Thailand reopening: Deceitful hotels tricking tourists are "letting the country down and damaging its image"

webfact

7 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

I went to Koh Larn a few weeks ago. The blue pickup truck wanted 600 baht to take two people to the next beach. 

Motorcycle taxi was asking the same amount. 

They have learned nothing from the pandemic. And those who were ripping people off before, will do the same again.  

I think it was 250 baht to hire a bike for the day, last time I was there. 100 to 200 baht any trip for 3 of us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I booked Radisson (Ratchada) as an SHA+ booking....   (fully refundable up to the day before)

That makes a big difference. My booking was standard cancellation and became partially refundable before the Oct 1st changes were announced.

This comes as no surprise to many seasoned expats who live here. Thais will if given the chance do anything to buck systems, inflate prices and generally scam tourists. 

Before it went noticed but no problem with over 30 million tourists a year, NOW it is news because Topurists are obeying the Governmental edicts and the Hotels know this so they can scam but this time they are being fopund out.

perhaps hotels that do this should be immediately removed from SHA listing and treated as pariahs, they will soon learn. ...maybe, but that is logical.

• Like 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Usually, in situations such as this Agoda are very fair and provide refunds. 

I wouldn't have normally disputed that, been with them many years.

There isn't any precedent for "situations like this".

I am not going to go into detail but several problems arose and the intransigence was unbelievable. 

5 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

My friend, top earner, is the tourist TAT dreams of. He only books top hotels, visits the best seafood restaurants and spends a lot of money.

Now his girlfriend comes flown in. He booked a room for himself and his girlfriend for 4 nights for 3040 Baht per night. In addition, for the first night of quarantine a SHA + room in the same hotel for 11900 Baht including transfer and PCR.

Sure that he did the math for himself.

11900 - 3040 = 8860 Baht

room paid.

8860 - 2600 = 6260 Baht

PCR test paid

6260 - 700 = 5560 Baht

VIP transfer (BKK -Asoke)paid.

Now he asks himself for what service he paid the 5560 baht?

That's $ 170 US. additional expenditure without an additional, specified service. He takes it easy, but it sticks in the head of a tourist for a long time.

I would love to have seen their reaction if you took these figures to the manager and asked them to explain them to you. It would have been priceless to see them squirm.

• Like 1

Rather than just saying these hotels are letting down the image of the country, they should close them down or at least remove them from the Thailand pass process.

Why isn't that being done, oh probably the brown envelope virus.

I totally agree about mask wearing, fine the buggers kick them out and put them on the visa blacklist, arrogant tossers.

I have to wear a mask when I go shopping, show some respect for the law.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Gotta make money somehow. Underhand sneakiness at its best to drain the walking Foreigner seen as nothing but an ATM.

Used to be a regular article written in a Pattaya magazine, headed "The Walking Wallet" had some great stories.

2 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

1) There's no such thing  in Thailand as a 'set price', especially not for taxis

2) Motorcycle rental was double that

3) Yes, that's what they asked for five minute journey

As I said, Thais see tourists returning and dollar signs light up in their eyes. Taxis in Bangkok are up to the same tricks again. 

Set price? The law is that lottery must cost Baht 80 each. Try and get one at that price. Just an example.

3 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

I didn't come when it was 14 days quarantine or 7 days, but when they said Thailand was opening back up I was really excited to return.

To see everything in Pattaya closed, masks mandatory everywhere, no groups allowed, no drinking except on the curb and huge fines for any offense. How is that open, in my country, that's a pretty serious Lockdown!

Add on all the well publicized scams for hotel, taxi and insurance

Return to 'Amazing Thailand' is just getting further and further away in my mind (only need to come back to sort my condo).

Got it in one! ????

8 hours ago, Guderian said:

What a weird article. It starts off as clickbait with a headline purportedly showing the authorities are on the side of foreigners being exploited by unscrupulous Thai businesses, yet no solution to the problem is mentioned so presumably nothing will be done about it other than a bit of moaning for show, no fines or enforcement measures are discussed. Then in no time at all, of course, we're back to complaints about foreigners in hotels not wearing face masks (sorry, I meant dirty foreigners) and how much they should be fined for such perfidy. If Thailand and/or Asean Now think that this kind of approach is going to win the hearts and minds of all those dirty foreigners thinking of a visit in the next few months, they really need to think again.

It's about unscrupulous profit - in one manipulated manner or another - from the guilty parties of your mention above. 

9 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

They have learned nothing from the pandemic. And those who were ripping people off before, will do the same again.  

Should have an app where you can snap their license and upload it and after a few warnings they get a suspension..yes, there has always been a bit of negotiation with rides historically but when its an out-and-out rip-off it would be good to have something to fall back on to take this conning <deleted>s down a notch

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Usually, in situations such as this Agoda are very fair and provide refunds. 

Last year I booked a ‘non-refundable’ long weekend stay (4 nights) through Agoda (a good deal).... then the hotel e-mailed to inform that due to Covid-19 new government regulations meant the pool would be closed, that the main restaurant would close (room service only).

I cancelled and asked for a refund. The hotel and agoda said no-refund as per terms and conditions. 

I argued that the terms and conditions had changed (pool closed / restaurant closed).

Agoda Cash (i.e. a Agoda voucher to spend within 6 months) was offered... I rejected this on the grounds that I’d not purchased with a voucher, I’d used credit card.

Agoda agreed to refund to my credit card - I’ve used them numerous times since, but I’m not keen on the way they make us ‘fight’ for reasonable service / conditions. 

They all are doing it , and it is  most annoying.

My airline cancelled my flight home to another Continent  as covid arrived and when I requested a refund they gave very convincing reasons as to why I should take a 'credit' , most logical of all being if everyone took the money back option the airline could fold and nobody would be paid .

Since that had happened to me long before I took  the credit option and a voucher number was issued which I duly recorded.

When I recently bought a new flight with the same airline to the same place  I was greeted with a welcoming pop-up and a good deal of my fields already completed.

Nice .

But when I clicked on  the voucher number box  , it did not fill in  automatically , even though the airline issued the number ( about 20 digits long ) to me . 

Instead , another pop-up informed me I would have to 'apply' to get my  credit ( ie  in the form of the voucher number ) if I didnt know it to enter the box.

As if THEY didnt know it ...

So everything was done to facilitate my purchase of a new ticket ,  but little  effort was made toward refunding my thousand dollars they had held interest free for near 2 years.

Nice one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1