on stickers also compromise the helmets materials and should never be put on, thought you'd have known that? 

The risk is so low that it is near non existent.

8 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

What protection from UV's does your helmet have when you're riding in the sun or do you only go out at night? 

I don't ride around in the sun enough for it to become an issue.  

9 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I have a Shoei helmet too ( GT air 2 ), very nice. Needs a new liner tho which they want 5K for which i find a bit expensive.

I swap mine out ever few years, which also fixes the UV issue.