Very BEST mattress, from your own experience, available in Thailand, which skyrocketed you into the land of NOD. And, due to which, you awoke each morning...feeling Top of the World?

GammaGlobulin

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

I originally bought a Lady Americana at Homepro ended up giving it away. The high end Sealy and Serta are a fraction of the cost in US for same product. When I selected in Central the salesman was overjoyed. It's a third of your life and essential to well being worth every satang don't skimp on mattress!

Speaking of Serta, I guess you know this old TV advertisement...

Note: I would NEVER want to sleep with Joey; she's toooo noisy for me.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

A little before my time but I recall the name. Dont sleep with a lady who stabs you in the hand with a steak knife 

"In July 1985, she was arrested and charged with theft of services for refusing to pay a $4,906 bill from a hotel and spa in Long Island where she stayed in 1984. She pleaded not guilty to the charge.[24]

On July 8, 1985, she was arrested and charged with interfering with a government agent's duties and disturbing the peace after she allegedly slapped and pulled the hair of a clerk at Manhattan's U.S. Passport Agency office.[25][26] She was acquitted of both charges in September 1986.[25]

On August 30, 1986, Heatherton was arrested for assault in Hillcrest, Rockland County, New York, after she stabbed Jerry Fisher, her former boyfriend and ex-manager, in the hand with a steak knife during an argument. Fisher was later treated at a local hospital and released.[27] After her arrest, Heatherton told police who she was, but they did not believe her. She then handed one of the officers her purse to verify her identity. While looking through Heatherton's purse, the officer found a foil packet with less than a gram of cocaine. Heatherton was charged with assault and misdemeanor drug possession. In October 1987, a court ruled that the search was unconstitutional as Heatherton was not advised that she could refuse a purse search. As a result, the misdemeanor drug possession was dropped.[28] Jerry Fisher later dropped the charge of assault against Heatherton."

29 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

A little before my time but I recall the name. Dont sleep with a lady who stabs you in the hand with a steak knife 

"In July 1985, she was arrested and charged with theft of services for refusing to pay a $4,906 bill from a hotel and spa in Long Island where she stayed in 1984. She pleaded not guilty to the charge.[24]

On July 8, 1985, she was arrested and charged with interfering with a government agent's duties and disturbing the peace after she allegedly slapped and pulled the hair of a clerk at Manhattan's U.S. Passport Agency office.[25][26] She was acquitted of both charges in September 1986.[25]

On August 30, 1986, Heatherton was arrested for assault in Hillcrest, Rockland County, New York, after she stabbed Jerry Fisher, her former boyfriend and ex-manager, in the hand with a steak knife during an argument. Fisher was later treated at a local hospital and released.[27] After her arrest, Heatherton told police who she was, but they did not believe her. She then handed one of the officers her purse to verify her identity. While looking through Heatherton's purse, the officer found a foil packet with less than a gram of cocaine. Heatherton was charged with assault and misdemeanor drug possession. In October 1987, a court ruled that the search was unconstitutional as Heatherton was not advised that she could refuse a purse search. As a result, the misdemeanor drug possession was dropped.[28] Jerry Fisher later dropped the charge of assault against Heatherton."

So, no matter the mattress, never sleep with a woman like Joey, even a Serta.

7 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

So, no matter the mattress, never sleep with a woman like Joey, even a Serta.

Never interested in caucasian women do you remember the Kim Sisters or yeoman Tamura from the Starship enterprise? My first crush was Red Buttons double suicide wife in SAYONARA with Marlon Brando.

Unknown.jpeg

Yeoman_Tamura.jpg

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Here's the latex mattress emissions issue I alluded to above.... All I know on this subject is what I read in this news report, which seemed to focus on Thailand produced latex mattresses as opposed to ones imported from the west:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2018/06/356_250111.html

"A deadly level of radiation has been detected from anion-contained latex products sold in a number of tourist destinations in Thailand, including Phuket, Krabi, Bangkok and Pattaya, according to industry sources.

Those products were found to include monazite powder. Monazite is an ore containing radioactive thorium to boost the anion production _ but it can raise levels of radon emitted. This, in a worst case scenario, could cause elevated risks for cancer.

