Thailand reopening: Deceitful hotels tricking tourists are "letting the country down and damaging its image"

webfact

5 hours ago, internationalism said:

out of 35 AQ hotels, only one send me their full policies and they were the best in comparison to all the other hotels.

Around half hotels did not reply to my enquiries.

There are multiple issues facing a tourist, which hotels might take advantage and deceive potential guests.

I was deceived by villa khaosan.

One is waiting time at the airport for transport to hotel or to hospital fos testing. Most claim, that their drivers are at standby at the airport. That is not true. Drivers might be anywhere in town and you need some 45 minutes waiting in a crowded arrival hall for them to arrive. Most of those drivers don't speak english, so that is another problem with finding them.

As same reported, hotels would rather send a minibus to pick up many guests, instead of individually picking them in sedan cars, for their own safety. Private transport is offered at cost. Some mentioned 1500b additional charge.

The second is waiting time for test. Some claim very short time 6-8h or even 4-6h, but in practise it's 18h, in some cases 28h (richard barrow experienced it himself). Even after the test is ready, hotel reception doesn't always inform about results. They try to keep their guests locked in and ordering overpriced food from their restaurants.

My breakfast was served at 10:30 am, but supposed to be served at 7am and was cooked earlier on or even the previous day and kept in the fridge. Such food is barely eatable. So only around time of check out they bring you food, after some 10-20h of fasting. They know very well, that guests are forced to buy their food.

Another are very harsh amend and cancellation policies. Some hotels need an amend minimum a week in advance and charge 1000b for each one.

Some need many weeks for cancellation. Most don't give refunds on cancellation, even if price included pcr test (2400b) and transport from the airport. Some only 50%. Some charge 3-10% operational fees.

That is becoming their clear additional profit.

That's probably only a tip of an iceberg what is happening with this project. 

Bet, that corruption money is involved, same as with ASQ and ALQ projects earlier on.

Thailand, hub of AQ scammers

Lol would never let that happen to me I’ll raise hell short of pounding their heads into the cement, if we let it go which is exactly what they think is going to happen then year your the sucker learn to fight back

2 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Not sure I have been to as many hotels in Thailand as some here but I have certainly been to quite a few over the years. I have never been cheated as far as I know.

The situation prevailing right now is that certain hotels have been allocated the business of Quarantining and generally managing tourists during this covid time and it seems to me they are simply taking advantage; well, alright, ripping people off, who are effectively being held to ransom due to their already-burdened guests, being stressed out and therefore more vulnerable.

It is nevertheless very bad business practice and won't help in the long run when visitors ultimately return in reasonable numbers.

I think in ‘some cases’ (especially early on in the ‘Test and Go’) system some hotels were publicising themselves as ‘SHA+’ while not offering the PCR test or the Airport transfer. 

A lot of people were booking the SHA+ hotel, then getting stung for the extra costs of the PCR test and Airport tax on arrival. 

Or worse, ‘some people’ were booking an SHA+ hotel, then getting refused entry at Suvarnabumi because their package did not include a PCR test (which was then a whole mess to clear up). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your point being what, that it is okay to charge abhorrent prices.  I just went to a nice restaurant with the GF in Bangkok. Menu in Thai one price one in English different prices. Told the waitress I would order from the Thai menu and I told her this in Thai. She picked up the English menu and never said a word 

Uh-huh......that's one way of getting around it. 

I trust that did check the bill total? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think in ‘some cases’ (especially early on in the ‘Test and Go’) system some hotels were publicising themselves as ‘SHA+’ while not offering the PCR test or the Airport transfer. 

A lot of people were booking the SHA+ hotel, then getting stung for the extra costs of the PCR test and Airport tax on arrival. 

Or worse, ‘some people’ were booking an SHA+ hotel, then getting refused entry at Suvarnabumi because their package did not include a PCR test (which was then a whole mess to clear up). 

