Help me buy a Laptop computer

sirineou

No this is not a go fund me thing. But if you want to contribute I will not say no.

My laptop finally gave up the ghost.It seems being thrown against the wall will do that. Don't ask.

Anyway I had this one for a long time (acer win 10 I3 I think ,don't even remembet) but it worked fine for what I did,. Mainly surf the intetnet, write a letter ,store some pictures and documents. 

anyway do to the unfortunate demise of said Acer I need to get another one.I am writing this on a fire tablet ,and it is about to meet the wall also LOL

And having been away from the computer market so long, I don't know what to get.

I don't need anything fancy just something to surf the internet,and do the things I mentioned above. I am in KhonKaen.

Do any of you who know more about this than I do see anything in Lazada I should order ,or would I be better of buying something localy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chad3000 said:

I only buy Asus computers. Dell also make good computers. If you just need something to putter around on any name brand will do. Do try and get an SSD drive and 8gb RAM minimum. Windows 11 ready - no sense in buying obsolete kit.

I'd recommend you browse online but buy local. Jib probably has best selection, lowest prices. Go there, unseal the box, power it up. You don't want someone's return.

I had good service out of this Acer but when I look I see all these processors I don't recognize any suggestions on what to look for 

By the way. Once you have the laptop up and running. Breathe life into that amazon fire if you care to take a small risk.

On XDA forum download Fire Toolbox. Very straightforward but whenever making major tweaks always risk bricking the device.

I've done my fire 8 twice now. First, reset. Basically becomes normal tablet sans Amazon bloat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

I only buy Asus computers. Dell also make good computers. If you just need something to putter around on any name brand will do. Do try and get an SSD drive and 8gb RAM minimum. Windows 11 ready - no sense in buying obsolete kit.

I'd recommend you browse online but buy local and in person. Jib probably has best selection, lowest prices. Go there, unseal the box, power it up. You don't want someone's return.

yeah one of my mate's who's a guru program writer a nerd told me to buy Asus laptop 10 years + on still great.

They have a back up site too although I've never needed it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

And how about correcting the spelling error in the subject line Charlie so we know what the O/P really means? ????

LOL I just saw the title. I am writing this on a Fire tablet  that I only use for my kindle books. I got to keep an eye on that auto correct ???????? please fix it

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, sirineou said:

LOL I just saw the title. I am writing this on a Fire tablet  that I only use for my kindle books. I got to keep an eye on that auto correct ???????? please fix it

First thing I looked at. How close is T to Y. Ah yes, very close. ????

Edited by Moonlover

If you use it exclusively indoors, then screen brightness might not be an issue. Using it in a bright rooms and outdoors may call for a brighter screen.

Just an example of how your usage should drive for what you are looking.

Don't buy a laptop that doesn't have a Solid State Drive within, unless you know how to fit one yourself.

Since you mentioned i3; then we'll use that as a price point.

Ryzen 3 5300U/5400U is a good place to start looking.

• Like 1

I have only had to deal with the niece's 6 year-old Acer once and I can see why the wall-option was taken by the OP. However, if he wants more-of-the-same performance-wise (before the wall intervened, maybe tell us the dead one's model number so we have a starting point.

The OP hasn't mentioned a budget or what screen size he is used to. Both of these would make suggestions easier.

FWIW the online offerings of ASUS laptops from Invadeit shows most are out of stock.

Acer Thailand's online resource seems much better so the OP can browse the following and get back with questions.

https://acerthailand.com/all-model/#filter=.g-notebook.g-aspire

There are bargains to be had on lazada and although I am also an ASUS aficionado, I did see some refurbished i3 and i5 Fujitsu machines last month. I was eying one up as a backup/spare for my 10 year-old ASUS for when it expires.

15 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I have only had to deal with the niece's 6 year-old Acer once and I can see why the wall-option was taken by the OP. However, if he wants more-of-the-same performance-wise (before the wall intervened, maybe tell us the dead one's model number so we have a starting point.

The OP hasn't mentioned a budget or what screen size he is used to. Both of these would make suggestions easier.

FWIW the online offerings of ASUS laptops from Invadeit shows most are out of stock.

