Drivers of smoke emitting vehicles face fines of up to 6,000 THB

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Drivers of vehicles in Thailand that emit black smoke face fines of up to 6,000 THB and could also have their licenses revoked.

Just take the vehicles off the road and give them a month to be retested at a test station to be witnessed by police.

Fines achieve nothing except lining the pockets of certain people.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How often do they have to pay that fine?

Once a day?

Once a year?

Or once for the lifetime of that vehicle?

f72fc862424fa9afd25d560c949c1703.jpeg

That's like a local oil burning chunker I use daily, must have been built 30+ years ago.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How often do they have to pay that fine?

Once a day?

Once a year?

Or once for the lifetime of that vehicle?

f72fc862424fa9afd25d560c949c1703.jpeg

Another good way when times are hard to make money. 6000 baht X half the cars, bikes, buses. trucks on the road. Are they also going to give rewards for smoky vehicles?

4 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I wondered when this announcement would reappear again this year (with nothing changing, obviously). My betting was October. Darn. Could be September next year? I honestly think they’ve used the same photo as last year as well. 

Agree, this has been announced and 'campaigns' conducted many many times over at least the last 15 years that I'm ware of, all with no result / no improvement.

Here we go again, a nice direct to pocket cash earner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tonray said:

Yet this guy gets off without so much as a warning 

Clipboard01.png.4cabc6a7daf8c8b8ec28e5850b68a6fd.png

Don't be silly

The cars in question are "souped up" diesel engine cars, which emit a huge cloud of dust when they accelerate. 

This is a few coals on a barbeque, going up in the air - rather than floor level fumes that go straight in your face.

• Like 1

Obviously can't disagree with the proposal.

However the problem as always is how can you enforce the legislation that can effectively impose a fine on someone that will more than likely represent half of their monthly income?

Much the same as the 300 Baht fine for not wearing a crash helmet,  in most cases it represents a days wages.

The likely reason privately owned vehicles are spewing out black smoke is because the owner cannot afford to repair the vehicle which will probably be his only form of income.

Of course commercial vehicles are a different proposition, they will have sufficient funds to do what ever is the cheaper option whether it's pay off the police or pay the fine.

• Like 2

I think it is safe to say, we all know this is a good idea but will never be enforced.

Just wish they would also go after those retarded idiots the drive those super loud "look at me" vehicles.  

There is just no will to ever do anything about the road death rate, air or noise pollution here in Thailand.

I often wonder, with regard to fatal RTA, what percentage of vehicles are unroadworthy?? 

• Like 1

My older car has to go over the pits before I can pay & get my annual tax sticker. (200Bht)

The smokey pickups &  buses that I see on the roads must keep the warrant of fitness staff in new cars every year. Corruption at it's finest

The police must also have a field day or are they just very lazy

My older car has to go over the pits before I can pay & get my annual tax sticker. (200Bht)

The smokey pickups &  buses that I see on the roads must keep the warrant of fitness staff in new cars every year. Corruption at it's finest

The police must also have a field day or are they just very lazy

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, itsari said:

That's small fry compared to the thousands of cars and trucks emitting excessive exhaust .

Are there any statistics anywhere?  I know that commuter cars are by far the worst PM2.5 polluters but I don't know what the actual figure is.