Australian statutory declaration witness

I have to submit an Australian statutory declaration and I was just wondering if anybody knows of anybody who Is qualified to witness this document and charges small amounts or does them for free in Pattaya.

The requirements are really somebody of an official capacity like a bank officer doctor pharmacist etc witnessing my signature and providing their details.

I tried to get some people (thais) to do something like this in the past and was met with complete reluctance. Nobody seemed willing to put their name to anything for what I assume was fear of some sort of repercussion.

Thanks in advance

Edited by 1
  • Like 1

^ just to point out that any Thai lawyer can not do it. They must hold a specific Notary Public approval as I said in my post above

Note: Siam Legal only charged me 9000 to prepare my Thai divorce papers (with 2 condo being considered), so I doubt they would charge more than 1500-2000 for one signature on a paper you bring to them?

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

I know we're talking 'Australia' but I don't see the legal side of Oz much different to the UKs. And for the UK they accept the difficulties in providing the correct information, logistically and personally due to living in Thailand. So I just get a local policeman friend to write down job title, rank , police number and then stamp it with his station stamp. Never a problem. Give it a go. Cost 2 beers

I did a similar thing for my 3 children's UK passport. For them I just got a farang friend to sign the applications form and job done.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

6 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I know we're talking 'Australia' but I don't see the legal side of Oz much different to the UKs. And for the UK they accept the difficulties in providing the correct information, logistically and personally due to living in Thailand. So I just get a local policeman friend to write down job title, rank , police number and then stamp it with his station stamp. Never a problem. Give it a go. Cost 2 beers

I did a similar thing for my 3 children's UK passport. For them I just got a farang friend to sign the applications form and job done.

Sorry, but bad advice. The list of professions that can witness an Aussie Stat Dec remains, but they must have a current connection to Australia (eg. Doctor/Dentist still registered to practice in Australia, Aussie policeman on holiday).

As for mates signing, you're basically negating the whole Stat Dec. I'm an Engineer so have witnessed countless Stat Dec's in Aus, but even I'm not allowed now because I'm retired. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 1 said:

I have to submit an Australian statutory declaration and I was just wondering if anybody knows of anybody who Is qualified to witness this document and charges small amounts or does them for free in Pattaya.

I ran into this problem couple of years ago, and it was either the Aus Embassy for about 1,700 baht at the time if I recall correctly or a Notary about the same.

This was for my bank back in Aus who I had been with for 2 decades, new Money Laundering Act, i.e. they had to prove who I was, go figure.

Talking to a mate back in Oz who knew of a JP that I also knew, scanned the doc, emailed it to him, he signed and scanned it and emailed it back to me, then I emailed it to the bank, case closed, yes was lucky to find a JP to do that for me.

So your options are a Notary here or a JP back in Oz, that said, being a former JP, they cannot sign declarations when overseas unless recognised to do so, that said, we all do what we got to do, so If you do find one, make sure the other side doesn't know you found a JP here because the S...could hit the fan.

7 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

If you're in Pattaya - I get mine done by a lawyer/Notary Public on Thepprasit Road, 20 mtrs from Soi 8.  I forget the name but they have great English.  1,000B for a Stat Dec with all the appropriate stamps etc.

1 hour ago, dabhand said:

I have used a lawyer at Thai Euro Law (opposite side entrance to Big C on South Pattaya , near Key Visa office).

He is a registered Notary and have used him for signing off legal docs for India plus the UK state pension Life certificate.

Charged me 500 baht in the recent past (end of 2020) and fast service.

Thanks. I need a Stat Dec witnessed in Pattaya in January so will be sure to look these 2 up (I knew my previous 1200 baht to witness 2 people was right lol).

26 minutes ago, 1 said:

That's perfect exactly what I was after. They actually listed the price from 500B on their services in Google maps.

Thank you

Just make sure he is a registered Notary and not just a lawyer as it won't be of any use for you.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1