Tourist faces huge bill, separation from family after testing positive on arrival in Thailand

webfact

19 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

So, the Thai people who have been close to that infected farang also have to quarantine in an expensive hotel? I don't think so. This is about money. Several Thai people in my neighborhood in Bangkok have tested positive during the pandemic and all of them have simply been told to go home and self-isolated. All of them. (And, not all were asymptomatic.) None of their family members were carted off to quarantine. Exactly none.

That is right they tell the Thai's to go home and self quarantine. You seem to forget that this man and his family are not Thai's and they are not residents of Thailand so yes just tell them to go home and self quarantine when they don't have a home in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

When a hospital stay is not medically required and yet you have to go and sit there for 10 days for no real reason (you could do it in a hotel room) then generally they will not pay for it.  

So many people are saying this, I can't speak for other people's insurance policies but provided I'm instructed to quarantine by the authorities, my insurance (UK company) covers that.

I'm sure I'm not alone and I believe this requirement is covered by the specific policies provided by Thai insurers.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Boyn said:

To qualify for entry into Thailand you have to have covid insurance so why would they not pay out?

Just like the o/p said:

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Kirovs estimates he may have to pay 350,000 Baht towards hospital and quarantine fees if his insurance provider won’t cover it.

“I knew that I was taking a gamble when I chose to buy plane tickets as soon as the Thailand reopening was announced,” Kirovs told Richard.

“We lost that bet.”

Edited by Digitalbanana

5 hours ago, jaiyen said:

So out of the 7000 Thai people who are testing positive every day, where are they going and how much are they paying ?  

They are going home, at zero cost and God bless and protect them all. Who was the Joe Ferrari doppelgänger that calculated the 350,000 bill?  Heaven help the Thai Tourisim Industry after this gets worldwide exposure! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Morty T said:

Not following the logic here. If someone tests positive after landing, it would follow suit that everyone else on the plane with this person should also be quarantined. They were also exposed. 

No one knows and it has not been reported if the other passengers have been notified to get a covid check. But knowing what it is like on here there will be all the warriors screaming that the other passengers have not been notified when they do not know same as the taxi driver.

7 hours ago, Chris.B said:

350,000 baht hospital bill, nearly £8,000 for 10 day stay! Must be a good room at 35,000 baht a night!

They charge you for the PPE worn by the nurses and staff that check on you every day, and then the room needs to be sanitized as well.  Who do you think pays those costs.  The average runs between 250k and 350K Thb for just being asymptomatic.  If you have symptoms and need true medical attention the cost rises tremendously.  Everyone who test positive is put in isolation here in one way or another.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Sad 3

6 hours ago, tezzaaa said:

Interesting post (+ good to know), does anyone know/recommend any Thai insurance that would  cover costs if found positive?

Mine does, even if asymptomatic forced hospitalization. I bought it for the Test & Go deal.  (approved and I received my pass)

It says in the Remarks section:

1. This plan is covered for any medical expenses for COVID-19.
2. The expenses of Quarantined with no symptoms or treatment is not covered under the policy unless the insured is tested positive to COVID-19 and that government regulation requires hospitalization for monitoring.

Company is Tune Protect. I paid 3,100 baht for 30 days. It's cheaper if you're younger (I'm 64).

I'd never heard of them, but it took only a few minutes and I received the necessary documents by email.

https://www.tuneprotect.co.th/th

(change the /th to /en for English)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Everyone who test positive is put in isolation here in one way or another.

Not true in our part of Bangkok. Some Thai people in the neighborhood have tested positive during the pandemic and some were not fully asymptomatic. All were given some meds and simply asked to self-quarantine. Some of their contacts were asked to test and those who were positive were asked to self-quarantine. None were sent to formal quarantine. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Hospitals are for sick people, if you’re not sick and forced into hospital it’s nothing more than a scam and open to serious abuse. Self isolation is a different story and there should be a way to enforce and monitor it. The successful opening of the country could screech to a halt when this gets around.

So if you show a positive test result to the current worlds most contagious virus you are not sick so you do not need to be hospitalised? So as far a concerned you must wait until a person is dying before they are taken to hospital for treatment. The people that I know who have had a positive result to this virus has been taken to hospital where they received treatment to try a minimise the affect and to try and stop it from progressing further. Which is something that they do not get when in Quarantine.

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Not true in our part of Bangkok. Some Thai people in the neighborhood have tested positive during the pandemic and some were not fully asymptomatic. All were given some meds and simply asked to self-quarantine. Some of their contacts were asked to test and those who were positive were asked to self-quarantine. None were sent to formal quarantine. 

I didn't say for locals. That was changed many months ago to allow self isolation. The OP is on travelers. Locals can isolate at home tourists can not isolate in their hotels. They are made to move to an AQ hotel where they can be watched and food delivered. The people that check o  them do wear PPEs and the rooms are also sanitized.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JustAnotherHun said:

It seems you have no idea what you're talking about.

Worlds most contagious virus? BS!

Anayone who's infected is taken to a hospital? LoL! As long as you're tested positive but asymptomatic, you do not need any treatment and surly not in a hospital. Otherwise there would be MILLIONs of people in each country staying in a hospital. Positive but asymptomatic means quarantaine at home, nthing else.

You need to go back to school and learn to read. I said the CURRENT which is something that it appears that you cannot see and understand

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

That is right they tell the Thai's to go home and self quarantine. You seem to forget that this man and his family are not Thai's and they are not residents of Thailand so yes just tell them to go home and self quarantine when they don't have a home in Thailand.

I have an apartment in Bangkok where I could go home and self-quarantine. Wonder what would happen with me if I am in this situation?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

You need to go back to school and learn to read. I said the CURRENT which is something that it appears that you cannot see and understand

I know the word current, but you don't know what contagious means.

What you wrote about asymptomatic people taken to hospitsals is just laughable.

Sue your teachers.

• Haha 2