Triple motorcycle tragedy: Mother and twins die in Pathum Thani - father grievous in hospital

webfact

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTY5NC84NDcyNzUwL2Nhci5qcGc=.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Klong Sip Song police in Pathum Thani north of the Thai capital Bangkok were called to the scene of an accident in which a motorcycle carrying four members of one family collided with a 22 wheel truck trailer.

Dead at the scene was a Myanmar woman called Momo and her three year old twins - a girl called Nam Fon and a boy named Phayu, reported Sanook

Grievously injured at the scene was their father, 44 year old Prasan, who had been riding the Honda Click. 

The accident happened on the Lam Lukka Road as the Highways Department truck was turning into a site, according to a witness. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-11-13

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7

Are there any statistics which show the number of people killed in accidents involving HGVs?

It doesn’t matter how well protected a motorcyclist and passengers are, they don’t stand a chance when up against a poorly driven, badly serviced and overloaded monster - especially on Thailand’s poorly maintained roads. 

I feel really sorry for this family.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That rule exists, as does the helmet rule. 

What doesn’t exist is enforcement - the Police and those in positions of decision making power enable the continued road deaths with an absence of enforcement. 

It seems ‘additional tolerance’ is afforded to the poor as they lack alternatives for transport and don’t have money to pay for fines for not wearing a helmet - its almost as if people in positions of decision making power don’t care - well, not almost, they just don’t. 

Quiet correct.I'm a very experienced motor cyclist . It send shivers through me when I see  a number of children  and adults on a mother cycle ,and the police do nothing about it. It's a tragedy .The Government is assisting people to commit suicide built taking drastic action.

• Like 1

Because you don’t need to put more than one person on your bike. 

I’m not justifying the actions of the poor who have limited transport options, but I can understand how or why more than two on a motorcycle has become the norm and why it's tolerated. 

Ultimately its the same reason a pickup can be crammed full of migrant workers and no one cares - the poor don’t have money, so they don’t matter - its almost like a caste system, they are considered ‘untouchables’ by those higher up the socio-economic food chain who simply do not care for or of anything they consider below them. 

fourth world country, life is cheap.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, apetryxx said:

Enforcement, enforcement & enforcement! How infinitely stupid is it to race around with your kids on a motor scooter, no helmets but with a useless cotton mask on your face. It’s patently insane.

in America we call it child endangerment

• Like 1

What doesn’t exist is enforcement - the Police and those in positions of decision making power enable the continued road deaths with an absence of enforcement. 

I would call this a woke-style, total distortion of cause and effect !

There is not only a law, there is also common understanding.

And here we have:

A father, blatantly neglecting the law and the dangers involved.

Crashing in a truck, because he did not drive in defensive style.

And you blame the Police? Really? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That rule exists, as does the helmet rule. 

It seems ‘additional tolerance’ is afforded to the poor as they lack alternatives for transport and don’t have money to pay for fines for not wearing a helmet - its almost as if people in positions of decision making power don’t care - well, not almost, they just don’t. 

Something else to lay at feet of the Puppet Government, but I forget, they dont give a rat's analsfinkta about their people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

The biggest problem is that everyone including the police need to be paid a reasonable wage and the police need to be SUPPLIED with the correct equipement to do the job and not have to buy it out of their own pockets and they need to be made to get out on the roads and patrol them and enforce the road laws and forget about these stupid checkpoints.

The police are well paid if they did/do their jobs. The police receive 95% of any fine that they issue. The remaining 5% goes to the Department of Land Transport. The 95% received by the police is pooled with other officers  that work back at the station. But being lazy barstools it pays them to take a bribe and split it with no one.

Under the Article 44 order, the Department of Land Transport will get 5 per cent of each traffic fine and pass on the rest of the fine money to traffic police.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Based on the description in the article, I don't know how people can attribute fault for the collision to the motorcyclist. If the motorcycle was on the road shoulder or in the left-hand lane, and the truck (which was quite long) made a wide left-turn off the road, the truck had a duty to verify that there was no traffic approaching from behind before making his turn.

I think the reason why the police take a laissez-faire approach to traffic violations like no helmet and excessive number of passengers is because they fear excessive policing may generate social unrest and erosion of police authority when traffic tickets go unpaid.

Calls for higher wages so families can afford to travel more safely are admirable, but I wonder how many forum members would be up in arms over the higher prices for consumer goods which would ensue.

I don't think Western-style road enforcement standards can be instituted overnight. Something clearly needs to be done, but I think it's going to have to be incremental change as there are too many socioeconomic factors in play to make all the necessary changes overnight.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4