Thailand Pass Questions

Trying to help out my tech challenged friend successfully navigate the Thailand Pass system with the Test and Go option but have a few questions.

1) Is it correct that my American friend does not need a visa and can still get Thailand Pass approval if planning to get a 30 day (or 45) visa exempt stamp?

2) Is it correct that the only lodging that needs to be booked and paid for in advance is one day at an approved Test and Go Hotel?

3) Do any Americans have QR codes on their vaccination receipts?  If a QR makes the process go smoothly, is there a way one can retroactively get a QR code?  Thanks! ????

• Sad 1

The correct term is Visa on arrival.   There is no such a thing as Visa exempt.   Your question may pose as confusing.   Can you clarify  if that is actually  what you are asking or are you asking if Americans  are exempt  from getting a Visa?

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A visa on arrival is only for 15 days after applying for it and paying a 2000 baht fee for it if you are from one of the 18 countries that qualifies for it.

The correct word for what the OP qualifies for is a 30 day visa exempt entry.

I seem to get 30 days on my Visa on Arrival with an option to do additional  30 days after that is to expire,  so your information is incorrect. It is not a visa exempt,  as that would imply one not need a visa, and when you get the stamp it is a 30 day visa.  So try again with your personal opinion.   You should actually  look at the MFA and get correct information to share.  Visa on arrival  15days... really I have a passport book full of the 30dayvisa on arrival not exempt,  as no country is exempt from having a visa.

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

You should actually  look at the MFA and get correct information to share.

What an excellent idea;

A:    Nationals of the United States of America and 41 other countries are eligible

to travel to Thailand, for tourism purpose, with the exemption of visa and

are permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days.

Therefore, you do not need a visa.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

What an excellent idea;

A:    Nationals of the United States of America and 41 other countries are eligible

to travel to Thailand, for tourism purpose, with the exemption of visa and

are permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days.

Therefore, you do not need a visa.

Lol.  Look at the stamp in the book.  It will read 30 day visa.  However  fair play.  Conceding as its not 15 days, and by the reading as per your text exempt 

2 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Lol.  Look at the stamp in the book.  It will read 30 day visa.  However  fair play.  Conceding as its not 15 days, and by the reading as per your text exempt 

This makes it much clearer.

image.png.fbbf3684c0e770199e4e312589e9d81e.png

Source: List of countries for visa exempt and visas on arrival dated October 2021.263.57 kB · 4 downloads

57 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

really I have a passport book full of the 30dayvisa

They're entry stamps noting the date of your arrival and granting 30 days in the country, given by the Immigration Officer at passport control. Certain nationalities can't get on the plane to Thailand without a visa. A few nationalities who need a visa are allowed to get it on arrival, at a 'Visa on arrival' desk before the ramp up to passport control (at Suvarnabhumi at least). They then have to present themselves to passport control. I bet you've never had to go to the Visa on Arrival desk.

The OP must be sorry he asked.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

in my passport TIT appear to use the same stamp for TR 60 and the 30 day entry (visa exemption). both refer to a "visa class" which IO endorses accordingly. i have never utilised the Visa on Arrival mode so don't know what stamp gets used there. i am not aware of any 30 day visa issued by embassies/consulates.  

1 hour ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I bet you've never had to go to the Visa on Arrival desk.

this. I've previously gotten VOAs in Indonesia and Cambodia. as you said, first you go to the visa desk, get assessed and if found worthy you pay the visa fee and get a nice little sticker put in your PP. or not so little as the case may be.

then you head to the normal entry lane and get stamped in for the number of days allowed by the visa. 

I'm happy to be corrected by UJ but I can't e that the Thai process is any different for citizens of those countries that require a VOA to enter the kingdom.

9 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I'm happy to be corrected by UJ but I can't e that the Thai process is any different for citizens of those countries that require a VOA to enter the kingdom.

Here you line up at the VOA lane, apply for it, pay the fee and then get stamped into the country. No need go to the normal entry lanes.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Here you line up at the VOA lane, apply for it, pay the fee and then get stamped into the country. No need go to the normal entry lanes.

that's nice and efficient. Bali had a separate desk and so did Phnom Penh. Jakarta did it at the normal immigration desk. I think my IO at CGK was in a bad mood because he made the visa sticker take up most of the page by putting it vertically instead of horizontally (Indo had a cute little reduced-size VOA sticker)

6 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

that's nice and efficient. Bali had a separate desk and so did Phnom Penh. Jakarta did it at the normal immigration desk. I think my IO at CGK was in a bad mood because he made the visa sticker take up most of the page by putting it vertically instead of horizontally (Indo had a cute little reduced-size VOA sticker)

I have only done them at Laos at border crossings. It was line up a a window get the visa and then go through the entry desks.

For all the other countries I have entered I had a visa or got a exempt entry.

3 hours ago, Bvor said:

in my passport TIT appear to use the same stamp for TR 60 and the 30 day entry (visa exemption). both refer to a "visa class" which IO endorses accordingly. i have never utilised the Visa on Arrival mode so don't know what stamp gets used there. i am not aware of any 30 day visa issued by embassies/consulates.  

Its 30 on Arrival for The citizens of the USA.  I have a passport  full of these stamps

31 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Its 30 on Arrival for The citizens of the USA.  I have a passport  full of these stamps

Again, you're confusing the terminology.  It's 30 days visa exempt for citizens of the USA.  

As has been explained many, many times to you already on this thread, visa exempt does not equal Visa on Arrival (VOA).  

An entry stamp in your passport is not a visa.

Edited by TheAppletons
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, wasabi said:

That's true for most states but I got vaccinated on California and QR codes are available online there. However they use a proprietary system called Smart Health that a standard QR reader can't scan. However Thailand recently added these to the automatic approval process. 

