Which Boozer is the Best in Bangkok?

FruitPudding

Best Boozer in Bangkok  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 11/11/2021 at 2:15 PM, Will B Good said:

Not keen on any of the bigger, 'organized' bars. Prefer the smaller, probably illegal, street bars.

Hooters strikes me as the worst, if that helps. Soulless.

Totally agree.

I miss the Washington Square days.

The problem with the little places is they end up pricing themselves out of business. I had a great night earlier this year at The Old Other Office, but I felt an idiot paying 120 for a small bottle of local swill when I could be getting a pint for around that elsewhere.

Like, can't they just buy a keg and start selling pints for that price? I would never think twice of drinking at a charming little watering hole with character if it was at least a little competitive with the big plastic Paddy, Pom, and Yank bars. But they are so stubborn. Why can't they get with the times?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

Had a problem in country road. Never go back. Staff are inattentive old maids. Inside always smells like a toilet. Bands are horrible.

It was always just about being outside ,+ cheap beer

With that negative of thinking I understand that you had a problem. Hope you don´t have to stay out of more bars in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, steven100 said:

folks on here probably never heard of Texas Lone star or Silver dollar bar,  or Mambo show .... those were the days my friend. 

There are people on TV who know BKK since the 80ies, and I'm one of them. Don't know Mambo Show but recall the others. Would not have expected you having been a patron there, as they hardly match your political views.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rott said:

Madrid, the Old Other Office plus the other older bars in Patpong must be visited while they still exist. That's if they do. They are what Bangkok was about. 

Chequers worth a mention too. 

Sad too not to see Jools (long time I know) that WAS a boozer. 

But for most on the list (excluding those with ladies freely available) it is sad to see them associated with Bangkok. Sterile, emasculated places that should be headed Typical Bars from Anytown, Anyland. 

Not having a go at the OP, it is just part of what has happened to Bangkok. 

Any recommendations?

When I lived in BKK (2009-2015) I liked the Saxophone at Victory Monument, mainly for the music. Most of those listed appear to be around Sukhumvit, an area I tended to avoid as it lacked the unique Bangkok vibe, seemingly just trying to be like every other city in the World. I remember visiting a few pubs nearby when my wife was working on Suk Soi 39, but they tended to be dark, drab dingy places.

Edited by Stupooey
Letter missing

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

With that negative of thinking I understand that you had a problem. Hope you don´t have to stay out of more bars in the future. 

Do you really hope that?

I rarely go to these places and country road geezer factory never. With covid on that should be even less a worry on your mind.

Edited by Chad3000

1 hour ago, 2009 said:

Any recommendations?

The Madrid claims to be the oldest bar in Bangkok and probably is. Lovely bar if it is still going. My other favourite in that area is the Crown Royal in the next Soi, the Crystal Palace there is worth a look too. 

Don't know how they keep going they were doing nowt before COVID. Their heyday is long gone, people now prefer plastic paddy places and bars with 20 TVs. 

Not been in BKK for just over a year so I am out of touch. 

If you get there let us know what's what, I am hoping to do a month over Christmas. Stuck in Pattaya till then. 

4 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Totally agree.

I miss the Washington Square days.

The problem with the little places is they end up pricing themselves out of business. I had a great night earlier this year at The Old Other Office, but I felt an idiot paying 120 for a small bottle of local swill when I could be getting a pint for around that elsewhere.

Like, can't they just buy a keg and start selling pints for that price? I would never think twice of drinking at a charming little watering hole with character if it was at least a little competitive with the big plastic Paddy, Pom, and Yank bars. But they are so stubborn. Why can't they get with the times?

Much in what you say, they don't recognise that the days when a lot of their customers were on big expat salaries are long gone. 

In a sense they are their own worst enemies. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose

lots of good memories but not so much the Expats... I felt sorry for Mekong Kurt and once toward the end of the month when he was running low, I bought him a drink. He interpreted that as an invitation to entertain and he talked non-stop for 45 minutes... he could dance like Travolta etc... a part of me died that day... 

