Do you ever wish that you'd kept a diary/ journal?

giddyup

Journaling is a wonderful tool to stay in the present more often.  Coconsciously ( being present ) jotting down your thoughts on the prior day or whatever is perfectly in harmony with living in the "now" which seems to be a new fad ???? and a nice endeavor.  It also helps you measure your growth or progress in whatever you are trying to improve upon. 

In a spreadsheet, I usually jot down 50-100 non judgmental words and then rate how I did on a list of 2 to 5 things that I want to improve upon.  This works for me and no clue why. Maybe because I never beat myself up and simply rate and move on. I always improve and it seems without effort. For example: spending quality time with my partner, living without worry, meditate...  Takes a few minutes each morning and not stressed if I skip it but I probably make 6 entries a week.

If I'm like most, it rarely gets read.  I can't remember going back in the last 5 years to relive memories.  I have read about my first traveling adventures 30 years ago but only a few time over 30 years.  I was a goofy young man and when I do look back it usually brings a smile.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

In 1998 when i backpacked round the world I didn't bother taking photos after the first month, instead wanted to remember it, but of course years and years later memories fade. I couldn't be bothered with a journal but more photos would have been good although have a down side

If you tell the stories, they become so much better than what you might write down at the time.  You need to tell the stories early and often (like voting) so that you remember them, rather than relying on ancient recollections.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But if these guys would have spend maybe an hour or two thinking about their past mistakes then maybe they wouldn't do the same mistakes again and again.

You have to think about your mistakes ?

If you did not learn from the first time you did it there is no hope for you.

"Fool me Once, Shame on You. Fool me Twice, Shame on Me"

Make the same one more than once you are a Fidiot

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seedy said:

You have to think about your mistakes ?

If you did not learn from the first time you did it there is no hope for you.

"Fool me Once, Shame on You. Fool me Twice, Shame on Me"

Make the same one more than once you are a Fidiot

Some mistakes are obvious. But then we shouldn't have done those obvious mistakes at all.

But there are lots of other mistakes which are only clearly seen as mistakes in the hindsight. Like: where did it go wrong?

I think a perfect example is when farangs have this idea to share all decisions with their Thai darling. After all, we all have the same rights and we should make decisions together and all that. And then sometime later, sometimes years later, they discover that the only person in their relationship who makes decisions is the darling - that once sweet girl who he though should be integrated in the decision making. And after years it's almost impossible to reverse such a situation. Solution: a new darling. A nice girl, and because she is so nice we should make decisions only together with her... 

• Confused 1

You are very correct.

This is a good topic, too.

Maintaining a diary requires diligence.

You speak of REGRETS for not keeping a diary.

And, sometimes, 40 million people will read your diary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diary_of_a_Young_Girl

What an amazing young lady, that she kept a diary for the world to read.

Take care!

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But there are lots of other mistakes which are only clearly seen as mistakes in the hindsight. Like: where did it go wrong?

Going back and picking thru your life with a fine tooth comb is a complete and utter waste of time.

"Oh Why Me" - wring your hands and Cry !!! 555

Get Over It - Get On With It

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think a perfect example is when farangs have this idea to share all decisions with their Thai darling. After all, we all have the same rights and we should make decisions together and all that. And then sometime later, sometimes years later, they discover that the only person in their relationship who makes decisions is the darling - that once sweet girl who he though should be integrated in the decision making. And after years it's almost impossible to reverse such a situation. Solution: a new darling. A nice girl, and because she is so nice we should make decisions only together with her... 

If she paid for 50% (or more) of everything, fair enough.

But as it's 100% my money, I make 100% of all decisions.

As for Google tracking my every movement ........

When accused or wrongdoing, you can just say "Google says I wasn't there!"

Same with accusations of domestic wrongdoing, in the near future, "Google recorded the conversation, and says I'm innocent"

It'll be the end of 'he said, she said' convictions, as Google will have been there too!

Edited by BritManToo

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If she paid for 50% (or more) of everything, fair enough.

But as it's 100% my money, I make 100% of all decisions.

As for Google tracking my every movement ........

When accused or wrongdoing, you can just say "Google says I wasn't there!"

So, to put my Nice Guy or Political Correct hat on, doesn't the fact that she does things for you give her some bargaining power - even if sex. Surely she works hard for her money so that gives her rights to help decide on - best school, how to bring up kid, food to buy, what movie to see etc

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

So, to put my Nice Guy or Political Correct hat on, doesn't the fact that she does things for you give her some bargaining power - even if sex. Surely she works hard for her money so that gives her rights to help decide on - best school, how to bring up kid, food to buy, what movie to see etc

Do you let your hired servants take part in households decisions?

Should a woman who didn't attend high school be allowed to choose your kids high school?

Should a woman who abandoned her kids in the village with grandma be allowed to play any part in your kids upbringing?

In fact, should a woman who's career choice was to have sex with random guys for money be allowed any say in any decision?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, giddyup said:

Do you honestly think you can remember everything you've ever experienced? You really must have a phenomenal memory.