I gave them both my CDC card and my California certificate and also used the QR code from the latter, worked fine and I was approved in under a day.

On 11/14/2021 at 10:23 PM, TheAppletons said:

Again, you're confusing the terminology.  It's 30 days visa exempt for citizens of the USA.  

As has been explained many, many times to you already on this thread, visa exempt does not equal Visa on Arrival (VOA).  

An entry stamp in your passport is not a visa.

It's comical that you would attemt to say this.  I am looking at my passport  right now and the date I arrived in country.  The stamp reads Viss 08 Feb20XX admitted until 08 Mar 2 po XX.  So get angry all you want and call it a visa exempt,  as no one is exempt  from a Visa.  So I am telling you with solid proof as I have my eyes on the stamp reading the Visa Class tourist that it is a 30 day visa.  No matter how you attempt to frame it or get angry it is not an exemption.   If I could add a photo here I would so that everyone reading this would see that it is a visa stamp.  My immediate next stamp dated 07 April is a tourist extension,  meaning a 30 day extension  of the Visa on Arrival.  So two stamps as a tourist visa in my passport.   Oh how I wish I could add a photo that all could see you are talking out the side of something.  Oh look there, I have a 30 day border crossing visa in my passport  as well.  Visa class Tourist.. you just can't be wrong can you?  No one is exempt  from having a visa be it on arrival or applied and received before entering.  It is a approved visa to enter be it a stamp or sticker, on arrival or applied  for before.  Oh there is another Visa on arrival from 2019 stamp reading Tourist class Visa 30 days.  Not exempt.   I know, I know you are an alpha male and you just cant be wrong can you?  Its ok, I understand.   You actually  believe  someone can be exempt and not need a visa stamp or sticker in their passport.   You're funny Bless you because I really needed a laugh.  I forget that so many people think they know everything  and that they are the same ones who are correct  and regardless  of procedures and documentation  it doesnt matter, because  those who know it all like you, are the authorities.   Why doesn't  everyone just come see you and get the  fictional visa exempt  stamp.  I mean who actually  needs the Visa Class tourist  Visa permitted to stay 30 days, when you are certain that theres a Visa exempt  stamp.  

9 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

It's comical that you would attemt to say this.  I am looking at my passport  right now and the date I arrived in country.  The stamp reads Viss 08 Feb20XX admitted until 08 Mar 2 po XX.  So get angry all you want and call it a visa exempt,  as no one is exempt  from a Visa.  So I am telling you with solid proof as I have my eyes on the stamp reading the Visa Class tourist that it is a 30 day visa.  No matter how you attempt to frame it or get angry it is not an exemption.   If I could add a photo here I would so that everyone reading this would see that it is a visa stamp.  My immediate next stamp dated 07 April is a tourist extension,  meaning a 30 day extension  of the Visa on Arrival.  So two stamps as a tourist visa in my passport.   Oh how I wish I could add a photo that all could see you are talking out the side of something.  Oh look there, I have a 30 day border crossing visa in my passport  as well.  Visa class Tourist.. you just can't be wrong can you?  No one is exempt  from having a visa be it on arrival or applied and received before entering.  It is a approved visa to enter be it a stamp or sticker, on arrival or applied  for before.  Oh there is another Visa on arrival from 2019 stamp reading Tourist class Visa 30 days.  Not exempt.   I know, I know you are an alpha male and you just cant be wrong can you?  Its ok, I understand.   You actually  believe  someone can be exempt and not need a visa stamp or sticker in their passport.   You're funny Bless you because I really needed a laugh.  I forget that so many people think they know everything  and that they are the same ones who are correct  and regardless  of procedures and documentation  it doesnt matter, because  those who know it all like you, are the authorities.   Why doesn't  everyone just come see you and get the  fictional visa exempt  stamp.  I mean who actually  needs the Visa Class tourist  Visa permitted to stay 30 days, when you are certain that theres a Visa exempt  stamp.  

You can add a photo. Many others on here have. You simply select the "choose files" at the bottom of the form where you respond to someone's post.

Aseannow01.jpg

10 hours ago, donx said:

You can add a photo. Many others on here have. You simply select the "choose files" at the bottom of the form where you respond to someone's post.

Aseannow01.jpg

Thank you.  And here they are.  One is from arriving at the airport  and receiving the 30 day tourist  visa on arrival.  Not exempt!  You can see the words Visa Class and in the Thai language  its written  tourist.  But just in case there is some confusion  and a problem  reading Thai I have attached the 60 Day border stamp which is exactly  the same stamp and Visa, as a Visa on arrival not exempt.   It is written in English and it reads Visa Class TR.  Meaning 30 day tourist.   There is no exemption.   One is not exempt  from having a Visa.  The difference  is that if one doesn't apply for a 60 day visa before they depart from home country then they,certain countries, are allowed the 30 day tourist visa on arrival without applying for a visa before hand.  Well there it is in an attached color photo with the words staring it is a visa and not an exemption. 

20211117_222246.jpg20211117_222305.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

You can see the words Visa Class and in the Thai language  its written  tourist. 

What is written on this stamp in Thai is free not tourist. The one on the right side was a tourist visa since it has TR on it.

image.png.891c0f85ce579b13875a084c4bc1ce57.png

• Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 1:12 AM, WEBBYB808 said:

The correct term is Visa on arrival.   There is no such a thing as Visa exempt.   Your question may pose as confusing.   Can you clarify  if that is actually  what you are asking or are you asking if Americans  are exempt  from getting a Visa?

Lets hope there will booster shots or opening a country will be for not.