Do you ever wish that you'd kept a diary/ journal?

giddyup

9 hours ago, giddyup said:

I don't need to hear from half baked gurus as to how to live my life. If I wanted to learn meditation techniques there's a hundred to choose from on YouTube.

Go back and read his post.

He discussed techniques he used to recall past events as he did NOT keep a journal.

Totally on topic - but nevermind, being closed anyway

My life is boring so there is nothing to remember really.  Unless you want to hear about I went to the coffee shop around noon, I asked for milk in my coffee but it was sour.  

• 8 months later...

Here is another topic which deserves a bit more thought, maybe.

This poster is now 80, I would imagine.

Maybe he wrote this post, way back in 2021, when he was 79, and now he is 80.

There are two types of people, those who love nostalgia and those who do not.

I do not, simply because I do not wish to be reminded of my past.

In my case, I have spent most of my life sending letters, telexes, faxes, and now emails, long emails, from Asia back home to my family.

I have been told that most of my letters and faxes and telexes were saved, even though this was not at my request, nor to my liking, at any time.

I have no idea what will become of the millions of words I sent home during past years.

I only know that I have written very long letters and faxes home, which is only something I felt that I had to do, if I could not be there in person.

I have never kept a diary, just as the OP stated he never did.

Yet, unintentionally, a diary has been kept for me, just due to the letters I have sent over many years.

Would I ever read these letters I sent?

NO!

NEVER!

I never read what I write because whatever I write, after it has been written, disgusts me.

This is why there is no point in my keeping a diary.

I am sure others feel exactly as I do about this subject of reading what we have written, and about keeping a diary.

In a perfect world, we all would have enough money to hire a biographer and a photographer to document our lives, day by day, and blow by blow.

But then, would any one of us have the guts to look at such a documentary of our own lives, I shudder to think of being forced to review my own personal history.

Someday soon, we will have the technology to document our lives from beginning to end in 3D video with perfect sound, and all transcribed into one HUGE book using a simple app using voice recognition technology, which is now in its infancy.

The question is:  If your life's diary could be kept for free, and if it were almost 100% accurate, then would you even have time to watch your life's diary while you were living your life?

In other words, would you have time to watch yourself watching your diary while you were also living your life.

And then, if you had the time to do this, then would you have the time to watch yourself watching your diary, while your diary was being updated, and then watching that, too?

image.jpeg.72d32c29107701ec0a8a0305f4584d37.jpeg

I will never read my diary which was caught using letters, telexes, faxes, and now, emails.

There is just too much there to read, and ccrapp I would never read.

Or, if I were to stop my life now, and then just shut myself up in a box, with no external stimulation from outside the box, then, and only then, might I have time to read my diary.

So, to the poster who posted this topic, I would say....  Do not fret about what you did not write in your nonexistent diary.

Just do your best to enjoy what is left of your life, undocumented, from now until there is no more to write about.

Don't get spooked by the ephemerality of biology, and the human lifespan.

And, always keep in mind that, it's NOT just you.  Because, there is ALWAYS the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, which is to say, ENTROPY, and that, no matter how much you might write in a diary, eventually, the diary will turn to nothingness.

Even your first love that you might have written about in your diary...will...in the end...mean nothing to you.

Diaries are just sound and fury, signifying nothing, in the end, and in consideration of what we know about Entropy.

So, instead, just listen to Hendrix.

And, wave on,

Wave on,

While you still,

Can....

Dig?

• Like 1