Japanese tourist found dead on Koh Tao 17 years ago was not murdered: police

Jonathan Fairfield

Do yourself a favor and never visit this island of plague, death, and horror. I have sworn it off, after having visited it at least five or six times in the past. I will never return. I do not want to support the five criminal families, who run this island. This place is as dark as anyplace in SE Asia. Avoid it. Deny it. Stay away, for your own good.

Never believe the Tao police. Ever. Their reputations are tarnished beyond repair, as it is obvious they have let the serial killer Namsod ply his trade there for years. It is also obvious that certain Tao families are way above the law. Something does not pass the smell test here. This island stinks. 

• Thanks 2

Explaining for a friend.  How he gave up on Thai islands in the aughts. His story.

Koh Tao had a bad reputation, even back then, because of a motorcycle scam. You know the jet ski scam. Same thing with a motorcycle. It was so bad on Koh Tao, the rap was, it isn’t which cycle shops practice this extortion racket, it was which shops did not. Nothing that happened afterwards surprises him.

In the Andaman seas. Jill St. Onge, 27, of Seattle, Washington, and Julie Bergheim, 22, of Drammen, Norway, May 2009 deaths on Phi Phi island due to an unknown gas. Kudos to Canadian forensic medical team who proved it was aluminum phosphide used for Bed Bug extermination as the lethal agent. This in an examination of the Belanger sisters from Quebec’s remains.

After the aughts, it was Indonesian islands for beaching. BTW, he subscribes to that Facebook site “A Drink to Die From” about methanol poisoning in Indo.

• Thanks 1

Same story again. The Samui Times crowd and the "lawyer" making a lot of noise without any real facts or new evidence. Shout a lot and you might be heard seems to be their course of action. If you scream wolf too often people will not listen anymore when he really is around.... 

Do yourself a favour and focus your charitable efforts on something useful if you have nothing real to contribute.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Is Robblok a suspect or something? ????

Nah just don't lik B.S. 

I mean if you bring up a case bring some new facts and a name as deathisland is not really unbias. So when someone posts articles and vids you expect at least something new. I have no real love for the police on Koh Tao as they did a bad job on the case of the two UK backpackers.

However if you dispute a 17 year old case and you don't bring any translated newspaper articles or other things and then find inconsistencies and don't even know the date of the murder then your not someone who wants to investigate something your just someone out to cause damage without proof or even discrepencies.

He says no suicide note but how do we know ? I mean did he show some clippings from the time. No he bases all on what he heard about a murder 17 years ago from people who heard something and have lived there. I mean it was 17 years ago and the guy expects to get facts. Memory fades and without any newspaper articles about what the police did and did not do its all fake.

Add to that he has not even seen the police reports and he expects the police to report everything about the case to the media that is just crazy does not work that way in the West nor does it in Thailand.

All this vid was a clickbait where he says he did not have much information and asks for more without anything substatiated by him. Why don't people look at the vid, i mean the lack of evidence is telling.

For a lawyer he not that bright, maybe they have other standards in Australia or maybe he bought his diploma in Thailand (see how i can make accusations without any proof or investigation). That is basically what he did.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

From The Thaiger (and BP)

"Thai authorities respond by saying that the Facebook page is run by a group of foreigners led by an Australian lawyer whose purpose is to stir up controversy and damage Thailand’s reputation by speculating conspiracy theories about cases from the past."

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Koh Tao had a bad reputation, even back then, because of a motorcycle scam. You know the jet ski scam. Same thing with a motorcycle. It was so bad on Koh Tao, the rap was, it isn’t which cycle shops practice this extortion racket, it was which shops did not. Nothing that happened afterwards surprises him.

All of this based on the old motorbike scams?

This happens all across Thailand where there are tourists.

I have come across it in Phuket, Chiang Mai, KPN and even Hanoi. Yes the one in Vietnam.

And I never give my passport.

Hiroshi is another Japanese national who died on Koh Tao and whose death was covered-up by island locals and the Royal Thai Police.  He graduated as a DIVEMASTER and reacted badly to a SNORKEL TEST (a heavy duty drinking game) after which his stomach was pumped but too late to save his life.

On 11/22/2021 at 8:54 AM, Tropicalevo said:

All of this based on the old motorbike scams?

This happens all across Thailand where there are tourists.

Getting threatened by tooled up, wrench/pipe welding cycle shop cronies, for "damages" is typical?! Good thing I do not rent bikes anymore.  BTW planning for hot season on a beach; KP bottle beach, Krabi & Koh Lipe are being considered; Isla de la muerte, not so much.

