More than 65 thousand sign up for Thailand Pass

webfact

Just now, gejohesch said:

Correction. I checked again and it says clearly "COVID coverage". My apologies. However, I just visited the TGIA site to check for an insurance and could not enter the dates because the site does not allow anything past December! Can you just believe that???? I plan to go to Thailand early January. What <"#@!§> system! ????????

TGIA is the Thai General Insurance Association recommended by the Thai embassy.

The requirement is for $50K US of general health insurance that includes COVID coverage.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, koele2 said:

These guys always have online problems when they launch something.  The reason is very simple.  The people they hire to handle all the online stuff are friends and/or some sort of kickback scheme is going on.  They do not get the most competent people to do the job.  Not all Thais are incompetent, only the ones that make it to the top.  That’s the system they created for themselves.

Oh please.  When they rolled out the the electronic vaccination certificates in the west there were tons of problems at first.  There always are with these things at first.  People were on here beaking off about what a failure thai pass was day 1, which is laughable. Most if not all the problems are sorted now.

Edited by shdmn
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Gloat later - let's say January/February.  They're aiming at tourists right?  Very few tourists are going to accept this hassle, there are lots of alternatives now.  I'm pretty sure that the majority of those applying now are those with connections to Thailand who've been waiting a very long time to see their families etc.  Only when they've visited will it be clear if this initiative is working as intended.

I know for a fact that if I didn't have any connections to Thailand, I'd be taking my holidays elsewhere - somewhere that appreciates my visit and my cash, not makes it as difficult as possible.

Trying to get to Thailand has been a shambles since they first started allowing travel again - July 2020?  The first stupidity was embassies telling you to book a flight and a hotel with no date and it continues.

Either open or close - up to you Thailand.

Just like you all were saying about Phuket.  ????

I have friends there giving me first hand accounts.  The place is pumping according to them.  Not like a normal Nov of course, but in a good way.  So not too busy.

Of course you don't see many whiner threads about it anymore because the serial whiners did what they always do, move on to the next shiny object.

Edited by shdmn
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, shdmn said:

Just like Phuket.  ????

I have friends there giving me first hand accounts.  The place is pumping according to them.  Not like a normal Nov of course, but in a good way.  So not too busy.

Let's wait and see when this initial rush is over.  I have friends there too and just 2 weeks ago I was told it was dead. Nowhere's going to be 'pumping' if people can't get their Thailand Pass - anyone who's travelled recently is almost certainly on COE.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Let's wait and see when this initial rush is over.  I have friends there too and just 2 weeks ago I was told it was dead. Nowhere's going to be 'pumping' if people can't get their Thailand Pass - anyone who's travelled recently is almost certainly on COE.

Enjoy your 'waiting'. ????

I'm busy finalizing my plans.

Edited by shdmn
  • Confused 1

I guess i'll just continue to eat my popcorn, while i watch naïve travellers get humbled by the reality of today:

Governments around the world lock people in a growing web of vague rules/restrictions/paperwork that are impossible to comply with. Instead of living your life, your time is spend on dealing with the next new set of unclear and changing rules.

The life of simple freedom and simple joy we all dream of, is an illusion that's drifting further away. You're stuck in their web.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, ray richards said:

So if that is all true with the 65,000 application backlog, what is the recommended application period before my flight on 30th Nov ? I was going to send the application for Thailand Pass 10 days before my departure date but not sure now, maybe apply at least 2 weeks before my departure date??

Now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

I would apply now but please read all the posts available and get your application right. I have heard people using hotmail accounts are not getting email confirmations so just in case use a gmail account as that seems to at least give you an email confirmation.

That would prove awkward as I've had my Hotmail account for about 15 year. That would be the same email id use when booking hotel etc. If not Hotmail then would the same be said for a free Gmail account.

Edited by nomadinuk

21 minutes ago, nomadinuk said:

That would prove awkward as I've had my Hotmail account for about 15 year. That would be the same email id use when booking hotel etc. If not Hotmail then would the same be said for a free Gmail account.

Many problems reported with hotmail and/or outlook accounts.

Gmail and yahoo email addresses seem to be the most successful to date.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shdmn said:

Enjoy your 'waiting'. ????

I'm busy finalizing my plans.

I'm not waiting for anything, I'm booked already - I doubt many tourists would put up with what people are having to though, not when there are other choices without 1 Night No Quarantine Qurantine, Thailand Pass that doesn't appear to be working too well and ambiguities regarding what type of insurance they need. Those that are prepared to accept all that could possibly be a little disappointed when they arrive.

16 hours ago, bluemoonpattaya said:

What could create a bigger problem, could be the back log of PCR test results in Thailand. A PCR test is required on arrival at Bangkok airport, and the mandatory 1 day quarantine in a Thai hotel could become 2 or 3 days, depending on how many PCR tests they can process per day. You would not be allowed to leave the hotel until you have your test result 

This is why it is important to not only look at the costs or the first night's lodging, but also susequent nights. The cost of the PCR test and travel form the airport should be included in the first night, but not the second. If you are capitive for 2-3 nights, the chance of getting gouged for those subsequent nights is pretty high I would say. If you need the extra nights, you have no choice where you go.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

An illustration of just how frustrating one single facet of the process can be - and I haven't even applied for Thailand Pass yet.

Booking my hotel (most of these actions are 1 day apart):

Booking 'request' made on aq.in.th

Request transfered to the hotel.

E-mail received asking for copies of my passport, flight tickets and insurance.

The above sent to the hotel together with a request for bank details to enable payment transfer.