Acer Thailand's online resource seems much better so the OP can browse the following and get back with questions.

https://acerthailand.com/all-model/#filter=.g-notebook.g-aspire

There are bargains to be had on lazada and although I am also an ASUS aficionado, I did see some refurbished i3 and i5 Fujitsu machines last month. I was eying one up as a backup/spare for my 10 year-old ASUS for when it expires.

Seems to be much better...but isn't. Try clicking on any of the NEW ones. Even the older ones just link to Advice & Banana and may be out of stock anyway.

So new ones not available and old ones out of stock.

4 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Seems to be much better...but isn't. Try clicking on any of the NEW ones. Even the older ones just link to Advice & Banana and may be out of stock anyway.

So new ones not available and old ones out of stock.

Victims of the global chip shortages?

I have multiple laptops mostly Acer 17 inch, some of them bought used. Depending on your age and travel habits you might consider Acer Swift 3 14 inch weight only 2.6 pounds but cost 700$. There are no more cheep laptops but basic laptop you can find for 300$. I use laptop to watch movies and travel with 4K benq projector so you can use 14 inch laptop with HDMI.

But with limited budget I recommend Acer 17 inch.

53 minutes ago, olfu said:

I have multiple laptops mostly Acer 17 inch, some of them bought used. Depending on your age and travel habits you might consider Acer Swift 3 14 inch weight only 2.6 pounds but cost 700$. There are no more cheep laptops but basic laptop you can find for 300$. I use laptop to watch movies and travel with 4K benq projector so you can use 14 inch laptop with HDMI.

But with limited budget I recommend Acer 17 inch.

This is Thailand; they use Baht.

You post is confusing and contradictory.

Ok just a few scratches ,do you all think I could buff it out?

received_1461624314210582.jpeg.e271928d79a218ff2e21fef95c149743.jpeg

This is the label to show what I had

received_1323938871389529.jpeg.82235b2c1a7b6da6de3e045bb7a82ff7.jpeg

I can't see how many gigabytes of RAM I had,I think 4 .I was told that I should get at least 8 megabytes so that I am ready for win11 .is RAM in an Acer upgradable ? Because all I see is 4 megabits RAM machines.Is the RAM in the a card upgradable? 

I saw this Acer on lazada, what do you all think ,sorry for the link I am working on an Android tablet and I don't know how to take a screen shot

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/acer-notebook-laptop-aspire-a314-22-r3z9-14-fhd-ryzen-5-3500u-8gb-512gb-win10-2y-i1474304251-s3871656811.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.21.4acf7bd2t937Hu&search=

• Haha 1

I bought my last 2 from JIB online.  Also an ASUS fan.  Have 4 and 2 Acers, all still working, and 2 at the 10+ yrs old mark.

You want decent battery, and SSD drive.  Non integrated vid card.  Rest is just spec you may or may not need; more speed, storage, sound.

This does have integrated vid card, but doesn't sound like you'll be editing photos / vids.   I wouldn't go any lower specs than this:

https://www.jib.co.th/web/product/readProduct/49393/121/NOTEBOOK--โน้ตบุ๊ค--ASUS-X515EA-EJ505TS--TRANSPARENT-SILVER-

Edited by KhunLA

or Ok just a few scratches ,do you all think I could buff it out?

I can't see how many gigabytes of RAM I had,I think 4 .I was told that I should get at least 8 megabytes so that I am ready for win11 .is RAM in an Acer upgradable ? Because all I see is 4 megabits RAM machines.Is the RAM in the a card upgradable? 

I saw this Acer on lazada, what do you all think ,sorry for the link I am working on an Android tablet and I don't know how to take a screen shot

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/acer-notebook-laptop-aspire-a314-22-r3z9-14-fhd-ryzen-5-3500u-8gb-512gb-win10-2y-i1474304251-s3871656811.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.21.4acf7bd2t937Hu&search=

I want to stay in the 15,000 range,as I said all I do is surf the web,and some basic computing,no movies,no gaming .below is an I5 with 8RAM what do you all think is it better than the previous link I posted in that double post.

