Thai AirAsia announces mass layoff

webfact

257418468_10158363631117050_7172312634816077115_n.jpg

Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, Thai AirAsia has announced a mass layoff and furlough extension, despite Thailand’s official reopening of borders on November 1.

According to Tassapon Bijleveld, executive chairman of Asia Aviation (AAV), the announcement made to the airline’s employees explained the company’s hardships and struggles during the pandemic, forcing it to scale down its fleet size and workforce, so as to keep the company afloat.

Mr Tassapon said due to the Covid crisis, Thai AirAsia had to maintain furloughs and pay cuts, and would assess the situation every two months and would gradually remove the cuts when its financial situation improves.

He added the airline had already reached the lowest point which was in the third quarter, and it estimated that domestic flights should fully recover by mid-2022, while international flights would gradually resume.

The best-case scenario for the airline is that 50% of international flights resume by the end of next year.

According to the announcement, the airline is deciding on the number of employees to be laid off and will make an official announcement next week. The company is also offering an early retirement program.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Source: https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158363631052050

NBTlo.jpg
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, grain said:

Well if they're having a mass layoff I guess there's no chance of them ever giving me refunds for the 4 airline tickets I have for flights they cancelled in 2020.

I think you know the answer to that..............?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, grain said:

Well if they're having a mass layoff I guess there's no chance of them ever giving me refunds for the 4 airline tickets I have for flights they cancelled in 2020.

Console yourself by bumping into a "Trolley Dolly" on a street corner soon.

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

I finally got mine back after alot of emails, twitter chat and pressure.  I will be very wary paying any hotel or airfare up front from now on.   

There is no such thing as trust. 

And the credit option. I have a large credit, but given their announcement today (which I'm guessing means their cash situation/ability to sustain the business) is very weak, will they allow me to use my credit?

Hoping for a Bkk to Chiang Mai flight late afternoon on 10 December. I'll wait until I get my 1 day hotel stay/negative report them book AA for flight late same day, if I can use my credit.

If they cancel the flight late the same day at least I haven't lost more cash.

If AA won't allow mw to use my credit I'm thinking ThaiSmile.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The best-case scenario for the airline is that 50% of international flights resume by the end of next year.

Says a lot, doesn't it, together with international airlines giving back 80% of their slots for the next several months. TAT can say all it likes but, as we all know, it is all hot air from them.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, steven100 said:

I finally got mine back after alot of emails, twitter chat and pressure.  I will be very wary paying any hotel or airfare up front from now on.   

There is no such thing as trust. 

Pay as you enter the plane now ? 

Pressure , umm not sure what pressure you are able to apply 

57 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And the credit option. I have a large credit, but given their announcement today (which I'm guessing means their cash situation/ability to sustain the business) is very weak, will they allow me to use my credit?

Hoping for a Bkk to Chiang Mai flight late afternoon on 10 December. I'll wait until I get my 1 day hotel stay/negative report them book AA for flight late same day, if I can use my credit.

If they cancel the flight late the same day at least I haven't lost more cash.

If AA won't allow mw to use my credit I'm thinking ThaiSmile.

Just pay a bit more a get a damn Thai smile or Nok air confirmed flight ...   won't buy unless it's a confirmed booking & flight.  They messed me around last time because it was a Flight + hotel booking so each tries to pass the buck .... They didn't pass the buck after I contacted the top boss and threatened legal action.

• Like 1