PayPal is cancelling personal accounts in Thailand from next year

webfact

2 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

They just sent to us, after receiving a deposit in to PP 

My last deposit into PP was 3 days ago, no email.  Next PP deposit, I'll keep the amount low, in case PP starts to 'play around'...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, simon43 said:

My last deposit into PP was 3 days ago, no email.  Next PP deposit, I'll keep the amount low, in case PP starts to 'play around'...

Good idea, we have never had a problem with PP but many people have, I think we will make this the last payment into PP 

17 minutes ago, vinci said:

just sign up for wise account, how do you withdraw money from wise, there's no cards available in Thailand

You have a wise borderless account and send it to your thai bank account..sometimes it arrives in 4 seconds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard 2020 said:

I see there, for the private citizen, no problem!

The only difference from before is that I can no longer receive money, or have credit on the PayPal account.

Bills I can still pay worldwide.

And more I have never done with it!

For everything else there is WISE etc.!

Indeed just a shut off of receiving funds to personal account and any balance must be removed - can still be used for payments.

PayPal will soon relaunch services in Thailand. To continue using your PayPal account to make payments, please log in to your account to review and accept the PayPal Thailand Relaunch Agreements.

On 11/14/2021 at 1:12 PM, chang50 said:

All these changes do is make life difficult for people doing nothing wrong.People working illegally are already one step ahead.I am a retiree who has a pension paid onto a wise borderless account which is very convenient and I was planning to do the same with my state pension due next year.Now everything is up in the air!

Yes, and that's a major problem.  Wise and PP should be allowed only to legit people not working illegally. Before wise and PP I used to transfer money to TH using regular wiring and it is not that bad if you transfer a big amount. 15 years ago traveler cheques were a very good option to carry many safety into TH but these are now replaced with forex cards and the service is to expensive. Still sometime is a good idea. You load $$$ in a forex card and use it as you please in TH for shopping/ATM.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 2:18 PM, david555 said:

My PayPal works still same way as from beginning , even i do not live my home country no more since 2013   my account is still alive on that address  as i kept my E.U. tel. number alive ...

So not an Thai PayPal account but a E.U. one 

Uhm I was contacted by my bank in Europe and told that as I no longer lived there I would have to close my account. Maybe I shouldn't have registered my Thai address with them, but then I wouldn't have received any correspondence from them.

17 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Did you see that notice when you logged into your PP account?

I received an email an hour ago with that message and signed on and got following email:

Thanks for accepting the PayPal Thailand Relaunch Agreements

We’ve recorded your acceptance of the PayPal Thailand Relaunch Agreements. For reference, you can find links to these agreements at the bottom of this message.

Here's what's next
Prior to transferring your account to PayPal Thailand, any balance in your PayPal account will need to be spent or transferred to your bank by February 18, 2022. If you do not have a bank linked to your account please add one now.  

We’ll also ask you to verify some additional information about your account, so please watch out for emails and account alerts from PayPal requesting this information. 

PayPal Thailand Relaunch Agreements
PayPal Thailand User Agreement
PayPal Thailand Relaunch Consent Agreement
PayPal Thailand Privacy Statement
PayPal Thailand Relaunch FAQ
Policy Updates Page for notice of changes to PayPal Thailand User Agreement 

11 minutes ago, petedk said:

Uhm I was contacted by my bank in Europe and told that as I no longer lived there I would have to close my account. Maybe I shouldn't have registered my Thai address with them, but then I wouldn't have received any correspondence from them.

Depending on bank , mine 2 banks  did not had a problem with my official leaving my country for Thailand , but in The Netherlands many have that problem and decided  not keeping those as client anymore  , and in my neighboring own country 1 up to now acted so .

But for PayPal i think   the country telephone number you give for security questions or code to receive is more important , also when you inscribed in PayPal Thailand they have no doubt how to handle , but for normal use as paying for orders  you can still use PayPal Thailand , but not for the " Sideways transfer options "

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Did you see that notice when you logged into your PP account?

No, that is an email I just received.

I have to look in my "Password Safe" software to find the Pay Pal account info, as I rarely use it. ????

So if as suggested this is all about cracking down on people working online illegally in Thailand and after paypal the spotlight moves to wise and other money transfer vehicles why stop there and not include all banks globally?After all you can have clients pay renumeration into any account you hold anywhere surely?

• Like 1

"All other users will only be able to make payments"

"Only registered Thai businesses will be able to receive money and hold a balance."

So I pay for something using a balance of 0 baht?  ????

1262048083_Screenshot2021-11-1515242601.jpg.9420c1d401983e9e1bb84c24895381c6.jpg

Edited by JetsetBkk

17 minutes ago, chang50 said:

So if as suggested this is all about cracking down on people working online illegally in Thailand and after paypal the spotlight moves to wise and other money transfer vehicles why stop there and not include all banks globally?After all you can have clients pay renumeration into any account you hold anywhere surely?

Might be even the banks are the ones who see loosing transfer clients and so " gently " push the gov. ....????

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

"All other users will only be able to make payments"

"Only registered Thai businesses will be able to receive money and hold a balance."

So I pay for something using a balance of 0 baht?  ????

1262048083_Screenshot2021-11-1515242601.jpg.9420c1d401983e9e1bb84c24895381c6.jpg

You can only make a payment using a card.

2 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

You can only make a payment using a card.

No Thai bank account neither ??

