How Difficult Is It These Days to Renew a Retirement Visa?

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Maybe that is due to immigration officers thinking that people would not understand what a extension is. Many people call every stamp or sticker in their passport a visa,

Well I can tell you my personal experience the last time I mentioned that I was there for a retirement extension. Total deer in the headlights reaction.

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You need to start again.

Options. 

Obtain a non O-A in your country 

Or Non O either in own country or inside Thailand.

With non O you will obtain an extension in Thailand.

Very easy nothing much changed in the last 20 years but get the non-o in Thailand 

7 minutes ago, antony77 said:

Very easy nothing much changed in the last 20 years but get the non-o in Thailand 

Some countries (Australia one example) do not offer Non O based on retirement.

In some countries obtaining Non O retirement is possible. 

The alternative is to obtain Non O inside Thailand. 

This is best done with setv or visa exempt entry.

Be aware not possible to obtain non O from STV entry.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Well I can tell you my personal experience the last time I mentioned that I was there for a retirement extension. Total deer in the headlights reaction.

Same one time when I asked for a Return visa/stamp by mistake. "No not hab"  Luckily I remembered it was called a Re-entry Doh ! The same with the ferry one can not use the word Return its 'Go come back'

18 hours ago, jacobus said:

Thank you again, DrJack, 

Please explain what is "entry visa exempt" and how do I claim that?

The correct term is of course; "Tourist-VISA exempt"....  And that is a VISA-FREE stay in Thailand for 30 days, for citizens from certain countries among USA among others..... You just come to Thailand, and are automaticly stamped in for 30 days... You can then extend that stay for another 30 days... But after that you need to to something like an extension of stay i.e.

Glegolo

• Confused 1

On 11/11/2021 at 9:32 PM, DrJack54 said:

Don't take this the wrong way.

Extensions retirement is very simple. 

Are you using money in the bank method or income method.

Also which immigration office are you using? 

800k mate

On 11/12/2021 at 6:49 AM, Dante99 said:

How difficult is it these days to get people to call a visa a visa and an extension of stay an extension?

Here we go again. Nitpicking the use of "retirement visa". It never gets old.

As soon as they change the meaning of visa, which clearly covers the "extension of stay" term... a term probably used nowhere else in the world and only by nitpicking expats at that.

Oxford dictionary:

noun

noun: visa; plural noun: visas
  1. an endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country.

In Thailand, no matter where you go, to conduct official business (hotels, banks), they want to see your visa and they call it that too. What am I to say? "Sorry, I don't have a "visa", only an "extension of stay".... and they might say "sorry, you have no visa - no can do"

The best solution is that people like me can use inverted commas so as not to incur the wrath of the nitpickers.... or the nitpickers can just give it a break and relax. We all know exactly what they are.

Edited by JensenZ

On 11/12/2021 at 10:34 AM, Peabody said:

What are typical agent fees (from people with experience)?

I use an agent now after doing it myself for 10 years. Actually I can't call it an agent as I deal directly with an immigration officer. It's money well spent IMO. I go INTO the immigration office and get smiling service from people who don't normally smile. It takes about 5 minutes. This year, I went on a Monday and just knocked on her outside office window as it was too busy inside and she handled it through the window. Talk about an expidited service - It was a wonderful experience.

Edited by JensenZ

25 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

The best solution is that people like me can use inverted commas so as not to incur the wrath of the nitpickers....

Might be your best solution but often not for those trying to give advice. 

One example is statement..."I have a retirement visa".

Might mean a non O-A that is still valid..

Could mean have retired in Thailand and are on extensions of stay. etc etc.

Most giving advice cut slack and overlook it. 

Sometimes it requires clarification.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Might be your best solution but often not for those trying to give advice. 

One example is statement..."I have a retirement visa".

Might mean a non O-A that is still valid..

Could mean have retired in Thailand and are on extensions of stay. etc etc.

Most giving advice cut slack and overlook it. 

Sometimes it requires clarification.

Yes, I agree. On rare occassions it might require clarification, but mostly it does not as most people are on the non-O visa. In fact, my extensions of stay are ON an non-O visa, meaning I'm actually getting extensions of stay ON my visa. No non-O visa - no extenstions of stay. Try getting an extension of stay with no visa. My visa class is "Non-O - RE" stamped in my passport.