"I would say 95 percent of the anion latex products sold here are made with monazite. Monazite is a cheap mineral that has a large amount of anions. It generates a massive amount of radiation at the same," said an industry insider on the condition of anonymity during an interview with The Korea Times. "There are other substances that generate anions. But monazite is the cheapest material that leaves a big margin for retailers."

I assume the below company is using Thai latex.

I guess I need a Geiger counter to find out.

www.restexthailand.com 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Do you have any evidence-based reason for believing this?

https://www.sleephealthjournal.org/article/S2352-7218(15)00140-0/fulltext

Alternatively, the most comfortable mattress might improve your state of happiness, which might prolong your life.

Yeah, sure. But taking into consideration health of your back is important. If a soft mattress worsens any back issues, and you end up 2x worse in 2-4 years, or develop back issues, that comfort isn't that great. You need comfort and health.

Edited by ThLT

Any of the quality Western mattresses. 

Thais are generally light, so mattresses with less strength suit them just fine. Also, they tend to be younger (than us old guys) and fitter. 

I've found that losing weight, drinking less and exercising is helpful. I also purchased one of those super heavy American mattress a few years back. Lovely to sleep on. 

What I don't like at all are thosw super expensive foam mattresses. 

4 minutes ago, ThLT said:

https://www.sleephealthjournal.org/article/S2352-7218(15)00140-0/fulltext

Yeah, sure. But taking into consideration health of your back is important. If a soft mattress worsens any back issues, and you end up 2x worse in 2-4 years, or develop back issues, that comfort isn't that great. You need comfort and health.

Well noted. 

However, is there any evidence for your claim? 

Either way, personally, I sleep on a large solid-wood door with a very thin padding. 

Hard as hickory wood. 

My hips are killing me. 

But, my back feels great. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Well noted. 

However, is there any evidence for your claim? 

Did you read the systemic review? Find other studies. Or even better, talk to a medical professional.

Either way, personally, I sleep on a large solid-wood door with a very thin padding. 

Hard as hickory wood. 

My hips are killing me. 

But, my back feels great. 

Yes, good for your back. Sleeping on an overly hard mattress (or door?) is probably the other extreme, though, and equally as bad. I read that overly hard surfaces are difficult for those with hip issues.

Anyway, I would maybe talk to someone more knowledgable like a medical professional before investing in a $2000 mattress. But it's your choice. I just know that soft mattresses are usually unhealthy, especially long term. They just bend your spine in whatever way, based on whichever parts of your body are the most heavy.

Cheers.

20 minutes ago, ThLT said:

Did you read the systemic review? Find other studies. Or even better, talk to a medical professional.

Yes, good for your back. Sleeping on an overly hard mattress (or door?) is probably the other extreme, though, and equally as bad. I read that overly hard surfaces are difficult for those with hip issues.

Anyway, I would maybe talk to someone more knowledgable like a medical professional before investing in a $2000 mattress. But it's your choice. I just know that soft mattresses are usually unhealthy, especially long term. They just bend your spine in whatever way, based on whichever parts of your body are the most heavy.

Cheers.

In my case, I would need to talk to a headshrinker, not just a medical professional, if I were to invest USD2000 in a mattress.

If I were to pay big bucks for something to sleep on, then it would probably be a hand-tied silk rug, and very beautiful.

13 hours ago, 86Tiger said:

My last 2 have come from Robinsons.  Sealy posturpedic, firm with soft topper.

But mattresses are like women, every one likes something  different that is why they make so many options.

Exactly what I got.  The topper is part of the mattress.  It wasn't cheap.  Some 80k Baht or so.  But what a mattress.  Wow.

13 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Many years ago, I stayed at a Marriot in Bkk and the bed was like floating on a cloud... I assume it was the topper as much as the mattress [or more] that made it so comfortable. I tried buying it from Marriot w/o much luck.. 

The difficulty of the question is that everyone likes a different feel and you can lie on a new mattress but not for a night... it is difficult to choose. 

Difficult to find a hotel in Thailand with a comfortable mattress .

I bought five mattresses from a manufacturer in Thailand called lucky . I am more than pleased with them .