As in my E.U. PayPal  it is normal you can connect bank accounts & cards , (they are getting verified of course ...)

1 hour ago, david555 said:

No Thai bank account neither ??

As in my E.U. PayPal  it is normal you can connect bank accounts & cards , (they are getting verified of course ...)

Terms actually say Thai credit card only to make payments with PayPal Thailand on a personal account but I'd suggest having a look through them yourself and of course, it's always subject to change before it goes live February next year.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 7:19 PM, GroveHillWanderer said:

That depends entirely on what you use Paypal for. I have never used it for anything expect paying for things online. So it will still be just as useful to me as it always was.

I just use my cards why bother with PayPal 

On 11/14/2021 at 12:15 PM, mommysboy said:

Yes, at worst I'm worried the money is gone. Hopefully, it will just turn up again, but I guess ultimately there's not much I can do.

Needless to say I'll channel further payments through my UK Paypal account.

Well, mine came in on Monday (sorry, haven't read down the thread to see if yours did), so it was basically 4 days later than usual plus the weekend. So, it's still working, but it might have been delayed because of this stuff. Not sure.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 3:18 PM, Ebumbu said:

I was told work permit or no dice no way. Are you talking about a wire transfer? It was either Kbank or SCB that said no way without a work permit. Can this be overcome? 

Dee Money is OK, but not sure of sending limits. I think they keep a tight lid on that. If I needed to move funds urgently, I used Thai PP. 

it  is not so much the bank but the banker. some bankers are just ignorant.  bangkok bank is easier.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 10:45 AM, simon43 said:

I still have not received any email from Paypal Thailand about my PP account that is linked to my Thai bank accounts.  Withdrawing funds to those accounts still works fine.

But in the past few weeks, I've done the following, to minimise risk of getting funds locked:

- Opened a Wise GBP and USD accounts.  I can obtain a 'real' ATM debit card to use with those accounts when I relocate from Laos.

- Opened a Stripe business account and successfully tested it to receive payments from China using WeChat

- Opened a Payoneer account to receive funds from iTalki and successfully linked it to both my Thai and Lao bank accounts - Obtained a 'real' ATM debit card from Payoneer so I can withdraw cash directly from my Payoneer balance.

So there are alternatives to Paypal that work, even when located in 'third-rate' countries!

...can you advise me please on an alternative way to transfer money from Etsy.com in the US, to my Thai bank. I have a personal PP account at present but will be closed in February 2022, unless i convert it to a Business Account. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

5 hours ago, tandor said:

...can you advise me please on an alternative way to transfer money from Etsy.com in the US, to my Thai bank. I have a personal PP account at present but will be closed in February 2022, unless i convert it to a Business Account. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

In Thailand, Etsy only pays out to PayPal, so that is something of a problem. If possible open a foreign PayPal account and transfer the money to your Thai bank account.

If you open a company you will need to be Thai (or maybe Americans can do this too because of the Amity treaty - not too sure) or have a work permit. You can open a sole proprietorship, but you will be eligible to pay income tax if your earnings are above 150,000 Bt and also VAT if over 1,800,000 Baht

There is also the problem of liability with this kind of company (your personal assets are not safe).

NB Info above is not set in stone but it is what I have gleaned so far through some research.

50 minutes ago, cmsally said:

In Thailand, Etsy only pays out to PayPal, so that is something of a problem. If possible open a foreign PayPal account and transfer the money to your Thai bank account.

If you open a company you will need to be Thai (or maybe Americans can do this too because of the Amity treaty - not too sure) or have a work permit. You can open a sole proprietorship, but you will be eligible to pay income tax if your earnings are above 150,000 Bt and also VAT if over 1,800,000 Baht

There is also the problem of liability with this kind of company (your personal assets are not safe).

NB Info above is not set in stone but it is what I have gleaned so far through some research.

...thanks for your ideas..i am foreigner living in Thailand, my PP account i opened here in my Thai partners name. I suppose i could get the buyer in Etsy.com to pay the purchase price direct into my Visa Credit Card account, or Debit Account. I suppose Etsy would refuse as they dont get any fee then apart from my listing fee! Your thoughts appreciated.

11 minutes ago, tandor said:

...thanks for your ideas..i am foreigner living in Thailand, my PP account i opened here in my Thai partners name. I suppose i could get the buyer in Etsy.com to pay the purchase price direct into my Visa Credit Card account, or Debit Account. I suppose Etsy would refuse as they dont get any fee then apart from my listing fee! Your thoughts appreciated.

Etsy buyers will only have the option of PayPal (or card which will go through PayPal). You will then have to pay the Etsy fees (again through PayPal or a credit card). Other countries have the option of Etsy Payments, I am not quite sure what choices , if any, that offers, but as far as I know that will take PayPal out of the process. I think the payments get held by Etsy then go to your bank account, but is seems to give Etsy a very high level of control.

I also have a small shop on Etsy which I enjoy immensely and I plan to just add my foreign PayPal and send the money abroad. Then transfer as necessary. 

I had an interesting conversation with a PayPal representative yesterday who called me out of the blue from Singapore. Basically PayPal in Thailand used be under PayPal Singapore and now it will be a totally Thai licensed entity. Difficult to know exactly who controls it now and how but it would seem that PayPal have just woken up to the fact they will be losing most of their customers.  I didn't hold back and told him quite frankly what I thought of it (and he seemed to agree with me!).