Thailand ramps up emissions reduction goal

webfact

6b478f39b5a91b36f6a09d6e9386c505.jpg

Kingdom did not sign Global Methane Pledge

By Amanda Battersby in Glasgow 

Thailand has increased its climate change commitments and is now aiming to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by 40% in 2030, with international support, members of its delegation told Upstream at COP26; although national upstream company PTTEP will still produce hydrocarbons domestically and at its international assets.

The country's prior stated target under its Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) was to reduce GHG emissions by between 20% and 25% by the end of this decade.

As part of this initiative, Thailand aims to improve its energy efficiency and promote the transformation of its energy system through decarbonisation, digitalisation, electrification, decentralisation and deregulation.

Full story: https://www.upstreamonline.com/politics/thailand-ramps-up-emissions-reduction-goal/2-1-1096581

screenshot_15728.jpg

-- © Copyright upstream 2021-11-11

How about holding drivers accountable, who are driving vehicles with enormous clouds of black smoke blowing out the back of their vehicle? Same goes with the Raja ferries. It's so bad, I can't even ride on them.

Let's also not forget the trash problem, and water pollution. 

Start with these. Don't count on electric cars being the answer ... they are not practical at this point, and may never be.

• Thanks 2

Followed a cop on a bike as he was going the legal limit.  Both of us were overtaken by black-smoke-belching pickup at over 100kph.  Not a flicker of interest shown tho' he did start to breathe through the filter of his uniform sleeve by driving one handed.

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

You do know that certain electric cars sell a lot worldwide.

He does have a point though, Thailand is trying to run before they can walk, they had all those ( I think ) NGV buses which were unloaded at Lam Chabang port and I don't think made it the streets of Bangkok, so they are still using the 40 year old filthy polluting diesel buses that chuck out more pollutants than most things on the road, I also don't understand why they haven't adopted the congestion zone like in London and if you drive a polluting vehicle pay extra again.

They also need a massive public awareness campaign about plastic & pollution in generall, everywhere you go in this country looks like a massive rubbish dump & nothing ever gets done about it, yes we know it happens in our home countries but there are laws, and people whose roll in life is to pursue these criminals, and it works. Here they put up a no dumping sign warning of 2000 baht fines and the following day you drive past and someone has fly tipped under the sign ????  

As for water quality, I won't even go there ????

So, not arguing with you, but there are so many other things to fix along the way first.

So will this mean we will be smoke free in the North next year......????

No I think not, they just don't care , It needs some real Policing to

put a stop to it, I am not going to hold my breath , pardon the pun

regards worgeordie

On 11/11/2021 at 10:31 AM, Danderman123 said:

You do know that certain electric cars sell a lot worldwide.

I realize that. But it is certainly not a practical solution for everyone, every business, transport companies, etc .... At least not for many years, maybe decades. My point was, that Asian countries can do a lot to improve the situation NOW, but don't.