Thailand to target ‘quality’ and first time visitors

webfact

A good bit of usual twisted Thai logic. Maybe you need to just be a special kind of stupid to work at TAT. Wonder what they’ll do when the mighty Thai Airways completely fails. Why would anybody even bother with these fools. Lot better and cheaper places to go 

Ask the Governor of TAT to get the place cleaned up !

Very rarely have I seen so much rubbish thrown along the roads/ditches.

Everyone has money to buy junk food but it’s all wrapped in plastic (brightly colored and lasts forever !!!)

Poor countries bio de-gradable rubbish !!! 

• Like 1

Maybe it would be best to find out Thailands entry requirements and other countries exit requirements and how they affect tourists before you start a campaign, but hey, this is Thailand, no brains just wild ideas popping up and implemented, at least for a week or so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smedly said:

I wish they would stop embarrassing themselves with this nonsense 

The one coke and 5 straws brigade from India are not going to save Thailand 

There is no doubt there are some nice foreign built hotels here but step outside into the filth and garbage and it's a whole different picture from the marble floors of the hotel

I have fond memories of the pristine holiday destination in Spain Portugal Greece Italy and generally around the med - you could eat off the footpaths and general infrastructure it is so clean and engineered - absolutely spotless and not a tile out of place 

Thailand has had huge tourism income for decades and what did they do with it ?  - stuff it in their greedy corrupt pockets instead of spending it on infrastructure - they only have themselves to blame for the mess

"Tourism" is a massive subject and incredibly subjective.  I can certainly nod along to many of the comments here.  I first passed through Thailand when I was a student on my gap year, although I can't remember it being called that at the time.  In those days my travelling companions (who tended to change from country to country) and I certainly fell into the one coke and five straws category. But that was part of what made Thailand an attractive destination.  Easy to get drugs, cheap booze and food and (at that time) a truly exotic location.  It soon became an absolute must as part of the whole gap year scene.

It was many years later that I returned to Thailand and by then I was wearing a very different hat.  It was a business trip with five star hotels with marble floors and courtesy hotel cars.  It couldn't have been more different from my earlier adventure there.  My next trip was a holiday with my then wife and again a different experience.  Beaches played a part, a couple of "cultural" trips and a lot of pampering by attentive resort staff.

Eventually when my business meant spending many months of the year in South East Asia, I moved there permanently.  Initially in Hong Kong and then Thailand which was more affordable and very user friendly.  At that point I became an expat and that gives a very different view of Thailand.  You become very defensive about life there (or at least your justification for living there) whilst also moaning and complaining about all the irritating things that make up life in the "Land of Smiles".

I also enjoyed many holidays in Europe although I would find it hard to compare that to Thailand.  Living in the UK made holidays in Spain, Italy and Greece an easy call.  Short, cheap flights, good beaches, guaranteed sunshine and inexpensive hotels.  Plus the advantage of just about everyone speaking English.  Admittedly those things can also be found in Thailand (apart from the short flights) but somehow, the 11 hour flight and the fact it offers a very different culture , makes Thailand seem more like an adventure. At least for the first couple of trips. 

And I think that is really relevant here.  After those first couple of trips, people will start to wonder if it is worth the more expensive, long flights and associated jet lag.  If you are going to put up with that, do you want to just re-visit  what you have already experienced?  It's a big world and pretty much all of it is accessible these days.  Thailand isn't really exotic anymore and let's face it, there is a Thai restaurant on almost every street in Europe these days so you don't need to go there for the food!

So given that Thailand has been the top Asian holiday destination in the west for many decades, it is understandable that the Thai Tourist Board will have to look to new markets and with India and China being the new rising economies, that is a no brainer!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

Or discrimination even!

Or Even Discrimination!!

4 hours ago, djayz said:

Here we go again... How many times have we had this topic? 

First timers = Mugs and the Rich Indian story has been regurgitate before Covid hit the beach … Kids ain’t stupid either .. Cheaper for them to tour Spain or Morocco … TAT do give me the giggles though 

4 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

No they want the first timers as they will be easier to rip off than people who have been before and know all of the scams .....................LOL

I was about to say fresh meat doesn't know too much yet but I guess that is redundant.

First time Tourist targeted all right: They have kept their word prior to publicise it . Kudos 

That being said, the seasoned "tourists" would unfortunately not be able to take advantage of this great offer... Mind you they would not come, considering

And I am bloody worried as I have to get back any time soon 

Thailand is hoping to tap into the 600 million strong younger generation, which also includes families and Indians wanting to get married overseas”.

For a shocking moment I thought they were trying to attract Indian husbands, but then I realised they meant Indians marrying other Indians before going home to India.