E-mail received asking for vaccination certificate - no mention of bank details.

The above sent with yet another request for bank details.

E-mail received as if I was a new customer enquring about a room.

Phone call asking what they are talking about, I've already made a booking, I just need to pay for it and receive confirmation - I don't think the girl understood what I was asking even though I used as much Thai as possible. - promised to e-mail me.

No e-mail received - got a friend in Bangkok to call them and explain.

Today. friend called them - they understood, said there had been an 'internal mistake' and would email me.

Today - e-mail received asking for all my documents again! But this time they at least gave me the payment details.

Today - documents sent again, payment made by bank transfer from my Thai account.

Today - transaction receipt sent, as per request - awaiting confirmation of booking.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is just to make a hotel booking - I began that process on Monday!

I can book 2 weeks in the Canary Islands with about 10 mouse clicks!

Had,the same problem.If it wasn't for the fact,I have a GF in Thailand,that could pay the hotel and speak to them directly,it would have been impossible to make the booking.Goodluck waiting for your comfirmation.

Edited by spud1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bluemoonpattaya said:

...A PCR test is required on arrival at Bangkok airport...

The PCR test following arrival at Suvarnabhumi airport (BKK) is not done at the airport but at the no-quarantine quarantine hotel.

5 minutes ago, Puccini said:

The PCR test following arrival at Suvarnabhumi airport (BKK) is not done at the airport but at the no-quarantine quarantine hotel.

Hopefully they eventually do that instead of the quarantine, like they are doing in Phuket.

Edited by shdmn

23 hours ago, TC17 said:

As day 4 comes to an end, still no word.  What is the experience of others?  How long is a response taking for you?  I applied Nov. 1 and my flight is Nov. 12. 

i applied november 1st , now its the 5th , i am supposed to fly on the 15th november, still not heard a thing, not even a confirmation email to say the  application has been recieved , so i have sent it everyday since hoping to get said email as i dont even know if the application has been recieved by the system , 

• Like 1

The title implies that they know exactly how many therefore who has registered, has been granted with the Pass and who is on the waiting list.

Would it be possible to post the list of names here ? At least we would know where we stand ???? 

• Haha 1

They certainly know how to make a simple task difficult. Registering for a Thai Pass requires submission of documents such as Hotel Booking Confirmation, Insurance Policy and more.

These documents when received are usually in text format and comprise more than one page.

But, the Thai pass application only accepts png, jpeg picture format. a three page document ends up with three picture format files. One has to already convert all these documents and hope further questions do not require similar attempts at conversion.

I have witnessed the profusion of IT systems over the last few years and  wonder whether Systems Analysts obey the Rule of Customer First when defining the solution!

fgmr

• Like 2

5 hours ago, funky moped said:

i applied november 1st , now its the 5th , i am supposed to fly on the 15th november, still not heard a thing, not even a confirmation email to say the  application has been recieved , so i have sent it everyday since hoping to get said email as i dont even know if the application has been recieved by the system , 

You can try the Alternative Quarantine method, which seems to work.

6951CE5F-C8B5-4551-8745-503560AADD7E.png

7 hours ago, fgmr said:

They certainly know how to make a simple task difficult. Registering for a Thai Pass requires submission of documents such as Hotel Booking Confirmation, Insurance Policy and more.

These documents when received are usually in text format and comprise more than one page.

But, the Thai pass application only accepts png, jpeg picture format. a three page document ends up with three picture format files. One has to already convert all these documents and hope further questions do not require similar attempts at conversion.

I have witnessed the profusion of IT systems over the last few years and  wonder whether Systems Analysts obey the Rule of Customer First when defining the solution!

fgmr

Just found this on facebook:

image.png.1460335b3f658c2d4e20cea178cc3a9d.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, gejohesch said:

In the case of Thailand, it's much more than the Peter Principle, it's rather the result the "close circle" system which is characteristic in the national culture. "Close circle" includes the people "I know well and in a positive mode", i.e. family + people from the same region + people from the same school etc". It's not exactly a class system. Whoever is in the "close circle" will systematically pass in front of anyone else, regardless of skills, competence, qualities etc. Unless there is a lot to gain of course, hence corruption.

Like many things in Thailand, it's difficult for a farang (like myself) to really understand and/or to explain. I'm sure many in the forum will know what I'm talking about and will be able to lay it out more clearly.

I don't know, you explained it pretty well IMO.

A sort of summary could be "Jobs for the boys (or girls)" or perhaps "It's who you know, not what you know"

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nomadinuk said:

Why does it matter how long you've had your address?

You can create a new one in about 20 seconds - I have many addresses - all for different  purposes and given to different people.

Example, i would never share the address I use for banking with a forum. It also means I can prioritise the important from the trivial.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, shdmn said:

Oh please.  When they rolled out the the electronic vaccination certificates in the west there were tons of problems at first.  There always are with these things at first.  People were on here beaking off about what a failure thai pass was day 1, which is laughable. Most if not all the problems are sorted now.

Not everywhere. In UK I got my first vax in February, booked online, (NHS App) with an immediate offer of a 2nd one in May, booked online.

Both gave me a choice of vax centres and both appeared on the App within days.

Yesterday, I was offered my booster, booked for end of November. I fully expect that to appear on the NHS App in due course.

That is one thing that UK has done right!

4 hours ago, dutchweller said:

Prime example why Thailand is doomed.

Morons and incompetence at every step at every level.

Tourists will work out Thailand is not what it was 20 years ago and move on to choose a better cheaper more friendly option.

Finally got booking confirmation this morning - 6 days!!