Do you ever wish that you'd kept a diary/ journal?

giddyup

Maybe some of you have, but I never did and it's something I regret, especially as I'm fast approaching the big eight-0. I've lived a full and varied life, with a lot of travelling, and a few serious relationships to spice things up, but it would have been nice to be able to read my feelings and thoughts at any given time, as my memories are growing fainter with each passing year. Would a journal have been a good thing to refresh these memories?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In 1998 when i backpacked round the world I didn't bother taking photos after the first month, instead wanted to remember it, but of course years and years later memories fade. I couldn't be bothered with a journal but more photos would have been good although have a down side

Edited by scubascuba3

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

In 1998 when i backpacked round the world I didn't bother taking photos after the first month, instead wanted to remember it, but of course years and years later memories fade. I couldn't be bothered with a journal but more photos would have been good although have a down side

Fortunately I did take a lot of photos through the years, all in several albums back in Australia, but I still wish I'd kept more of a detailed written record of my travels.

• Like 1

Never even entered my head, but now later in life, absol,utely! Wish I had the idea and discipline to keep it up over the years.I think I would have enjouyed the trips down memory lane and mentally reliving them( and some not so much).

Yes I can remember a fair bit, but  not the finer detail and little dthings a journal would have held.

• Like 1

I never kept a diary. But a couple of years ago I made an Excel file with a line for each year in my life. And I update that from time to time.

In the columns I put information like what I did at that time like school, which work at which company. Other columns contained names of friends, which vehicle I had. It also included which mobile phone I had, which music I liked at that time, samples of movies which I watched and things like that.

I.e. when I moved to Thailand I heard constantly the song That's Why You Go Away from Michael Learns To Rock.

Or some time before that I loved the movie La Boum. Those things help me to remember certain times of my life.

• Like 1

And then there is Google Timeline

https://timeline.google.com/

It shows many of us for the last couple of years exactly where we were at which day and time. Scary.

And in case someone suggest to turn off that service. I thought about that. But what do I really turn off? Does Google stop recording my activities? Or is it just that when I turn it off that I don't see anymore what I did but Google still knows it...

• Like 2

Journals are highly private & emotional, my brother kept one and wrote in it every day, when he died from COVID-19 just under a year ago my sister grabbed all six volumes, she needed to keep them from his 2 sons who were only interested in what money they could get their hands on.

She threw them on a bonfire without reading even 1 article making sure they were completely destroyed, nearly a year later they still haven't collected his ashes from the crematorium, but they made sure that one bought a new car & the other a hefty deposit for a house.

I won't bother thanks.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Golden Triangle said:

Journals are highly private & emotional, my brother kept one and wrote in it every day, when he died from COVID-19 just under a year ago my sister grabbed all six volumes, she needed to keep them from his 2 sons who were only interested in what money they could get their hands on.

She threw them on a bonfire without reading even 1 article making sure they were completely destroyed, nearly a year later they still haven't collected his ashes from the crematorium, but they made sure that one bought a new car & the other a hefty deposit for a house.

I won't bother thanks.

I expect all my photo albums to go in a bonfire as well. They wouldn't interest anyone but me, and it was probably the same with your brothers journals.

1 minute ago, seedy said:

“If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.”

― Lao Tzu

I'm not talking about living in the past, but referring to it to refresh a memory. Or are we supposed to erase our memories the second they become the past?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

she needed to keep them from his 2 sons who were only interested in what money they could get their hands on

Why did she have to keep them away from the diaries? Did she think he buried money somewhere and described it in his diaries?

Maybe the diaries would have been interesting for the sons. I think it's not nice that the sister did what she did. But that's only my humble opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, seedy said:

“If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.”

― Lao Tzu

Especially in Thailand there seem to be lots of guys who fail again and again with the same type of girlfriend. And then they say things like: All women are bad. They always do x and y.

But if these guys would have spend maybe an hour or two thinking about their past mistakes then maybe they wouldn't do the same mistakes again and again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Especially in Thailand there seem to be lots of guys who fail again and again with the same type of girlfriend. And then they say things like: All women are bad. They always do x and y.

But if these guys would have spend maybe an hour or two thinking about their past mistakes then maybe they wouldn't do the same mistakes again and again.

Isn't that supposed to be a sign of insanity, keep repeating the same mistakes, but expecting a different outcome each time.

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why did she have to keep them away from the diaries? Did she think he buried money somewhere and described it in his diaries?

Maybe the diaries would have been interesting for the sons. I think it's not nice that the sister did what she did. But that's only my humble opinion. 

Mainly because he knew that they were 2 money grabbing little sh!tes, he knew that, when he visited us a couple of times we would discuss it late at night, he knew what they were upto, he wanted to spend his money before he died, unfortunately he didn't get the timing right, he also had similar conversations with my sister as they only lived around the corner from each other.

You can't win them all unfortunately.

44 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Mainly because he knew that they were 2 money grabbing little sh!tes, he knew that, when he visited us a couple of times we would discuss it late at night, he knew what they were upto, he wanted to spend his money before he died, unfortunately he didn't get the timing right, he also had similar conversations with my sister as they only lived around the corner from each other.

You can't win them all unfortunately.

Thanks for the follow up. That explains why it happened and not just that she decided that that is the way to do it. Much better.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I enjoy the bad women.

Wouldn't choose any other kind.

I don't believe all women are bad, just the ones I sleep with.

That doesn't mean I have to give them open access to my wallet.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I enjoy the bad women.

Wouldn't choose any other kind.

I don't believe all women are bad, just the ones I sleep with.

That doesn't mean I have to give them open access to my wallet.

You're a bit off topic here.

• Haha 1