?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/acer-intel-core-i5-5257-24ghz-ram8gb-ssd-128gb-256gb-156-inch-full-hd-ips-win10-1-i2299014907-s7748613168.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.4acf7bd20XTw1d&search=1&freeshipping=1

Edited by sirineou

20 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I want to stay in the 15,000 range,as I said all I do is surf the web,and some basic computing,no movies,no gaming .below is an I5 with 8RAM what do you all think is it better than the previous link I posted in that double post.

?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/acer-intel-core-i5-5257-24ghz-ram8gb-ssd-128gb-256gb-156-inch-full-hd-ips-win10-1-i2299014907-s7748613168.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.4acf7bd20XTw1d&search=1&freeshipping=1

I would look for something with a lil bit bigger SSD as that really speeds the computer up this one only has 1288GB (so low). I mean SSD is important (if you did not know its a replacement of the harddisk but much faster)

Other then that not too bad.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

I am an ASUS fan myself, they make their own motherboards and I had my last one for 8 years + without any issues.   X455L (intel I5) was the last one I bought back in 2013 with Win 8.1, all I did was to replace the drive with a fast SSD.  It's in daily use and still working great .

If you can afford to go up to 30k baht, there are some great models around (Intel I5) 

Asus-Notebook-ZenBook-UX435EAL-KC054TS-G

Edited by balo
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

I would look for something with a lil bit bigger SSD as that really speeds the computer up this one only has 8GB (so low). I mean SSD is important (if you did not know its a replacement of the harddisk but much faster)

you mean 128 GB is too small 8 GB is the RAM. .I also thought that 128 GB would be on the small side .

How about this one ? I am not familiar with the Ryzen5 processor ,any thoughts?  Also I can't translate the page so I don't know is is has a backlite keyboard .man anybody tell?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/acer-notebook-laptop-aspire-a314-22-r3z9-14-fhd-ryzen-5-3500u-8gb-512gb-win10-2y-i1474304251-s3871656811.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.21.4acf7bd2t937Hu&search=1

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

you mean 128 GB is too small 8 GB is the RAM. .I also thought that 128 GB would be on the small side .

How about this one ? I am not familiar with the Ryzen5 processor ,any thoughts?  Also I can't translate the page so I don't know is is has a backlite keyboard .man anybody tell?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/acer-notebook-laptop-aspire-a314-22-r3z9-14-fhd-ryzen-5-3500u-8gb-512gb-win10-2y-i1474304251-s3871656811.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.21.4acf7bd2t937Hu&search=1

I misread but 128 is small, this one is bigger so its better. Not sure if its a backlit keyboard but he ssd is m2 version that is fast and larger. Ryzen is good just like intel usually more value for money.

Is the screen big enough for you ? 

50 minutes ago, robblok said:

I misread but 128 is small, this one is bigger so its better. Not sure if its a backlit keyboard but he ssd is m2 version that is fast and larger. Ryzen is good just like intel usually more value for money.

Is the screen big enough for you ? 

The screen is 14 inch.My previous laptop was 15 ,don't think 1 inch makes much of a difference. As I said I only use it to surf the internet or light computing. Never play games or watch movies. If I ever watched a movie I would mirror the computer screen on my smart TV anyway.

sorry about that window below ,I am doing this on a Android tablet that I only use to read kindle books and I can't figure out how to delete I

tomorrow I will go to the mall and see if they have anything compatible to buy there.

50 minutes ago, robblok said:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

or Ok just a few scratches ,do you all think I could buff it out?

The first thing of note is that the screen will be considerably smaller than to what you are used. 15.6" down to 14"

Second is that the old laptop could have done with a cheap SSD; which would have improved the performance considerably. A bit too late for that now ????

Just now, Bruno123 said:

The first thing of note is that the screen will be considerably smaller than to what you are used. 15.6" down to 14"

Second is that the old laptop could have done with a cheap SSD; which would have improved the performance considerably. A bit too late for that now ????

I see a lot of 15 inch Acer aspire  but they all have 4 GB  RAM . Is the RAM in the aspires upgradable?

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I see a lot of 15 inch Acer aspire  but they all have 4 GB  RAM . Is the RAM in the aspires upgradable?

Sometimes, but it's getting less common with the thinner laptops.  4GB is not enough if you want to run Win10.  It will run, but it will be slow.

Edited by shdmn