Hypoallergenic dog food (skin problem) - Any recomendations?

Crossy

One of our two barkers has has skin problems over a couple of months. He's had assorted anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-histamine pills from the vet which have helped a lot (they have also helped to reduce my bank balance ???? ).

Madam also read that Gentian Violet is good for skin issues so we now have a bright purple chihuahua! It does actually seem to be helping too, I brushed him this morning and very little fur came out, a couple of weeks back he would be dropping great clumps. Being purple does not seem to be affecting him mentally, he's just as crazy as he always was :whistling:

The vet thinks it might be an allergy to something in his food (they like the Pedigree small-dog) as his sister who shares the same bed etc. isn't affected so it's probably not something transmissable.

There are loads of foods that purport to help with skin issues, some are $$$ others less so. Before I shell my hard earned wonga does anyone have any advice / experience / warnings?

The easy , but expensive, way is to feed prescription diets like Hills ZD or Royal Canin Hypoallergenic - they can help (not cure) food allergy related skin issues. Sometimes the palatability of these foods can be low - and spoilt little mutts will say no way Jose.

Alternatively, you can prepare a basic home made boiled chicken & rice meal - which will taste better , and often reduces flare ups. The problem is often that the dermatitis is multifactorial, and is seldom only food related. Dogs prone to allergies often react to many things - inhaled allergens, contact allergens, parasites etc - so the food is often only part of the issue. Do some research on "atopic" dogs.

My suggestion - try some ZD for a month & see if things improve..  Good luck!

• Like 2

Ongoing problem with our 8 year old Thai 57. She has had genetic mange since birth and at times had hardly any hair, much improved nowadays. Had all the meds you described, Now just anti itching and a quarter of the the original recommended dose when required for a few days.

Diet of brown rice mixed with Hills science diet seems to work reasonably well for her.

• Like 1

Had a Staffie that had skin issues.  The vet told me I could spend a fortune on creams and pills.  His recommendation was to stop feeding him any form of processed food and leftovers of any kind. and only feed raw or cooked meat.

It did work and the frequency of outbreaks became more scarce. 

Trouble was that Staffies are food-sluts so got a bit expensive, he could wolf down a kilo of raw beef before you could close the fridge door.

• Like 1

Put him on a homemade diet of chicken and potatoes. (Boil a chicken carcass to make stock, then add some diced chicken and potatoes for the last 20minutes so they cook in the stock). It's very rich so they only need small portions. It can be frozen once it's cooked

Try that for a couple of weeks. If it doesn't help switch out the chicken for fish. If that doesn't help, switch out the potatoes for rice.

Once you know what is triggering it, you can start adding other ingredients one at a time until you know what he can and can't tolerate. Then look for a commercial food that fits his needs.

Are you sure nothing in the environment is exacerbating it! Laundry detergent or softener on blankets or your clothes. Detergents on the floor where he lies. Insect sprays or treatments on grass etc he walks through. Anything that regularly comes into contact with his skin

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Put him on a homemade diet of chicken and potatoes. (Boil a chicken carcass to make stock, then add some diced chicken and potatoes for the last 20minutes so they cook in the stock). It's very rich so they only need small portions. It can be frozen once it's cooked

My wife does that for ME sometimes! :whistling:

• Haha 1