Very BEST mattress, from your own experience, available in Thailand, which skyrocketed you into the land of NOD. And, due to which, you awoke each morning...feeling Top of the World?

GammaGlobulin

My Dear Friends,

For many years, I have been in search of the perfect mattress for sleeping which is not to expensive and also available in Thailand.

I have slept on the wood floor.

I have slept on many things, in fact.

Rarely, here in Thailand, have I slept on a comfortable bed.

If you want to feel good in the morning, and if you want to awake refreshed and ready for your new day, then nothing can aide thee in this goal more than the perfect mattress.

I am SURE that I am not the only one here who is seeking the perfect mattress.  Or, if not perfection, yet I am seeking the best mattress available here in this land, one that can more easily send me into the land of NOD.

Strangely enough, this is not my usual idle topic.

This is SUPER important for our health, wellbeing and, especially our performance in life.

Please input useful information for all to see in the comments below.

You, My Friends, will have my everlasting appreciation if you can solve the riddle of the most perfect mattress in all of Thailand.

Regards,

GG

Note:  I am not one who is so sensitive as to feel a pea, even under a very thin topper.  However, I am tired of toppers and peas.  I just want to visit the Land of Nod, consistently, every night.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Many years ago, I stayed at a Marriot in Bkk and the bed was like floating on a cloud... I assume it was the topper as much as the mattress [or more] that made it so comfortable. I tried buying it from Marriot w/o much luck.. 

The difficulty of the question is that everyone likes a different feel and you can lie on a new mattress but not for a night... it is difficult to choose. 

• Like 1

Ours is a Lady Americana Dallas which we bought from Homepro about 3 years ago. It doesn't need a topper, we have just have a thin under quilt.

It's certainly the most comfortable mattress I've slept on for many a year and I have never had a hint of back ache since we bought it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

For many years, I have been in search of the perfect mattress for sleeping

There is no such thing as the perfect mattress!

There might be such thing as the perfect mattress for each individual, but it won't be the same for all of us.

I read a long test from experts in a foreign language about mattresses. It depends a lot on how you sleep (side, back, etc.). It depends on your weight, it depends on the climate (do you want a bed that keeps you warm or cool), and lots of different criteria.

If you found what is good for you at that time and that place that doesn't mean it's also good for anybody else at another time and another place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There is no such thing as the perfect mattress!

There might be such thing as the perfect mattress for each individual, but it won't be the same for all of us.

I read a long test from experts in a foreign language about mattresses. It depends a lot on how you sleep (side, back, etc.). It depends on your weight, it depends on the climate (do you want a bed that keeps you warm or cool), and lots of different criteria.

If you found what is good for you at that time and that place that doesn't mean it's also good for anybody else at another time and another place.

((Sorry, I just meant to say that I realize that those from different cultures prefer different sleeping situations, some harder than others, for example.  And, I presumed that this is what you meant when you mentioned that you were reading about mattresses in a foreign language, which is to say, reading about preferences for hardness, softness, etc., preferred in a different culture.))

Someone stated above that the Marriott's mattress was like sleeping on a cloud.  I must agree.  However, this type of mattress might not be suitable for another culture, or, any variety of different people within the same culture.

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Ours is a Lady Americana Dallas which we bought from Homepro about 3 years ago. It doesn't need a topper, we have just have a thin under quilt.

It's certainly the most comfortable mattress I've slept on for many a year and I have never had a hint of back ache since we bought it. 

Thank you for this!

I will test it.

Thanks, again!

Note:  Please also consider, My Friends, that the REASON this question, posed in the OP, is indubitably NOT an idle question is the fact that ALL major hotel chains, and cruise ship companies, for example, are paying a LOT of money to answer just this question.

If you knew the answer to this question, then you might be able to sell your knowledge somewhere, for big bucks.

The question is...how to make guests feel like they are sleeping on a cloud, every night.

And how, thusly, to keep guests coming back for more.

As for me, at this micro level, I am just trying to solve my mattress problem at a fairly low cost.

This is the reason for this post.

And, the reason I posted it here in the Pub is because I DO know that the people here are smarter than most about all things Thailand.