Also worth noting you can order to the size you want . 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, itsari said:

Difficult to find a hotel in Thailand with a comfortable mattress .

I bought five mattresses from a manufacturer in Thailand called lucky . I am more than pleased with them .

Also worth noting you can order to the size you want . 

Seems that Lucky was established in 1965.  I just visited their site.  Might be a very good option, rather than buying imported mattresses to Thailand, if unecessry.

Maybe like exporting ice cubes to Inuits, just buying local would be better.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I see their Experience model listed in the Dun catalog I just got. Their king is listed at 43,000 on sale, though presumably it can be had for considerably less. It's listed in their "Ultra Firm" category, but is listed as having "soft" foam layers, whereas the Ecstasy model we're getting is also classed as "Ultra Firm," but their catalog says it has "medium" foam layers. They list the Experience as 8.5 inches deep, while the Ectasy is listed as 10.5 inches deep.

I sure hope I get a good 10+ years out of ours.... ????

8.5 inches is more than enough , as buying mattress sheet  already  bit struggle to get one sized covers sufficient enough the mattress elastics corners ....

05 inches  also does not suffers with my 73 kilograms ....(that depends maybe your life expectansy of the mattress ????

BTW i bought mine for 12999 Bht .....10 years ago in Homepro  and in "sales offer" .....that took me over the line to "hurt my KK debitcard " ????

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There is no such thing as the perfect mattress!

There might be such thing as the perfect mattress for each individual, but it won't be the same for all of us.

I read a long test from experts in a foreign language about mattresses. It depends a lot on how you sleep (side, back, etc.). It depends on your weight, it depends on the climate (do you want a bed that keeps you warm or cool), and lots of different criteria.

If you found what is good for you at that time and that place that doesn't mean it's also good for anybody else at another time and another place.

I am a 3/4 all around sleeper except belly sleeping .....so  now this up is for those experts to give an answer/solution  in that hightech opinion of them .....????, about warm or cold sleeping ...., we are in Thailand and i most sleeping without cover sheet  so that eliminate that part of the experts sleeping theory also ????

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Here's the latex mattress emissions issue I alluded to above.... All I know on this subject is what I read in this news report, which seemed to focus on Thailand produced latex mattresses as opposed to ones imported from the west:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2018/06/356_250111.html

"A deadly level of radiation has been detected from anion-contained latex products sold in a number of tourist destinations in Thailand, including Phuket, Krabi, Bangkok and Pattaya, according to industry sources.

Those products were found to include monazite powder. Monazite is an ore containing radioactive thorium to boost the anion production _ but it can raise levels of radon emitted. This, in a worst case scenario, could cause elevated risks for cancer.

"I would say 95 percent of the anion latex products sold here are made with monazite. Monazite is a cheap mineral that has a large amount of anions. It generates a massive amount of radiation at the same," said an industry insider on the condition of anonymity during an interview with The Korea Times. "There are other substances that generate anions. But monazite is the cheapest material that leaves a big margin for retailers."

Well after 10 years + sleeping on a mini Tsjernobyl i must having a health resistance ......???? reading that, ....

Why the hell i was worrying myself to get Pfizer shots....! ????

????

11 minutes ago, david555 said:

I am a 3/4 all around sleeper except belly sleeping .....so  now this up is for those experts to give an answer/solution  in that hightech opinion of them .....????, about warm or cold sleeping ...., we are in Thailand and i most sleeping without cover sheet  so that eliminate that part of the experts sleeping theory also ????

My point was and is that we are not all the same. I.e. even in hot Thailand I like to sleep in a "cold" airconditioned room and cover myself and cuddle with my gf. So it seems that part is also not eliminated.

There are so many "what is best" lists out there it's tiring. Or maybe it's more tiring that some people think there is the best solution which fits all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Seems that Lucky was established in 1965.  I just visited their site.  Might be a very good option, rather than buying imported mattresses to Thailand, if unecessry.

Maybe like exporting ice cubes to Inuits, just buying local would be better.

Reasonable prices as well 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 3 inch thick  natural latex topper from Tesco  @ 5000 baht I thought it expensive at the time but took a chance but  4 years later it still  provides a much better sleep than  just the ordinary mattress.