• Thanks 1

Tribute to 佐沢義恵
YOSHIE SAZAWA (aka Sharlyn) in a memorial book - translated from Japanese to English. The memorial book also included some lyrics from the popular Japanese song "Nada Sosou" (Great Tears are Spilling). A link to a cover performed by singer Rimi Natsukawa 涙そうそう - 夏川りみ
19th August 1964 : On the year of Tokyo Olympics, Sharlyn was born in Tokyo, Shinjuku, Okubo Hospital as the first daughter of Sazawa Eiichi and Kiyoko. She lived with her family between the age of 3 and 8 in Malaysia, Sarawak State and went to Saint Mary Middle School in Kuching city. After she went back to Japan, she enrolled in Komaba Elementary School in Meguro.
March 1976: Graduated from Komaba Elementary School.
March 1979: Graduated from Komaba Junior High School.
August 1979: Went to United States, Kansas, a state in the Midwestern of the U.S. alone by herself. Sharlyn enrolled in Salina South High School for 3 years and never went back to Japan during that time.
July 1982: Graduated from Salina South High School. Friends of hers started calling her 'Sharlyn' from this time.
January 1989: The last year of The Showa Era, when medias around the world came together, Sharlyn had been hired as a translator by the broadcaster of CBS TV named "Nancy" and attended the interviews together. In the same year, NTT (joint company of Japan and America in Cincinnati) hired Sharlyn as an English translator and she worked there for four years.
1994: Sharlyn departed from the United States to Koh Tao (Tao island in Thailand, Koh means island). She started scuba diving for the first time and earned the license as an instructor. Since then, she had been working at "Big Blue Diving Center" as a pro instructor. She taught many young Japanese and foreign divers.
2003: Divers in Koh Tao had increased significantly and that affected the sea, coral and sea turtles so Sharlyn and her dog, Pringle, rode a bike together around the island to do volunteer jobs in order to help save the environment and animals.
25th June 2004: She passed away in Koh Tao, the beautiful island that is full of emotions. Her funeral was held in Bangkok on June 30, in the temple of Koh Tao on July 2, right after that her family embraced her body back to Japan. On July 31, Sharlyn's family held a Christian funeral for her in Ikebukuro, Tokyo. Shalyn rests peacefully near the Tokyo Dome baseball pitch. "Lots of Love" The Eternity of your dreams.
END
Note: It is believed that 25 June 2004 is the date that Sharlyn's body was found in the jungle. According to her friend Kawika, Sharlyn vanished on 18 June 2004 and was found on 25 June 2004. Multiple sources advise that Sharlyn was found outside in the jungle after disappearing for many days. Many also state that searches had been conducted for her. However, in November 2021 a Royal Thai Police major general issued a series of press releases stating (apparently falsely) that Sharlyn was found in her house and committed "suicide by stress" (being a Google translate term).
When Sharlyn moved to the USA to study, she did so at the invitation of her friend, Kristen Hanson and Kristen's parents, Sharon and David. She was therefore living with an American family during those school years. It seems that Sharlyn was already fluent in English prior to attending school in Salina, Kansas.
Lyrics from the song that appear in Japanese in the memorial book:
"As I turn pages in this old photo album, I whispered thank you
The one who always, always comforted me in my heart
On both shiny days and rainy days, the smile that comes into my mind
fades away in my memories,
but on the day I searched for a glimpse of that smile, I cried.
It became my new habit to wish upon the first star,
looking up into the evening sky I looked for you with all my heart
in the sadness or in joy, that smile that I think of,
If you can see me from where you are,
I'll continue to live with the faith that someday we will be able to meet again."
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2021 at 6:56 PM, Ian Yarwood said:

Hiroshi is another Japanese national who died on Koh Tao and whose death was covered-up by island locals and the Royal Thai Police.  He graduated as a DIVEMASTER and reacted badly to a SNORKEL TEST (a heavy duty drinking game) after which his stomach was pumped but too late to save his life.

I did that snorkel test in koh Tao, probably same place "Safety Stop" with Big Blue got a photo somewhere. Plenty of divemasters pass through there so yes that was a bad reaction.

I remember Sharlyn, lovely lady, I used to see her in the Big Blue shop and drinking after, she looked after the Japanese. I was on the european\American side doing my Divemaster and assistant instructor, was there for 3 months, I left in 1999, i was saddened when i just heard she died 2004, not long after, certainly wouldn't dream of it being suicide. And very recently Michael dying. A very successful business, very popular when i was there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Ian Yarwood said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XNjnbN8I4HE

The untimely deaths of Yoshie “Sharlyn” Sazawa in June 2004 and her former de facto partner, Michael Spjuth in December 2021.

You keep pushing your narrative when there is nothing to find. Now you find a motor accident questionable. All the way from Australia. Your no lawyer your a fraud. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...