Thailand's Health Minister denied entry to Switzerland for WHO meet after vax with Sinovac

webfact

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

One has to wonder what the fallout will be here in Thailand. I am sure he was also going to go skiing while there, poor chap drinking beer from the keg of the Saint Bernard will have to wait.

I thought it was brandy in the keg? or schnapps?

7 hours ago, mahtin said:

Not like he was turned back at the border. He simply had to admit he can't go with his present vax history.

Have to allow for some journalistic licence to create a good story.

And his vaccine history would allow him to enter the UK, so perhaps he could join his boss at COP26 to not sign some pledges.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, koratkarlos said:

In some ways I like the spontaneity (...)

I wish I had been more spontaneous like the Thais before. Then I wouldn't have some of my holiday funds circulating in the Australian economy since 2019/2020, but without getting any services I booked. Heaven knows when I will be able to catch up with it. Planning is so 2019...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

2 hours ago, NicoBKK said:

Well this is also showing the stubbornness of EU, where double or triple vaccinated people cannot get in if they did not get the "EU kind of approved" vaccine (no Sinovac, Sinopharm, Sputnik, India and Thai AZ). All politics too.

But it does bring good things with it (in this case)

5 hours ago, BestB said:

Yes ok funny , but hardly amusing for millions of Thai who had no options and were mislead and lied to.

any Thai wanting to travel may face same problems because of vaccines made available to them by this expert also known as Anutin

The information regarding certain vaccines not being recognized in many countries has been published and reported on for many months now.

I would be surprised if Thai citizens were not already aware of this and those who wanted to travel therefore held off to get Astra Zeneca or Pfizer.  Unfortunately, many had no choice but the Chinese made vaccines. 

There are countries that recognize Sinovac and it seems that there is an increasing trend to accept it. 

Interestingly China has made it very difficult to allow travellers to enter China without their Chinese made vaccines (obviously a Chinese CCP tantrum face saving tactic, as the data is well and truly in that their vaccines are not as efficacious as Western and Russian vaccines).  

• Like 1

According to my understanding, there shouldn't be any problem for him to enter Switzerland based on the vaccines here in Thailand:

Link is published by the Swiss Government:

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html#-440105700

Which COVID-19 vaccines allow entry to Switzerland?

People who have received one of the following vaccines can enter Switzerland:

• Pfizer/BioNTech (BNT162b2 / Comirnaty® / Tozinameran)
  • Moderna (mRNA-1273 / Spikevax / COVID-19 vaccine Moderna)
  • AstraZeneca (AZD1222 Vaxzevria®/ Covishield™)
  • Janssen / Johnson & Johnson (Ad26.COV2.S)
  • Sinopharm / BIBP (SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine (Vero Cell))
  • Sinovac (CoronaVac)
  • COVAXIN®

People who have been vaccinated with two different vaccines are considered to be fully vaccinated if:

• the vaccines used have been approved by the authorities in Switzerland (Swissmedic) and the EU (EMA) or are on the WHO emergency use list and
  • they were administered in accordance with the regulations or recommendations of the state in which the vaccination took place.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The minister - who started the pandemic calling foreigners "dirty", continued with various protocol breaches and tame denials and presided over the early debacle of slow vaccination now has a country ban on his CV.

He knows now who is actually dirty

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Well that also puts to rest any suggestion that the Deputy PM had surreptitiously obtained 2 doses of either Pfizer or Moderna

Not necessarily, he would be committing political suicide if he had played that card. He had no choice but to go with his original PR stunt. I’ll bet my everything I own that he took the Pfizer jab.

47 minutes ago, Opossum said:

According to my understanding, there shouldn't be any problem for him to enter Switzerland based on the vaccines here in Thailand:

Link is published by the Swiss Government:

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html#-440105700

Which COVID-19 vaccines allow entry to Switzerland?

People who have received one of the following vaccines can enter Switzerland:

• Pfizer/BioNTech (BNT162b2 / Comirnaty® / Tozinameran)
  • Moderna (mRNA-1273 / Spikevax / COVID-19 vaccine Moderna)
  • AstraZeneca (AZD1222 Vaxzevria®/ Covishield™)
  • Janssen / Johnson & Johnson (Ad26.COV2.S)
  • Sinopharm / BIBP (SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine (Vero Cell))
  • Sinovac (CoronaVac)
  • COVAXIN®

People who have been vaccinated with two different vaccines are considered to be fully vaccinated if:

• the vaccines used have been approved by the authorities in Switzerland (Swissmedic) and the EU (EMA) or are on the WHO emergency use list and
  • they were administered in accordance with the regulations or recommendations of the state in which the vaccination took place.

Maybe he could get in but he wouldn't be able to get into restaurants, conference halls, events, bars etc without a Covid Certificate, from your link:

"If you received the Sinopharm or Sinovac vaccines and are travelling to Switzerland as a tourist, you cannot apply for a Swiss COVID certificate."

So unless he was to wait outside in the shivering cold while everyone else attended the meetings then this is the reason he couldn't go without an additional vaccine dose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1