Foreigners in Thailand warned about not wearing face masks

snoop1130

17 minutes ago, ronster said:

Most of the tourists I seen on Sunday evening in an area of samui were not wearing masks while walking around or arriving at restaurants in minivan’s. Then add to that the photos online of the full moon party with just about everyone not wearing masks . Might be why they had 50 new infections In phangan the other day .

On November 19th Koh Phangan reported 185 cases. Koh Phangan Hospital facebook page a good source of the situation and report cases daily. 

• Like 1

In my neck of the woods I'm seeing more Thais wearing a mask now than I ever had since this show begun.

I don't wear a mask in the car on my bike or when I'm cycling - I have a limit to sensible compliance.

I do wear a mask in public (indoor/outdoor) places as we all should, regardless of the debatable effectiveness they provide.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kiteman9 said:

I have been pedaling my bike every day around my village far away from people without a mask since Covid 19 started. The Thai Department of Health advises against wearing a face mask when exercising. You are not getting enough oxygen into your lungs and heart, so your body has to work harder, which is more dangerous. When I'm close to people I put my mask on.

Same same.  Every day around sundown I pedal my ex Japanese postman bike through the rice fields here.

1 mile to Ban Hoi .  I see the same folk most days and they are jogging or walking , we nod and most are maskless like me.  Oddest thing is it never seems to rain around bike time.

Thailand really knows how to put off visitors, the article should read.

It is Thailand law to wear a face mask and this applies to both citizens, residents & visitors, no exceptions. 

But instead they have to single out "foreigners" why would they do this if they really want people to visit. 

If they feel foreigner visitors are the bigger offenders then make it one of the stipulations on Thai pass so visitors are fully aware! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DjSilver said:

What about the stupid people riding a motorbike with only face masks and no helmet? Smart Thai people ????????????

Yep , always good for conversation when one is trying to drink coffee through a mask. Just yesterday when out having a maskless coffee 3 lads on a motorbike went past , the one driving looked about 10 , no masks between them and no hats. Which of these 3 items is the worse ( Rhetorical ).

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

Saw article (but not in English) that masks were 53% effective in preventing transmission and distancing about 20 something %. Not sure where they got that article from, it was posted 2 days ago with title (translated) "How effective are masks against COVID, really?". I'm sure it's not their article, as they keep reposting stuff from other agencies, but it's from one of largest media companies in Europe.

Adding link in English to that: https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart/2021/11/18/mask-wearing-cuts-new-covid-19-cases-by-53-its-the-best-public-health-measure-against-the-virus-study-finds/?sh=4eadd20f12ab

17 hours ago, ukrules said:

This is what happens when you advertise a country as being 'open' again when really it's just a lie.

The law regarding mask wearing should be made very clear on the website where you apply for your visa or 'entry pass' / whatever they're calling it this week, make it a checkbox that they acknowledge they know it's the law, that it is enforced and that there are large fines.

Thailand is open. I know this isn't a lie because I re-entered 12 days ago.

The lack of mask wearing by the new arrivals is probably the result of the same westerners gradually ignoring any mask rules in their home countries or their government's relaxing these requirements. As for not paying attention to the existing rules that apply here, it's hard to educate those that are just too stupid to read and observe. Mask wearing is stressed at every point of the trip to Thailand from the departure airport, during the flight to getting cleared into your AQ hotel. Once there, you see everyone wearing a mask and signage saying that these are required. The mask wearing by the locals is self-evident.

I have been in England for the past 2 months and the lack of mask wearing in public was notable. Since there's a growing fear of the UK following the rest of Europe into the 4th wave this winter, my friends in the UK have recently commented that they are seeing more mask wearing in public (in the last 2 weeks or so).

You don't need laws or rules. You just need common sense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I am in the US right now, and a minority of people are wearing masks outdoors. Thailand happens to be one of the most fearful and paranoid nations around,

Let's all not forget Thai people  (most?) believe in literal ghosts and spirits. COVID has become just another evil spirit to them. RIP normal life in Thailand for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mahtin said:
1 hour ago, Clarkey611 said:

They are mandatory on the plane.

Wouldn't be too hard to announce on the plane the fact that masks are mandatory in the Kingdom .

Maybe an IQ test should be an integral part of the ThailandPass application as well?

• Like 2

Enforcement would obviously be skewed towards foreigners because when you walk the streets of Bangkok it's a foreigner who you are likely to see not earing a mask at all... the profile is fairly straight forward -- white, poorly dressed in circa 1990s cargo shorts, overweight, 55+ years old, with a scowl on their face. Just pointing out the obvious. It's not that hard to be a good guest of the Kingdom, and if you can't do that then maybe try a different country

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Wearing a mask should, IMO be optional, allowing the individual to make his or hers own risk assessment according to the circumstances they find themselves in.

Doing a 'risk assessment' on yourself is easy. Have you tried doing one on behalf of the people you come across?

• Like 1