Otherwise, they would not be here.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

((Sorry, I just meant to say that I realize that those from different cultures prefer different sleeping situations, some harder than others, for example.  And, I presumed that this is what you meant when you mentioned that you were reading about mattresses in a foreign language, which is to say, reading about preferences for hardness, softness, etc., preferred in a different culture.))

Someone stated above that the Marriott's mattress was like sleeping on a cloud.  I must agree.  However, this type of mattress might not be suitable for another culture, or, any variety of different people within the same culture.

Is it now a question of culture if you sleep on the side or on the back? 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Many years ago, I stayed at a Marriot in Bkk and the bed was like floating on a cloud... I assume it was the topper as much as the mattress [or more] that made it so comfortable. I tried buying it from Marriot w/o much luck.. 

The difficulty of the question is that everyone likes a different feel and you can lie on a new mattress but not for a night... it is difficult to choose. 

You can actually order the Marriott bed, well mattress. It is so famously comfortable that they actually sell it.

https://europe.shopmarriott.com/en/the-marriott-bed?___store=mareu_en

According to gthis you can even  buy it on Amazon: https://www.sleepline.com/marriott-hotel-mattress-review/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, david555 said:

Yep....! ???? after 2 years of "Thai torture mattresses " i found mine in Home pro a Latex Dunloppilo Experience...... , i felt like sleeping on a cloud .... now already 10 years + no topper needed as soft surface as a real angels cloud"

I see their Experience model listed in the Dun catalog I just got. Their king is listed at 43,000 on sale, though presumably it can be had for considerably less. It's listed in their "Ultra Firm" category, but is listed as having "soft" foam layers, whereas the Ecstasy model we're getting is also classed as "Ultra Firm," but their catalog says it has "medium" foam layers. They list the Experience as 8.5 inches deep, while the Ectasy is listed as 10.5 inches deep.

I sure hope I get a good 10+ years out of ours.... ????

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, phetphet said:

You can actually order the Marriott bed, well mattress. It is so famously comfortable that they actually sell it.

According to gthis you can even  buy it on Amazon: https://www.sleepline.com/marriott-hotel-mattress-review/

Gonna be kind of tough and or expensive getting such a thing delivered to Thailand, no?

29 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Thanks - If I remember correctly, they sent me in a loop - Marriot Bkk telling me to order in USA and they would not ship it and told me to order through Bkk... 

I gave up after a while...  maybe I should try again? 

Here's the latex mattress emissions issue I alluded to above.... All I know on this subject is what I read in this news report, which seemed to focus on Thailand produced latex mattresses as opposed to ones imported from the west:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2018/06/356_250111.html

"A deadly level of radiation has been detected from anion-contained latex products sold in a number of tourist destinations in Thailand, including Phuket, Krabi, Bangkok and Pattaya, according to industry sources.

Those products were found to include monazite powder. Monazite is an ore containing radioactive thorium to boost the anion production _ but it can raise levels of radon emitted. This, in a worst case scenario, could cause elevated risks for cancer.

"I would say 95 percent of the anion latex products sold here are made with monazite. Monazite is a cheap mineral that has a large amount of anions. It generates a massive amount of radiation at the same," said an industry insider on the condition of anonymity during an interview with The Korea Times. "There are other substances that generate anions. But monazite is the cheapest material that leaves a big margin for retailers."

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Here's the latex mattress emissions issue I alluded to above.... All I know on this subject is what I read in this news report, which seemed to focus on Thailand produced latex mattresses as opposed to ones imported from the west:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2018/06/356_250111.html

"A deadly level of radiation has been detected from anion-contained latex products sold in a number of tourist destinations in Thailand, including Phuket, Krabi, Bangkok and Pattaya, according to industry sources.

Those products were found to include monazite powder. Monazite is an ore containing radioactive thorium to boost the anion production _ but it can raise levels of radon emitted. This, in a worst case scenario, could cause elevated risks for cancer.