9 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Is it now a question of culture if you sleep on the side or on the back? 

Both sides and  back  but not front  also not standing up and not whist driving ????

On 11/27/2021 at 7:00 PM, johng said:

I bought a 3 inch thick  natural latex topper from Tesco  @ 5000 baht I thought it expensive at the time but took a chance but  4 years later it still  provides a much better sleep than  just the ordinary mattress.

Both sides and  back  but not front  also not standing up and not whist driving ????

Also, for men who sleep on their backs, on any mattress....Beware the Succubus.

• 2 months later...

Old thread now but still relevant.  We are also in the market for a new mattress and, like TGJ I'm also looking at the Dunlopillo Ecstasy.  Had a stroll round both Home Pro and Central after doing some initial internet searches and also came the conclusion that the RRP of mattresses supposedly on 'sale' are wildly over-inflated, such as to bring the sale price down to a still overly-inflated sale price.  I guess they do it here because they can get away with it and there's always some sucker that will swallow it I guess.

We've swung back and forth a few times between pocket spring or latex, in some ways preferring the former for the supposedly better ventilation, but my wife is dead against springs of any sort, on the basis that regardless of how many there are or how well isolated they are they are, they are STILL springs.  I'd imagine you'd have great luck in pursuing a warranty claim if springs started to fail after a few years.  

In Malaysia we had an Omazz Falcohn which was very comfortable and, one of the most importance things to me, there was no disturbance if one partner gets up in the night for whatever reason.  Still can't decide on what might be better on that front, I thought the pocket springs would be better in that regard but, as we had no issues with the Omazz, I'd rather go for the latex option I think as opposed to the (prone to fail?) spring options.

I too have have found wildly differing prices for the Ecstasy and found the lowest so far at Shopee for 46K so I've mailed Dunlopillo with a screenshot as the opening play to negotiations.  Will see how it goes.

56 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Old thread now but still relevant.  We are also in the market for a new mattress and, like TGJ I'm also looking at the Dunlopillo Ecstasy.  Had a stroll round both Home Pro and Central after doing some initial internet searches and also came the conclusion that the RRP of mattresses supposedly on 'sale' are wildly over-inflated, such as to bring the sale price down to a still overly-inflated sale price.  I guess they do it here because they can get away with it and there's always some sucker that will swallow it I guess.

We've swung back and forth a few times between pocket spring or latex, in some ways preferring the former for the supposedly better ventilation, but my wife is dead against springs of any sort, on the basis that regardless of how many there are or how well isolated they are they are, they are STILL springs.  I'd imagine you'd have great luck in pursuing a warranty claim if springs started to fail after a few years.  

In Malaysia we had an Omazz Falcohn which was very comfortable and, one of the most importance things to me, there was no disturbance if one partner gets up in the night for whatever reason.  Still can't decide on what might be better on that front, I thought the pocket springs would be better in that regard but, as we had no issues with the Omazz, I'd rather go for the latex option I think as opposed to the (prone to fail?) spring options.

I too have have found wildly differing prices for the Ecstasy and found the lowest so far at Shopee for 46K so I've mailed Dunlopillo with a screenshot as the opening play to negotiations.  Will see how it goes.

Before you buy an Ecstasy, why not first try a Hästens?

Might I suggest the Maranga, which is the epitome of cloud-like comfort.

No need to go for the Eala, which is overkill, in my opinion.

4 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Before you buy an Ecstasy, why not first try a Hästens?

Might I suggest the Maranga, which is the epitome of cloud-like comfort.

No need to go for the Eala, which is overkill, in my opinion.

Happy enough to check them out but never come across anywhere that sells the brand, not turned up anything following, albeit cursory, searching either?  Where are they sold in Thailand?

That said, at a list price of $19,000 US I think I'll pass!  It actually seems like quite a flippant thread but with some, thankfully, serious, helpful and informative replies.

Edited by SooKee

8 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Happy enough to check them out but never come across anywhere that sells the brand, not turned up anything following, albeit cursory, searching either?  Where are they sold in Thailand?

That said, at a list price of $19,000 US I think I'll pass!

The springs are outsourced, in fact.

Probably the springs are made in China, one might think.

Maybe you might just sleep on the springs.