Which Boozer is the Best in Bangkok?

FruitPudding

Best Boozer in Bangkok  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, I know I have obviously missed out a lot, but I tried to pick most of the popular pubs and bars that have been around a while or have a big name and are located in the main expat hangout areas in Bangkok. If you don't see your favorite on this list, please feel free to post it in the comments.

Cheers.

Since it appears we can choose multiple bars, I chose:

1. Chequers - good patrons

2. Fitzgerald - solid choice generally

3. Red Lion - best value, hands down

4. Paddy Field - good weekday deals

5. Madrid - a charm of Patpong

6. Old Other Office - you have to see it to believe it.

Regarding the Soi Sukhumvit 33/1 choices, I used to like the Royal Oak over the Robin Hill until, at the start of COVID in early 2020, a bartender sneezed.   He did turn away from the bar patron (I was the only one sitting at the bar at the time) but redirected the uncovered and very droplet filed spray all over the glassware.   Haven't been back since (probably not fair but...).   I like the Tavern but it wasn't part of the poll.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 2009 said:

Since it appears we can choose multiple bars, I chose:

1. Chequers - good patrons

2. Fitzgerald - solid choice generally

3. Red Lion - best value, hands down

4. Paddy Field - good weekday deals

5. Madrid - a charm of Patpong

6. Old Other Office - you have to see it to believe it.

Madrid, the Old Other Office plus the other older bars in Patpong must be visited while they still exist. That's if they do. They are what Bangkok was about. 

Chequers worth a mention too. 

Sad too not to see Jools (long time I know) that WAS a boozer. 

But for most on the list (excluding those with ladies freely available) it is sad to see them associated with Bangkok. Sterile, emasculated places that should be headed Typical Bars from Anytown, Anyland. 

Not having a go at the OP, it is just part of what has happened to Bangkok. 

Edited by rott
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, timendres said:

10 years ago, the mile-long party of street bars down Sukhumvit from Asok to Nana was a truly unique phenomenon. An experience unmatched by any "establishment". However, the current parasites put an end to that 7 years ago, and it still has not recovered to this day. I wonder if it ever can. Very sad. Those here long before I arrived will also attest to the other character lost, like the bar complex in what is currently Chuwit's park, the bars in "Washington" on Soi 22, and many others. Hooters is a self-parody of what I left behind to live here.

Agree 100%......the atmosphere and excitement that was created was magical......all gone.

7 hours ago, timendres said:

10 years ago, the mile-long party of street bars down Sukhumvit from Asok to Nana was a truly unique phenomenon. An experience unmatched by any "establishment". However, the current parasites put an end to that 7 years ago, and it still has not recovered to this day. I wonder if it ever can. Very sad. Those here long before I arrived will also attest to the other character lost, like the bar complex in what is currently Chuwit's park, the bars in "Washington" on Soi 22, and many others. Hooters is a self-parody of what I left behind to live here.

I've thought for the last 10-15 years that Soi Cowboy & Nana could go the same way as W Square, as lower Sukhumvit is gradually gentrified.

Just now, Andrew65 said:

I've thought for the last 10-15 years that Soi Cowboy & Nana could go the same way as W Square, as lower Sukhumvit is gradually gentrified.

They both look dead on their knees at the moment........not religious, but I do pray for them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rott said:

Madrid, the Old Other Office plus the other older bars in Patpong must be visited while they still exist. That's if they do. They are what Bangkok was about. 

Chequers worth a mention too. 

Sad too not to see Jools (long time I know) that WAS a boozer. 

But for most on the list (excluding those with ladies freely available) it is sad to see them associated with Bangkok. Sterile, emasculated places that should be headed Typical Bars from Anytown, Anyland. 

Not having a go at the OP, it is just part of what has happened to Bangkok. 

You have a good point. We should make a list of the hidden gems.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FruitPudding said:

Poll is coming along nicely.

The Game and Buddy's get zilch? Kinda surprised by the latter.

Hillary doing well. Which Hillary is the best?

Very nice, new one end of soi 11 near Hyde 11.

They opened the week before the last lockdown......!!!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

Had a problem in country road. Never go back. Staff are inattentive old maids. Inside always smells like a toilet. Bands are horrible.

It was always just about being outside ,+ cheap beer

Yeah, it's weird how Soi Cowboy (and Patpong) bars almost always have a distinct smell.

About the attentiveness of maids, there is a particular bar at the front of Nana that has over-attentive maids. They get really irritating. There's one who puts a time limit on my beer consumption. She's like, "10 minute, I come back" and this is after like the 3rd time they have asked me if I want another drink (while I still have a quarter pint left). I dunno if they think they are being helpful or they are trained to be pushy.

1 minute ago, FruitPudding said:

I have never been in to any of the Hillaries. Why are they good? Staff? Prices?

Cheers!

They range from rough and ready to quite cosmopolitan ........at least a couple on soi 4 and two on soi 11.

Prices a little on the high side (for me) and for some reason happy hour seems to have disappeared.

I would try the new one on soi 11 first.......walk down soi 11 from Nana BTS to where there is an odd T junction at the then end.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

folks on here probably never heard of Texas Lone star or Silver dollar bar,  or Mambo show .... those were the days my friend. 

Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose

lots of good memories but not so much the Expats... I felt sorry for Mekong Kurt and once toward the end of the month when he was running low, I bought him a drink. He interpreted that as an invitation to entertain and he talked non-stop for 45 minutes... he could dance like Travolta etc... a part of me died that day... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Yeah, it's weird how Soi Cowboy (and Patpong) bars almost always have a distinct smell.

About the attentiveness of maids, there is a particular bar at the front of Nana that has over-attentive maids. They get really irritating. There's one who puts a time limit on my beer consumption. She's like, "10 minute, I come back" and this is after like the 3rd time they have asked me if I want another drink (while I still have a quarter pint left). I dunno if they think they are being helpful or they are trained to be pushy.

Yeah, Thai men would never accept that.

Patpong. Dear God not been there in twenty years or more. I really should go back for a look. Star of Light 2 good times. Lol.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Soi Cowboy

It's only Baccarat that's got any real lookers although sometimes that's not necessarily what you're after. Went into agogo xyz after a drinking session. All the girls were pretty much fat and unattractive. My 45 yo wife a stunner in comparison. Enjoyed the happy hour beer and tts and exited stage left.