Can Amoxicillin dosage and time be reduced or changed?

ilikethai

11 minutes ago, tonray said:

You should only take as per doctor's instructions , which are bassed upon clinical results directly from Pharmaceautical company trials for effectiveness.

That, my friend, will depend on which doctor we are dealing with. When it comes to medium cities as well as rural areas outside Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai they have a tendency to look like they are more guessing than knowing.

If got a prescription from a doctor that looks like guessing, I would get a second opinion at a well known place with great reputation, because the dosage is rather high.

5 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

That, my friend, will depend on which doctor we are dealing with. When it comes to medium cities as well as rural areas outside Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai they have a tendency to look like they are more guessing than knowing.

If got a prescription from a doctor that looks like guessing, I would get a second opinion at a well known place with great reputation, because the dosage is rather high.

You could access internet articles concerning dosing for pertinent conditions. Don't guess...the risk is that by changing dose you create resistant bacteria that can cause great harm and necessitate a much stronger anti-biotic to control.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tonray said:

You could access internet articles concerning dosing for pertinent conditions. Don't guess...the risk is that by changing dose you create resistant bacteria that can cause great harm and necessitate a much stronger anti-biotic to control.

Where did I say that he should change the dose without a second opinion from a doctor with high reputation? You have to practice on your reading skills.

43 minutes ago, ilikethai said:

Let's say I'm taking amoxicillin 1000mg every 12hrs. Can I reduced down to just 500mg every 12hrs?

6 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Where did I say that he should change the dose without a second opinion from a doctor with high reputation? You have to practice on your reading skills.

That's the very high end of a dosage, usually for treating pneumonia or bronchitis.  If so then I wouldn't adjust it.  Most other ailments and 500 is usual doses and spread out.  Unless you are extremely overweight.  Normal dosages are for 165 lbs or 75 kg folks.

What ever the doc said, as he she is the 'expert'.

Unless you already have kidney problems then;  "Taking too much amoxicillin can result in unpleasant side effects such as upset stomach and diarrhea, but usually does not cause serious problems"

if OP has been prescribed Amoxi in high dosage, there probably is a reason for it. In this case, reducing dosage is wrong, it will reduce the effectiveness of the treatment a lot and the result will possibly be a longer lasting infection with Amoxi-resistant bacteria.

high dosage Amoxi treatments are usually quite short, just about 4-5 days.

• Thanks 1

Make sure you take some Probiotic when you have finished with the antibiotic which would have wiped out everything--Good & Bad

Probiotics contain living organisms -- mainly bacteria and one type of yeast. These resemble good bacteria in the gut that help with digestion. The supplements are used to treat certain GI problems and for general digestive health. Some types of probiotics may provide relief from diarrhea and may also relieve symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Consider adding them to malted milk or yogurt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Would point out moxy 500mg x2 a day is normal dosage.

It depends entirely on what it is being taken for, which the OP does not state.

OP: I recommend against altering the dosage unless advised by a physician. Regarding the timing, yes you can change it but do so gradually such that the doses are never more than 12 1/2 hours apart. E.g:

5:30 PM and next dose at 6 AM then

6:30 PM and next dose at 7AM

7:30 PM and next dose at 8 AM

within 3 days you are on the schedule you want.

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

That's the very high end of a dosage, usually for treating pneumonia or bronchitis.  If so then I wouldn't adjust it.  Most other ailments and 500 is usual doses and spread out.  Unless you are extremely overweight.  Normal dosages are for 165 lbs or 75 kg folks.

I take Moxy 500mg x2 a day for infected mosquito bites/cuts, never seen a lower dose recommended by anyone for any purpose. Next step up would be MoxyClav 1000mg x2 a day. Then if that didn't work I'm onto Cipro 500mg x2 a day.

(I prefer not to take Cipro as it hurts my Achilles tendons a little, and I don't want them torn)

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

(I prefer not to take Cipro as it hurts my Achilles tendons a little, and I don't want them torn)

I just got over tearing one....... nearly 5 months before I could walk at the speed and distance as before.........????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It depends entirely on what it is being taken for, which the OP does not state.

OP: I recommend against altering the dosage unless advised by a physician. Regarding the timing, yes you can change it but do so gradually such that the doses are never more than 12 1/2 hours apart. E.g:

5:30 PM and next dose at 6 AM then

6:30 PM and next dose at 7AM

7:30 PM and next dose at 8 AM

within 3 days you are on the schedule you want.

Ok I'll just embarrass myself.  I bought very cheap mens briefs undies and went trekking.  those things just rubbed the life out of foreskin.  It has been almost 3 wks, no healing, the closest I got was last wk but again it seemed to never went ago.  its dried and somewhat chapped.  I tried cream, lotion, and Vietnams no help.  So I was told 1000mg Amoxicillin twice per day total 2,000mg per day.  It's been 5 days I'm very tired, and last 4 days I had this this cough with phlegm sometimes it comes out a little bloody.  Thankyou for everything and please save my pecker.

Who prescribed it or told you to take it?

Foreskin infections are often fungal and if it fungal, antibiotics will not help (may even worsen it).

And even when they are bacterial, it is often an anaerobic bacteria which will not respond to amoxicillin.

You should see a good dermatologist...as you have either seen none, or seen a very poor one.

Where in Thailand are you?

10 minutes ago, ilikethai said:

Ok I'll just embarrass myself.  I bought very cheap mens briefs undies and went trekking.  those things just rubbed the life out of foreskin.  It has been almost 3 wks, no healing, the closest I got was last wk but again it seemed to never went ago.  its dried and somewhat chapped.  I tried cream, lotion, and Vietnams no help.  So I was told 1000mg Amoxicillin twice per day total 2,000mg per day.  It's been 5 days I'm very tired, and last 4 days I had this this cough with phlegm sometimes it comes out a little bloody.  Thankyou for everything and please save my pecker.

Sorry, but this is all quite meaningless without pictures.

You were 'told' about the Amoxicillin mega-blast suggests that you haven't shown your pecker to a doctor or dermatologist yet?

Edited by NanLaew
  • Haha 2

Just now, NanLaew said:

Sorry, but this is all quite meaningless without pictures.

You were 'told' about the Amoxicillin mega-blast suggests that you haven't shown your pecker to a doctor or epidemiologist yet?

Pictures would not help. (And I doubt he wants to post them!).

Epidemiologists do not treat illness.

But yes I agree it sounds like he did not see a doctor as it is hard to imagine one prescribing amoxicillin for what isl ikley either a fungal or anaerobic bacterial infection.