Do I technically need a Visa?

My Thai wife and I are heading to Thailand from the UK at the start of January 2022 for 5 months. I have already bought the flights, insurance and PCR test. My intention was to enter Thailand on a STV but it seems they no longer offer this. I went onto the Thailand Pass website and note that I cannot apply through this route if I intend to stay longer than 30 days which I assume means my only option is to apply from a non-immigrant Type O visa?

Is this my only option?

Thanks in advance

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Why are you wanting the STV? It is not shown on the UK embassy website now since you apply online for it. See: https://thaievisa.go.th/ 

Info for STV is here on another embassy website. https://thaiembdc.org/2020/12/10/stv/

You can apply for a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai that will allow a 90 day entry that can be extended for 60 days to visa your wife that will allow you the 5 month stay you want.

For the non-o visa there is no requirement for 40/400k baht medical insurance, background check and etc. You will only need the 50k baht insurance valid for 90 days.

Thanks for your help. 

I do have a couple of concerns. Firstly When I apply and send details of my return flight that shows I will be in Thailand for 5 months will that not cause issues as the non-O visa is only valid for 3 months? 

The other thing is that they ask for bank statements but all my money in in Stocks/Shares and Crypto, how can I get around this; sell some shares and move the money into bank?

Sorry for all the questions, this is all new to me

7 minutes ago, Patts said:

I do have a couple of concerns. Firstly When I apply and send details of my return flight that shows I will be in Thailand for 5 months will that not cause issues as the non-O visa is only valid for 3 months? 

The other thing is that they ask for bank statements but all my money in in Stocks/Shares and Crypto, how can I get around this; sell some shares and move the money into bank?

There is no requirement for a ticket out of the country when applying for a non-o visa. The visa is valid for 3 months from date of issue and will allow 90 day entry up to the day it expires.

You will need the equivalent of 20k baht to apply for the visa and it can be in a any bank.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no requirement for a ticket out of the country when applying for a non-o visa. The visa is valid for 3 months from date of issue and will allow 90 day entry up to the day it expires.

You will need the equivalent of 20k baht to apply for the visa and it can be in a any bank.

Thank you that's great! 

1 minute ago, Uroller said:

Is visa on arrival still available ( 30 days)?

A visa on arrival only allows a 15 day stay after paying the 2000 baht fee for it.

You can get a 30 day visa exempt entry if the country you are from qualifies for one.

• Like 1

After going on the evisa website and entering my dates which total 149 days it says I need to apply for a 60 day tourist Visa so is this an option as opposed to a Non-immigrant-O visa? I assume I get 60 days, renew for another 60 and then 30? 

More details:

Total stay 5 months for holiday and visit Wifes family, I am under 50yrs if that makes a difference. 

4 hours ago, Patts said:

I assume I get 60 days, renew for another 60 and then 30? 

Your setv gives 60.

It can be extended by 30

You can obtain 60 day extension to visit wife = 5 months.

Personally I would get the non O and the 60 to visit wife. 90+ 60.

Depending on ongoing plan you could do the 12 month extension to the non O (only needs 400k in bank for 2 months). Buy a reentry permit and with correct timing next visit easy.

5 hours ago, Patts said:

After going on the evisa website and entering my dates which total 149 days it says I need to apply for a 60 day tourist Visa so is this an option as opposed to a Non-immigrant-O visa? I assume I get 60 days, renew for another 60 and then 30? 

Not sure what you did to get the message informing you to get a tourist visa.

Getting the non-o visa means you only need to go to immigration once for a extension.

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your setv gives 60.

It can be extended by 30

You can obtain 60 day extension to visit wife = 5 months.

Personally I would get the non O and the 60 to visit wife. 90+ 60.

Depending on ongoing plan you could do the 12 month extension to the non O (only needs 400k in bank for 2 months). Buy a reentry permit and with correct timing next visit easy.

The 400k in bank for 2 months is a probably as I will be applying have vIsa next week and my bank has next to nothing in it at the moment as all my moneys in investments

Edited by Patts

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what you did to get the message informing you to get a tourist visa.

Getting the non-o visa means you only need to go to immigration once for a extension.

I clicked on "Do I need a Tourist Visa?" I than Completed the information and the response I got is attached below.  

Screenshot 2021-11-06 at 08.16.41.png

Screenshot 2021-11-06 at 08.17.05.png

Edited by Patts

6 minutes ago, Patts said:

I clicked on "Do I need a Tourist Visa?" I than Completed the information and the response I got is attached below.  

It stated you would need a tourist visa due you entered more than the 30 days a visa exempt entry would allow.

Try selecting this one image.png.f71d797d146e96f51028ba88dcf1d1e8.png

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It stated you would need a tourist visa due you entered more than the 30 days a visa exempt entry would allow.

Try selecting this one image.png.f71d797d146e96f51028ba88dcf1d1e8.png

Can you confirm the non-o visa type should be:

visiting or staying with applicants family resided in Thailand (more than 60 days)

Sorry for so many questions

On 11/5/2021 at 7:20 AM, ubonjoe said:

Why are you wanting the STV? It is not shown on the UK embassy website now since you apply online for it. See: https://thaievisa.go.th/ 

Info for STV is here on another embassy website. https://thaiembdc.org/2020/12/10/stv/

You can apply for a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai that will allow a 90 day entry that can be extended for 60 days to visa your wife that will allow you the 5 month stay you want.

For the non-o visa there is no requirement for 40/400k baht medical insurance, background check and etc. You will only need the $50,000 insurance valid for 90 days.

Please, what is the 50k baht insurance you refer to?

39 minutes ago, Patts said:

Can you confirm the non-o visa type should be:

visiting or staying with applicants family resided in Thailand (more than 60 days)

Yes

You would get one for visiting your Thai family when get to the point of applying for the visa.

• Thanks 1