Foreigners in Thailand warned about not wearing face masks

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, bluemoon58 said:

Absolute boll*cks! Thais are by far the worst culprits for all the above but the "dirty farang" are getting the blame again. TIT

That is not my impression in my area..... but it does seem fair to alert foreigners arriving in Thailand of the requirement, as mask wearing may well not be required or common where they originated from. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EricTh said:

Most Thai that I see on the streets do wear masks.  It's mostly the farang who don't like to wear masks.

There is a similar case in Malaysia who got fined for refusing to wear mask. She even called Malaysia a 'communist' country for mandating mask wearing.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2021/11/01/maskless-karen-fined

Ithink there is forgotten that in most western countries the wearing mask obligation is abolished due to many fully vaccinated people.. THan you come to acountry which has less effective vaccines, less than 50% fully vaccinated and yes, they are not aware that the country invites people when it is not ready

12 hours ago, ukrules said:

This is what happens when you advertise a country as being 'open' again when really it's just a lie.

The law regarding mask wearing should be made very clear on the website where you apply for your visa or 'entry pass' / whatever they're calling it this week, make it a checkbox that they acknowledge they know it's the law, that it is enforced and that there are large fines.

If everyone has to wear a mask why don't they look at the mask? Some are so thin and cheap that they could be made out of paper. Some people find it very hard to breathe with the good ones on. I have seen some workers yesterday laying drainage pipe with their masks on, this must be very hard for them. So there must be exceptions to the rule other than sit down eating, or driving in your car alone.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Masks do nothing, thankfully many Thais and farang are realizing this and taking the proper course of action or is that in-action....

Next time you go in for open heart surgery...I hope the surgeon and nurses don't follow your advice...cough, cough

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Can anyone find the "law" which dictates the mask mandate and associated penalties?

The Communicable Disease Act (2558) was modified (June 2564) to mention masks, but seemed to tie that to provinces, and local determination. It says something like:  people should wear a face mask when leaving their home, the penalty for not wearing a mask can result in up to 20,000 Baht fine

AFAIK, the BMA has mandated masks.

AFAIK, there is no law or statute.

The regime should clarify this matter, and publicize it for everyone, including citizens, migrant workers and tourists.

I expect most tourists think that if there is a mask requirement it does not apply to them.

Does it really matter? Whether or which its common sense. Don't complicate things. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

WHEN and ONLY when there is a LAW which states ALL should wear masks outside in Public Areas, I will comply , until then when I see at LEAST 50% of Thais ( including Officials  )NOT wearing mask, I will assume that this is a Racist Xenophobic utterance from a very silly person. 

You base your compliance to the law on the compliance of others? As far as I know, the law requiring mask wearing is not race specific here in Thailand....

Where are you seeing 50% of locals not wearing masks? Where I live and travel to (not far these days), they are being worn by nearly all. 

• Like 1

In the deep south, more precisely the southern border provinces, 99 percent of the people wear a mask outside. I do the same. It's a natural thing for me now and I don't want to stand out, when I stand out enough already, being one of very few farangs here.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RafPinto said:

2 vaccines before travelling, a negative test before travelling, a test, once you arrive in Thailand but they still accuse us of transmitting the virus.

Because even with all you mention transmission of the virus is still possible. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thai’s do tend to ask silly, clumsy and outright silly questions - its not because they are being judgemental, its just because in many cases they do not think before asking... its often harmless and quite amusing, especially when handled well...

IF a person (*Thai or otherwise) was silly enough to ask me if I have covid... I’d answer something like, yes, but only in the mornings !!!! 

Just like when all the aunties asked when we are going to have children (when my Wife and I got married), my Answer was usually something along the lines of 9am next Saturday. 

-----

Mask wearing indoors in public is fine...  be curious, walk to your table in a restaurant then take off the mask after being seated (put mask in pocket, not on the table).

Mask wearing in a busy outdoor market, 7-11, supermarket etc.. of course - thats common sense.

Mask wearing when riding a bicycle - no, not when exercising or outdoors in a quiet area (and definitely not when doing hard exercise). 

Theres an intelligent balance and while some people do not possess the common sense to apply an intelligent balance, most people do and are not judgemental to those exercising discretion and common sense. 

i.e. I do not wear a mask in my car with my Wife and Son... thats just silly - its one those regulations which is just too silly to be concerned with.

I do not wear a mask on my motorcycle when wearing a full face helmet.

I wear a mask on my motorcycle when wearing an open face helmet, but have it pulled down to my chin, so that my breath doest fog up the visor - its there just incase some BiB decides he’s going to chance things at the traffic lights. 

Very sensible and I agree with this. I have the same mask policy as you i.e. full face helmet = no mask, plastic bucket on head = mask on chin, exercise/jogging in a quiet area = no mask.