"I would say 95 percent of the anion latex products sold here are made with monazite. Monazite is a cheap mineral that has a large amount of anions. It generates a massive amount of radiation at the same," said an industry insider on the condition of anonymity during an interview with The Korea Times. "There are other substances that generate anions. But monazite is the cheapest material that leaves a big margin for retailers."

Been sleeping on a high end latex mattress for the past 15 years. It is a Dunlopillow. If it gives me cancer, it was worth it! Best mattress I have ever experienced. Like sleeping on a cloud. 

Some will claim anything will kill you. This will hurt you, this will kill you. Blah, blah, blah. I stopped listening to much of the extremist nonsense a long time ago. Peace of mind is a beautiful thing. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThLT said:

Sleeping on a hard mattress is actually healthier for your back. A soft mattress bends your back in many different shapes, from "sinking" in the mattress. 

Do you have any evidence-based reason for believing this?

Alternatively, the most comfortable mattress might improve your state of happiness, which might prolong your life.

I have no evidence to prove whether a hard mattress or a soft mattress might lead to longer life, or better health.

However, a comfortable mattress is, by definition, comfortable.

And, who doesn't like comfort during the 6 to 8 hours of our day we spend sleeping? 

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Been sleeping on a high end latex mattress for the past 15 years. It is a Dunlopillow.

As I mentioned in my prior post, Dunlopillo (the brand I just brought) claims to source their latex from the U.K., so the Korea Times article that discussed Thai made latex presumably would not be an issue for latex mattresses made in the UK.

Go to Central Department store take a look at the top of range Sealy. The springs are US made and mattress constructed in Asia somewhere. Mine is Firm with a  top. With matching Sealy bed platform and head-booard  to support,  in a deep brown faux leather very stylish.

Best sleep ever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mattresses really MATTER to me.

And here is why:

I have lived most of my life in the East, sleeping unsoundly, due to culturally related incongruity, and the odd sleeping norms I have tolerated west of the international date line.  For example, here in Thailand, the head of the bed is positioned up close to the window. And, in the west, we stick our headboard against a wall. Each to his or her own.

aa.  In Japan, you can't find a good mattress, unless you check into a high-end hotel which caters to westerners.

bb.  In most parts of East Asia, and even in Thailand, mattresses, and even pillows, are filled with beans, instead of feathers. Sometimes, everything is filled with buckwheat hulls, for example.  Other times, the mattress is covered in vinyl plastic, and hard as a baseball covered in pigskin.

cc. About 20 years ago, I spent eight years sleeping on a 4x8 plywood sheet, 3/4 inch in thickness, with just a bedsheet below me.  Sleeping on plywood will teach you the meaning of stoicism, after a year or two.

dd.  A premium mattress is something that most of the world does not have, and thusly cannot appreciate. Same with the lack of appreciation of toilets in some countries.

ee.  Still, sleeping on a plywood plank for several years, on the farthest point east of the eastern coast of Formosa, is something you cannot experience on any mattress at the Marriott.

Several years on laminated wooden board is enough for any lifetime.

Time now for the luxury of a well-designed western style mattress.

Young bones can sleep on a wood plank, and think nothing of it.

Old bones cannot.

Just my humble opinion, after much experience.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As I mentioned in my prior post, Dunlopillo (the brand I just brought) claims to source their latex from the U.K., so the Korea Times article that discussed Thai made latex presumably would not be an issue for latex mattresses made in the UK.

Great. The high end of the line are really superb mattresses. Highly recommended. 

• Like 1

One more option might be the feather bed.

"For decades, maybe centuries, feather beds were treasured by families in the rural south and elsewhere. They are mentioned as bequests in wills like land, farm animals and valued furniture. Their worth is clear to anyone whoever slept in a typical high-ceilinged house during a very cold night while “bogged up” in a feather bed and a stack of quilts."

I imagine that a real feather bed cannot be had here in Thailand.

However, I would buy one if I could find one.

I have PLENTY of AC power for a very small room... about 36,000 BTU.  I can get the temperature down to about 18 degrees in the Hot Season. (even colder than Seven)

And so, a feather bed would be something to consider, and a bit of luxury, even.

Edited by GammaGlobulin