The Texxan free lunch was a great gathering of minds..  Fat George would entertain in his distinctive fashion.  I loved their Philly Cheese Steak! Bobby Tooms Silver Dollar was unique...   Prince Of Wales had great BBQ's out front on special occasions.

Bourbon St was excellent for entertaining friends from out of town..  Yum..

MR DAENG'S BAR on the road to the "27" Hotel was a great meeting place. The urinal at the cnr of the building had great views of the QPP Hotel.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2021 at 2:40 PM, 2009 said:

Since it appears we can choose multiple bars, I chose: .....

Really!! I didn't even try more than one, but if that's the case I'll have to include Madrid with my selection of Buddy's Bar and Grill in the survey. 

• Like 1

Does anyone remember the bar that was on the Skytrain side within MBK?   This was about twenty years ago.   My recollection is that it was on one of the two floors (2nd or 3rd) connecting to the upper levels of the sky train.   Sometimes, it had good live bands and was fairly inexpensive.  Too much smoke though.

• Like 1

Thanks to the OP for the thread, it threw a few names up that I had almost forgotten about. Will be back in BKK soon after an absence and this has given me some places to look up. 

But do any do pints of bitter or IPA with change out of 200 baht.? I think Paddy Fields do (or did) a reasonably priced draught Guinness. 

Obviously I've no idea where is open ad where not, bit of walking to be done and the exercise will do me good. 

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely gutted. 

Got to Bangkok last night, first time here for over a year so thought I'd try the Madrid for a breakfast. All locked up. I asked the traders outside if it was finished, no, one more week they said. The other nearby bars were looking similar. The impression I got online was that they were still trading. 

Firking Covid. 

I'll try tomorrow early evening see if there's any open. 

Madrid still locked up last night and that Soi mainly in darkness. Shenanigans on the corner with Surawong open and seemed to have a few in. 

The next Soi up, the gay bars were mainly open but few punters about. Moving along, the Crown Royal was open and had a handful of customers and slightly more ladies. Cracking little bar but at 120 a small bottle will not get many new customers and the old ones don't seem to be about anymore. 

Paddy Fields shut too. 

Edited by rott

Off topic, I know, but it doesn't warrant its own thread.

I have a question: what is going on with not being able to sit near the street at a bar right now?

On Soi 4 Sukhumvit right now, nobody is allowed to sit near the street in ANY bar.

Has the government made some wierd rule causing this??!

On 11/12/2021 at 6:33 PM, FruitPudding said:

To be honest, I am surprised Hillary is the front runner here. No particular reason (actually, I have never been there). I just wasn't expecting it.

I must visit Hillary for one or two to find out what the fuss is about.

Maybe because Hillary is not one bar. There are many Hillary 1 2 3 4 11 (sorry I am not up to date with them).

Having a 120 baht large Leo in Buddy's, did not know the place was here before reading this thread. Always passed this part of Suk on the BTS before. Ate and drank in the Bus Stop earlier, Bangers is quiet but then I'm an early doors drinker might be a different story later. 

I keep forgetting I don't drink anymore, ah well. 

On 12/17/2021 at 12:04 PM, rott said:

Madrid still locked up last night and that Soi mainly in darkness. Shenanigans on the corner with Surawong open and seemed to have a few in. 

The next Soi up, the gay bars were mainly open but few punters about. Moving along, the Crown Royal was open and had a handful of customers and slightly more ladies. Cracking little bar but at 120 a small bottle will not get many new customers and the old ones don't seem to be about anymore. 

Paddy Fields shut too. 

Madrid closed today as well, maybe gone?

1 hour ago, tjintx said:

Madrid closed today as well, maybe gone?

Yes. Didn't realise I hadn't posted it but I messaged them from their fb page and asked when they were opening. I got a reply saying possibly in the New Year in Surawong, opposite the Marriott. 

Edited by rott
  • Thanks 1