I kept a diary for the academic year 1979-1980 during that Sabbatical Year of study and travel but since the advent of computers, the calendar entries have served as reminders of events and can be easily be referred to by during key word searches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

In fact, should a woman who's career choice was to have sex with random guys for money be allowed any say in any decision?

If a guy marries such a woman, then the answer is yes.

If he hires her for her services per hour or day or month or year then the answer is no.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If a guy marries such a woman, then the answer is yes.

If he hires her for her services per hour or day or month or year then the answer is no.

I thought we were talking about our 'Thai darlings'.

This is the first time you've mentioned marriage.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Should a woman who didn't attend high school be allowed to choose your kids high school?

Should a woman who abandoned her kids in the village with grandma be allowed to play any part in your kids upbringing?

I gave it a smilie face when you just had the first line only but that stuff you added later is a bit depressing. If you did have kids with her then..I guess.. she does have a say.

I kept a diary as a teenager and young adult. Peak of my dating. Includes a day to day account of a trip with my girlfriend on a first trip to Thailand and Myanmar. Haven't looked in decades. 

I remember details of the 80's better than I remember the 10's. Probably because stuff is changing more then while in the 10's it's a bit same same.   

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Why do you keep bringing women into the post? It has nothing to do with that, it's about keeping a diary or journal? I thought the title of the post made that pretty clear.

18 hours ago, giddyup said:

Do you honestly think you can remember everything you've ever experienced? You really must have a phenomenal memory.

Ahh ... if you keep a diary and enter daily then having a phenomenal memory is not necessary as the events are fresh and ready to be expressed reflectively and meditatively through the pen onto paper. That's one of the prime reasons people keep diaries; As a means to express, process, and digest daily experiences.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

In 1998 when i backpacked round the world I didn't bother taking photos after the first month, instead wanted to remember it, but of course years and years later memories fade. I couldn't be bothered with a journal but more photos would have been good although have a down side

I did the rtw trip in 1974 and in one year took 8 photos and 5 were of the Taj Mahal... it was not a digital world back then and developing photos were expensive... and most were not worth it... 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, giddyup said:

no, but you can choose to remember the important stuff by not filling your head with unimportant cr4p....
also pondering on memories will help retian them

15 hours ago, atpeace said:

Journaling is a wonderful tool to stay in the present more often.  Coconsciously ( being present ) jotting down your thoughts on the prior day or whatever is perfectly in harmony with living in the "now" which seems to be a new fad ???? and a nice endeavor.  It also helps you measure your growth or progress in whatever you are trying to improve upon. 

In a spreadsheet, I usually jot down 50-100 non judgmental words and then rate how I did on a list of 2 to 5 things that I want to improve upon.  This works for me and no clue why. Maybe because I never beat myself up and simply rate and move on. I always improve and it seems without effort. For example: spending quality time with my partner, living without worry, meditate...  Takes a few minutes each morning and not stressed if I skip it but I probably make 6 entries a week.

If I'm like most, it rarely gets read.  I can't remember going back in the last 5 years to relive memories.  I have read about my first traveling adventures 30 years ago but only a few time over 30 years.  I was a goofy young man and when I do look back it usually brings a smile.

Did for years my friend. Learnt to do this as part of my training. Daily writing as a participant in contact with patients/clients was a form of diary writing, as well as a parallel clinical diary with more of my own processes was a rich experience.

I would say to you there is no time like now to write if there is energy within you wanting to express itself. 'Regret' or a sense of loss at not doing so may be your inner self asking you to do just that; write.

Diarising is not just about factual events and a perfect chronological recalling. It is an exploration, a meandering through, along the landscape  of our inner world, not unlike someone wandering through a garden partly and yet somewhat unknown and experiencing whatever the garden attracts us to observe, feel and think about.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, patman30 said:

no, but you can choose to remember the important stuff by not filling your head with unimportant cr4p....
also pondering on memories will help retian them

You are missing the point entirely. Recollecting an event won't be the same as how you felt about it at the time. Memories aren't infallible, they change with time. A journal also gives you an insight into the kind of person you were, 30 or 40 or more years ago.

Where would one keep all of the diaries/ journals ?

There would be a Shed full of them if one wrote everything down.

Nah, It is what it is . Living today and in the future that's enough for me .

There are things in ones live that one wouldn't want to remember ( in my past there's some)  My Exes  Gf's and Wifes for starters and some events + things that happened to me  and friends. There are too many things that happen in ones life that are not really important.

18 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Where would one keep all of the diaries/ journals ?

There would be a Shed full of them if one wrote everything down.

Nah, It is what it is . Living today and in the future that's enough for me .

There are things in ones live that one wouldn't want to remember ( in my past there's some)  My Exes  Gf's and Wifes for starters and some events + things that happened to me  and friends. There are too many things that happen in ones life that are not really important.

Then you only write the important details down, not what you had for breakfast, then your journal would be considerably shorter.