Engineers council proposes methods to solve flooding in Bangkok

webfact

1 hour ago, harada said:

Clean the garbage out of the drains and klongs would be a good place to start, but there’s a short supply of slaves in the country right now to do the dirty work.

Little room for income generation for maintenance services, too easy to check prices. Better to wait until the defences fail and have to be rebuilt, much more room for inflation. Seems to be the practice for roads as well.

• Like 2

To the Thai Council of Engineers of Thailand (COET), great ideas gentlemen (I am guessing that most of you are males). but you really need to consult the topographical and geological maps of the Choa Praya Basin, and examine them carefully.  As a former student of Applied Mathematics, with a major in fluid dynamics, it seems to me that your proposals will fail.  The famous Zuider Zee Project in the Netherlands worked because the topography and geology were "right" (but even this project will fail if the polar ice caps melt).   A better sugestion is to follow the Indonesian example, and start looking for a location for a new capital city now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Relocate the capital city to somewhere more manageable and do away with this annual event. ..................

As Myanmar has done, with Gvt buildings anyway. But Bangkok would remain the most major city for a long time after.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Council of Engineers of Thailand (COET) is proposing that relevant bodies quickly make improvements to the flood prevention infrastructure along the Chao Phraya River, and warned that there is a probability of Bangkok becoming submerged in 10 years if the water issue is not properly addressed.

More pumps and sandbags? ????

Funny enough Prime Minister Phibun wanted to move the capital to Phechabun back in 1944. It was rejected by small minded politicians. They don't Change! I was probably an idea ahead of its time. But as soon as the major roads were built it should have been revisted.

https://www.pressreader.com/cambodia/the-phnom-penh-post/20150227/281771332644777

"The engineers said the floodwall constructed 10 years ago was damaged, with gaps and holes present. Water had gushed in from these openings below the top of the floodwall and resulted in the recent flooding in the area."

So this means that these guys with all these ideas never thought to do a yearly inspection during the nonflooding period to see if there were any breaches in the wall and fix them before the next rainy season?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, poskat said:

"The engineers said the floodwall constructed 10 years ago was damaged, with gaps and holes present. Water had gushed in from these openings below the top of the floodwall and resulted in the recent flooding in the area."

So this means that these guys with all these ideas never thought to do a yearly inspection during the nonflooding period to see if there were any breaches in the wall and fix them before the next rainy season?

I would guess that's very difficult to see where there are weaknesses in a floodwall when there is no water to give inspectors a clue. The tiniest fissure can quickly erode into a major breach once water begins to flow through it.

That's a lesson learned, of course from the little Dutch boy who stuck his finger in the hole in the dam.

If I remember, this "council" planned flood work some 15-20 years ago...they actually designed the water to flow uphill.....very clever stuff..huge tunnels...massive gates and pumps...it didn't work!...It still doesn't work and BKK still floods!

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I would guess that's very difficult to see where there are weaknesses in a floodwall when there is no water to give inspectors a clue. The tiniest fissure can quickly erode into a major breach once water begins to flow through it.

That's a lesson learned, of course from the little Dutch boy who stuck his finger in the hole in the dam.

they said "the floodwall constructed 10 years ago was damaged, with gaps and holes present"

those sound pretty visible to me

5 minutes ago, poskat said:
5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

6 minutes ago, poskat said:

they said "the floodwall constructed 10 years ago was damaged, with gaps and holes present"

those sound pretty visible to me

Like I said, it only needs a tiny fissure for the water to start flowing. Once flowing, water is very erosive and will turn that small opening into a gaping hole that can be seen.

Seeing gaps and holes after a breach is no evidence that they were visible before.

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Like I said, it only needs a tiny fissure for the water to start flowing. Once flowing, water is very erosive and will turn that small opening into a gaping hole that can be seen.

Seeing gaps and holes after a breach is no evidence that they were visible before.

helps if they dont use concrete with so  much water in its  got  no strength