I'm in a New York state of Mind: What about you? (Hat's off to Billy Joel)

GammaGlobulin

In New York, they come from all over the world, and are welcome.

What about you?

Would you love to live in New York?

Some like BKK, too.

I do.

So many great cities around the world.

You cannot really say which is best, I guess.

But, this evening, I am, just, in a New York state of mind.

I LOVE my friends on TV.

And, I love my friends in NYC.

All GOOD!

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 2

NYC ... hell no, visited a couple times, no thanks.  Sure there's some lovely neighborhoods, but a bit too much for me.

Ex-Philly lad myself, and that was perfect size city.  Strangely, I really enjoy Krung Thep / Bangkok, the Island & riverside especially.  Now that I know it well, as hating it the first couple visits.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

NYC ... hell no, visited a couple times, no thanks.  Sure there's some lovely neighborhoods, but a bit too much for me.

Ex-Philly lad myself, and that was perfect size city.  Strangely, I really enjoy Krung Thep / Bangkok, the Island & riverside especially.  Now that I know it well, as hating it the first couple visits.

WOW, Man!

So am I.

I am from the Main Line!

30 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Well, if you prefer the Philly version of this tune from Bruce Springsteen, a man from Pennsylvania...

28 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

WOW, Man!

So am I.

I am from the Main Line!

Delaware County, lived in more than a few spots;  Sharon Hill, Collingdale, Prospect Park, Aston, Concordville and even Chester, though more investor there (Sec8), slum lord, rehabbing properties I owned till rented, there and SW Philly.

Saw Billy Joel one year after HS, so 1974 at Academy of Music / Philly, 2nd row seats.  Rather nice.

Edited by KhunLA

18 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Far too gaudy for UK Essex man me,  can't beat a night out in London..

1253678184_londonshit.jpg.4435a3f89fbb5ae1a6b9d34c627f309d.jpg

monk-rd-cover.jpg.d576431bb2a4441cc8e0d75b4f5b77da.jpg

We're from the Main Line, my Man.

We don't sleep on London Streets, in the rough.

Yeah, Baby......  This is what I am used to.

Still....Chiang Mai is....BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

localimagereader.ashx

• Haha 1

Being in the New York state of mind reminds me of the great ennui I experienced while living among the semi-wealthy.

I am far happier in Chiang Mai, for sure.

I will not live forever.

During the very short years I now have to look forward to, then, probably, the happiest way I might spend the time left to me would be to stay in Chiang Mai, and just enjoy this great culture.

And, we really never know how many more years are left to us, before we either get hit by a bus, or, possibly, die from one of so many other potential unforeseen consequences.

For example, you might be a captain on an ore boat, one day, and then be sucked down under Lake Superior the next day.......into a dark, cold and watery grave.

Who knows?

My New York State of Mind 06 October.

I'm on the subway platform with a hat, two masks, gloves, and wearing headphones.

A young woman approaches  with A CLIP BOARD, no required mask.

I take of my headphones "Yes?"

"Sir I'm working with disadvantaged children and I just wanna"

So I just turned my back to her and walked away as I would do in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Ho Chi Minh Hong Kong or any other place I find myself  assailed by this nonsense 50 times a day.

A few minutes later she comes to me again and says "That was very disrespectful overthere"

So I says to her I says "Again can I help you? Do you need a policeman? Do you need some kind of assistance? Do you need to make an emergency phone call I am minding my own business, YOU are scamming people on the subway and I AM being disrespectful? Why don't you go up to Times square and hassle some tourists?"

I just demand she respect my culture I don't talk to single women on the street with clipboards. AITA?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

My New York State of Mind 06 October.

I'm on the subway platform with a hat, two masks, gloves, and wearing headphones.

A young woman approaches  with A CLIP BOARD, no required mask.

I take of my headphones "Yes?"

"Sir I'm working with disadvantaged children and I just wanna"

So I just turned my back to her and walked away as I would do in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Ho Chi Minh Hong Kong or any other place I find myself  assailed by this nonsense 50 times a day.

A few minutes later she comes to me again and says "That was very disrespectful overthere"

So I says to her I says "Again can I help you? Do you need a policeman? Do you need some kind of assistance? Do you need to make an emergency phone call I am minding my own business, YOU are scamming people on the subway and I AM being disrespectful? Why don't you go up to Times square and hassle some tourists?"

I just demand she respect my culture I don't talk to single women on the street with clipboards. AITA?

Maybe, you should enlist in the Marines Corp.

Plenty of clipboards in the Marine Corp.

In the Marine Corp, there is no reason to talk to women sergeants.

They have the world best bagels and the worst Thai food there.

A bagel is $1.60

By the point you add scallion cream cheese, smoked nova salmon, capers, tomato, lettuce and onion

Now the bagel is $18.50. They are very busy you better check your order before leaving.

Been there three times in past seven weeks get one every time.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

monk-rd-cover.jpg.d576431bb2a4441cc8e0d75b4f5b77da.jpg

We're from the Main Line, my Man.

We don't sleep on London Streets, in the rough.

Yeah, Baby......  This is what I am used to.

Still....Chiang Mai is....BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

localimagereader.ashx 314.39 kB · 0 downloads

Be it ever so humble, theres no place like home, and a bag of traditional

fish and chips, in the ambience of an Essex seaside town.

347371249_jaywickshit.jpg.24706ed7028336387f4d3302fb94dec8.jpg

• Haha 2

It's up to you.

Would you choose to live in the insane Bush compound in Maine?

Or, would you opt to live in sanity, in Chiang Mai, with smiling and happy people all about you?

In Chiang Mai, one needs only to walk out one's door, in order to see smiling faces.

Sometimes, one might miss the excitement of New York, Philly, or mucking clams in Delaware.

Still, Chiang Mai is the place to be, if you wish to really be happy.

You don't need to think too much, here in Chiang Mai. 

After commuting to Manhattan for about 40 years , now that I am retired , If I never see NYC again it will be too soon. 

But to be fair.

Some people mentioned prices. And it could be  shocking to someone visiting there from a different market.

But it is  fair to mention that you  also make a lot more money in NYC , in the end it's a wash.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sirineou said:

After commuting to Manhattan for about 40 years , now that I am retired , If I never see NYC again it will be too soon. 

But to be fair.

Some people mentioned prices. And it could be  shocking to someone visiting there from a different market.

But it is  fair to mention that you  also make a lot more money in NYC , in the end it's a wash.  

What ever happened to this guy, anyway?

Michael_Rockefeller.jpg.499021a89ce26a4bdb45929aa85a4139.jpg

Better to live in NYC than to be boiled in a pot and eaten.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

So, anyway....

Why would someone leave a perfectly decent existence in some upscale community in Greenwich, CT, or on the Main Line, outside Philly,...for....a life of living among banana plants?

Simple.

It started with just one China Girl....

And, then...

One China girl led to another China girl.

And then...

It led to other Asian girls.

And now, thankfully, I am completely celibate...

And, finally, completely in control.

Edited by GammaGlobulin