Which Boozer is the Best in Bangkok?

FruitPudding

Best Boozer in Bangkok  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 11/12/2021 at 6:48 PM, FruitPudding said:

had a great night earlier this year at The Old Other Office, but I felt an idiot paying 120 for a small bottle of local swill when I could be getting a pint for around that elsewhere.

Like, can't they just buy a keg and start selling pints for that price? I would never think twice of drinking at a charming little watering hole with character if it was at least a little competitive with the big plastic Paddy, Pom, and Yank bars. But they are so stubborn. Why can't they get with the times?

Had one there the other night, same price same "decor", though I suppose the latter is it's charm. Still, it's good to see them surviving. But it would be difficult to get anyone used to the girlie bars and paddy bars to stay long enough to have a drink. 

I will be around Patpong again over the next few days, curious to see if Shenanigans drink prices are still as their menu on fb. The Guinness looks right at 199 a happy hour pint. Just the one there and back to the "memory lane" bars. ????

Edited by rott

• 2 weeks later...

Crown Royal, Crystal Palace and a few others closed, possibly due to Covid. (according to the old lad drumming up business for the massage place) 

Shenanigans still open for those who are sorry they ever left 'ome. 

Edited by rott

On 1/5/2022 at 10:21 PM, rott said:

Had one there the other night, same price same "decor", though I suppose the latter is it's charm. Still, it's good to see them surviving. But it would be difficult to get anyone used to the girlie bars and paddy bars to stay long enough to have a drink. 

I will be around Patpong again over the next few days, curious to see if Shenanigans drink prices are still as their menu on fb. The Guinness looks right at 199 a happy hour pint. Just the one there and back to the "memory lane" bars. ????

How come Madrid still ain't open? Have they bit the dust?

And I know it ain't a pub, but the French restaurant?

50 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

1) yes posted on 25/12 I messaged their fb page, got a reply saying they may open in the New Year on Surawong opp the Marriott Hotel. 

The lady at the Old Other Office told me the owner of the Madrid (Dang?) passed away about 4 months ago. 

2) no sign of life there. 

All very sad looking. 

Edited by rott
  • Sad 1

On 1/16/2022 at 3:07 PM, rott said:

Crown Royal, Crystal Palace and a few others closed, possibly due to Covid. (according to the old lad drumming up business for the massage place) 

Shenanigans still open for those who are sorry they ever left 'ome. 

I was at the Crown Royal on Christmas Day (sad I am, I know).   Has it closed in the three weeks since?

2 hours ago, tjintx said:

I was at the Crown Royal on Christmas Day (sad I am, I know).   Has it closed in the three weeks since?

Yes I was there Sat 8thJan and it was open, I was told sometime the following week by the boss of Buddy's that it and others were closed. 

I've just been past the once since and no change. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2022 at 8:06 PM, FruitPudding said:

Just heard from them on messenger that Madrid no. 2 is now open. 

The address given is Surawongse Rd, near the Marriott Hotel. 

I am away from BKK for probably a month so can't call in. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 9:23 PM, rott said:

Just heard from them on messenger that Madrid no. 2 is now open. 

The address given is Surawongse Rd, near the Marriott Hotel. 

I am away from BKK for probably a month so can't call in. 

I wonder if there will be two Madrids now, or if they will just move?

• 2 weeks later...

The Madrid is done, guys.

I went to the new location. It resembles nothing of The Madrid. Decor is like a contemporary cafe, or something.

It is WAY out the way; terrible location, stuck under the expressway. No transport nearby; taxi is a must.

The highlight is watching a woman across the road wash her dishes, no joke.

Of course, it still has Patpong prices. They changed everything but the prices, lol. Can't really respect that.

For that location, you might as well drink outside a local Mom & Pop store and pay shop prices with the Thai guys.

That Neil Young song comes to mind. 

Edited by 2009