Thailand agrees to buy electricity from Laos, ignoring NGOs’ concerns

webfact

ca4c4271-d7e1-46d9-b171-90838c2529d4.jpg

Boats pass the Pak Beng pier on the Mekong River in northwestern Laos' Oudomxay province, site of a proposed hydroelectric dam, in a file photo. AFP

Environmental groups say they fear harm to the Mekong's ecosystem and to the livelihoods of local people.

Thai power authorities have agreed after a long delay to buy electricity from three hydropower projects in Laos, pushing aside objections from Thai NGOs who say the dams’ operations will harm the ecosystem along the Mekong River.

The Nov. 5 decision by the Thai National Energy Policy Committee opens the way for the country to buy power from the Nam Gneum 3 Dam and from the China-backed Pak Beng Dam and Pak Lay Dam, both located 60-80 km (35-50 miles) from the Thai border.

Speaking to RFA on Tuesday, an official of the Lao Ministry of Energy and Mines called the decision “a step forward for Laos,” as the country had been trying for years to persuade Thailand to buy power from dams built by the one-party communist state either on the Mekong or on its tributaries.

Full story: https://www.rfa.org/english/news/laos/agrees-11102021185312.html

rfa_logo_2021_text.jpg

-- © Copyright Radio Free Asia 2021-11-11

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

More dependence on China, selling Thailand down the line ....Sad!!

yes, not buying anything from Laos but surely buying from China as they are the main operators/controllers over there

• Like 2

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

Although I'm leaving Luang Prabang next week for pastures new, I wasn't aware that the town was due to be engulfed by a flooded Mekong river... please explain.

Excellent timing for you then.

I found this in some presentation. Perhaps you would know more about this map from the power company than I do? If not, then it must be wrong, and from an older proposal?

Luang Prabang underwater.jpg

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

Although I'm leaving Luang Prabang next week for pastures new, I wasn't aware that the town was due to be engulfed by a flooded Mekong river... please explain.

Surely they would not be stupid enough to flood LP when it is such a beautiful tourist attraction. I think there is a special exceptionally ancient wat there too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Surely they would not be stupid enough to flood LP when it is such a beautiful tourist attraction. I think there is a special exceptionally ancient wat there too.

“The World Heritage Committee made the decision in July this year that the construction of the Luang Prabang Dam should be suspended until the HIA has been done,” Monthira Unakul said. The committee wants a study on the impact of the dam on the World Heritage Site to be completed and reported to it by Feb. 1, 2022, she said...
... Residents of Luang Prabang City said they are concerned about the project, is only 12 miles (20 km) from the city of 55,000 people. “We’re worried that when the dam releases water, it might flood our homes or part of the city,” said one local. Another resident said, “From what we have seen, the water would flood our vegetable gardens along the Mekong River bank.”
https://www.rfa.org/english/news/laos/dam-projects-09082021152447.html

There have been reports on this for a while, particularly that Thailand doesn't need all the electricity they would be committed to purchasing. Thai construction companies will be heavily involved though.
https://thediplomat.com/2020/12/hydropower-vs-heritage-will-laos-lose-luang-prabang/

https://www.dw.com/en/why-is-laos-building-mekong-dams-it-doesnt-need/a-56231448

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mavideol said:

yes, not buying anything from Laos but surely buying from China as they are the main operators/controllers over there

"had been trying for years to persuade Thailand to buy power from dams built by the one-party communist state "