Foreigners in Thailand warned about not wearing face masks

snoop1130

17 hours ago, pattjock said:

What about all the Thai people not wearing masks?

Ummm.... it is their country? They live here? There we go again... foreigners coming to Thailand, thinking that everything is all about them and around them and they are the greatest. If a Thai doesn't wear a mask, then the foreigner too doesn't need it, right? If a Thai jumps off a cliff, the foreigner does what? Jump too? They come to visit Thailand and so they have to accept the rules. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, paul1804 said:

Thailand really knows how to put off visitors, the article should read.

It is Thailand law to wear a face mask and this applies to both citizens, residents & visitors, no exceptions. 

But instead they have to single out "foreigners" why would they do this if they really want people to visit. 

If they feel foreigner visitors are the bigger offenders then make it one of the stipulations on Thai pass so visitors are fully aware! 

Believe me, it already is.

I Can Explain It to You But I Can't Understand It for You

• Like 1

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

You sure about that?

Surgical masks reduce COVID-19 spread, large-scale study shows

A large, randomized trial led by researchers at Stanford Medicine and Yale University has found that wearing a surgical face mask over the mouth and nose is an effective way to reduce the occurrence of COVID-19 in community settings.

It also showed that relatively low-cost, targeted interventions to promote mask-wearing can significantly increase the use of face coverings in rural, low-income countries. Based on the results, the interventional model is being scaled up to reach tens of millions of people in Southeast Asia and Latin America over the next few months.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2021/09/surgical-masks-covid-19.html

Does not apply to the thin cloth masks i see most wearing i'm afraid.

1 minute ago, tomacht8 said:

The foreigners are often used as scapegoats here. Are to blame for plague and cholera. Are to blame that there is no more money. Are to blame for moral decline and much more. This is then always regularly injected into the minds of the normal population through the government-controlled media. Governments like to use this tactic to distract attention from their own wrongdoings. The dilemma, on the one hand the foreigner with his unloved presence, and on the other hand as a necessary evil to get his money.

If I felt like a Farang described above, I would not stay in Thailand.

10 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

The foreigners are often used as scapegoats here. Are to blame for plague and cholera. Are to blame that there is no more money. Are to blame for moral decline and much more. This is then always regularly injected into the minds of the normal population through the government-controlled media. Goverments like to use this tactic to distract attention from their own wrongdoings. The dilemma, on the one hand the foreigner with his unloved presence, and on the other hand as a necessary evil to get his money.

I don't think it's so much the media as voices only some farangs can hear.

image.png.f45c4ee4e35454999285155c0c48321a.png                                                                                                                 

One solution could be the tourist camps like in Australia now, with no masks. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Dr Apisamai said this behaviour had resulted in COVID-19 transmissions, without being more specific.

Does Anutin write  Dr Apisamai's speeches ? It sounds like his Xenophobic mind at work.  

Foreigners are being misled by the Thai Government saying the country is open. which it is not. The rules of entry have been relaxed a little, that is all. 

There are more Thais than foreigners not wearing masks and they should be setting a good example.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

which keeps prices down and allows the old codgers to live here instead of smelly old ferrlung land. yet they complain about the poor standards. oh the irony! ????

The coherence of that response leads me to suspect you may have fallen to the average level here yourself. ???? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, shackleton said:

I wear my face mask all the time  when out walking in my compound  or shopping down town its no big deal

I think myself it should be compulsory  for all to wear 

Won't be long before the UK  does make it compulsory 

as to what is happening in Germany and Austria  plus the arrival of winter 

How about Sweden?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

The foreigners are often used as scapegoats here. Are to blame for plague and cholera. Are to blame that there is no more money. Are to blame for moral decline and much more. This is then always regularly injected into the minds of the normal population through the government-controlled media. Goverments like to use this tactic to distract attention from their own wrongdoings. The dilemma, on the one hand the foreigner with his unloved presence, and on the other hand as a necessary evil to get his money.

Very well said. I have always felt barely tolerated as a "foreigner" in Thailand but i have long realized that its not personal. In conjunction  with government-controlled media etc,  its simply about a necessary evil to get my/our money. It doesn't stop me going to Thailand.  I suspect it will always be this way. It is, as you say, a dilemma.

6 hours ago, arick said:

Does that mean when your on the beach in Jomethian you were a mask.. I can see it now all these forgiener going home with a big white circle on the faces. 

Yes, yes, even swim with masks ????

it is okay to use your brain, and do as you do in Rome. If most people around you use mask, you use mask to, and if not, and maybe where it on the chin, you still should use mask. But if you stay on the beach? Sit on a restaurant, of course not. Even driving around in the village now, it is 50/50 of those who use masks now. 

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

While recently in the UK about 5-10% of people were wearing facemarks.. Life back to normal.

People still contracting covid, but vaccinated, not suffering serious symptoms, hospitals not being overwhelmed. 

Thailand advertises itself as open, it must be a surprise for the tourists to arrive and see a bunch of Thai’s in Hazmat suits !!! 

Realistically, wearing a mask is no biggie, its easy enough (when not exercising) I wore them in the UK recently when indoors at a shopping mall or supermarket), I’m happy to also wear a mask here, but I don’t when in my own car with my own family !!! (which is where some of the rules are just idiotic). 

BUT.... that does not detract from the utter hypocrisy and xenophobic tendencies in stories such as this.

- Everywhere I go, I see plenty of people not wearing masks. 

Go to a department store, a supermarket, a 7-11, everyone is wearing a mask. 

Walk down a street, not everyone is wearing a mask. 

I see Thai’s and foreigners not wearing masks... These headlines, these articles imply it is only foreigners who would be so offensive and behave so outrageously....   

What I cannot understand is the Thais wear a mask when riding a motorcycle at 100 kilo per hour just in case the virus is traveling at that speed just to outrun it .but no crash hat afraid of a virus at 100 k an hour but not comming off without a crash hat what a load of wallies .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moti24 said:

The wearing of masks seems only to be policed (Pun) in Bangkok and the other tourist areas.  Yet, only a few kms outside these areas, it's quite obvious that the usual percentage of Thais think laws don't really apply to them.  I suspect that the real risk to covid spreading is in these outlying areas.

If this mask rule is going to work, perhaps it would be a good idea to include everybody.

Because Covid is an issue in rural areas?  I don't live in Bangkok but hard to believe they take it as serious as rural Thailand.  It is extremely rare to see Thais not wearing a mask in groups in all the places I've been.  You can drive down a road and see what you want and not sure which one of us is delusional.  We see what we want to see is what this pandemic has taught me.