I've been checking them out on Agoda myself this morning as it looks like I'm going to have to book a 1 night package, unless something changes rapidly?  The ones that clearly state that the required PCR test, transport etc, all start at about £100.  However, there are some starting at about £58 that whilst they clearly state that they are SHA+ and display the logo, make no reference to the requisites?  I presume these are typical of the ones being described and whilst I would possibly expect it from a hotel link from some dodgy independent website, I would have expected a bit more from Agoda?  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Trip Hop said:

I've been checking them out on Agoda myself this morning as it looks like I'm going to have to book a 1 night package, unless something changes rapidly?  The ones that clearly state that the required PCR test, transport etc, all start at about £100.  However, there are some starting at about £58 that whilst they clearly state that they are SHA+ and display the logo, make no reference to the requisites?  I presume these are typical of the ones being described and whilst I would possibly expect it from a hotel link from some dodgy independent website, I would have expected a bit more from Agoda?  

TAT say Hotel has to be SHA++ now

"A confirmed payment for a 1-night stay at a SHA Extra Plus (SHA++)*  accommodation, and 1 RT-PCR test."

https://www.tatnews.org/2021/10/thailand-reopening-exemption-from-quarantine-test-go/

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

I went to Koh Larn a few weeks ago. The blue pickup truck wanted 600 baht to take two people to the next beach. 

Motorcycle taxi was asking the same amount. 

They have learned nothing from the pandemic. And those who were ripping people off before, will do the same again.  

Whats new , it's how they do business in Thailand and always will, they will never learn.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

Really  are you sure??? That's strange because Im there 3 times a week and it's a set price , prices are on the board. Usually between 20 to 40 baht. Motorcycle rent start 150.baht for the day, so saying they are charging 600 just for a 5 minutes motorbike taxi is very hard to belive.

Wake up mate. They will try it on every time if they think you are a tourist. It's like the old "broken Taxi meter" trick

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Top hotel? ????

So far for a single traveler:

In BKK Terminal 21. Grand Deluxe high Floor 48sqm for 4600 per night.

Phuket Vijitt Resort Deluxe Villa 70 sqm with seaview for 3600 per night.

Koh Phangan Santhiya Pool Suite 53 sqm with seaview for 3300 per night.

For me, these are hotels at the top end. Would like to know in which hotel / accommodation you are staying. 555

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, kuzmabruk said:

Most expats in Thailand who are not employed, came here for warmth and a little pussy along with affordable rent and food.   I don’t understand why, in this forum, people complain so much.   I have 24 years in country and nothing has changed.   Prices have gone up and the girls are fatter but the Thai people remain the same - predominantly uneducated farmer types with zero knowledge of the outside world and zero business sense.  But the immigration department and transportation systems have both improved dramatically.   Love the ignorance and the weather and food that comes it.   Happy as hell where I am and why aren’t you?   Maybe because you have spent your life whining like a little bi+ch.  

Lucky <deleted>, i am out and cannot get back.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Was searching on Agoda for Test and Go hotels last night.  Nice hotels usually around $250-300 cdn including RT-PCR test, etc.  Found a very nice Bangkok hotel under the Thailand Pass search.  It said $72 cdn.  What a deal I thought.  Chose my room only to find there is a huge surcharge at the bottom of the page making the price well over $300 cdn (8000+ baht).  Luckily I looked closely.  I'm sure the odd person would have clicked Purchase on a non refundable room rate more than they may have thought.

Edited by AlexCanada

13 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

I went to Koh Larn a few weeks ago. The blue pickup truck wanted 600 baht to take two people to the next beach. 

Motorcycle taxi was asking the same amount. 

They have learned nothing from the pandemic. And those who were ripping people off before, will do the same again.  

It's called catch up time.

8 hours ago, outsider said:

Only done by a few hotels??? Even your politicians are in it, not just the hotels! The scamming and unfavourably targeting tourists and foreigners, that is.

As for 'many foreigners', how many is many? Also, when your politicians say Thailand is 'open', did they understand what 'open' means?

Open at a price...

I'll pass the happy news to my US friends who are waiting (indefinitely if need be) for Thailand to resume a semblance of sanity and across-the-board customer service revamp back to Old Normal before they consider ever returning.  Thailand has a rep for ripping off tourist and now it's becoming downright deceitful in place that tourist used to trust.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

That's what the SHA+ certification was supposed to mean. Since Phuket opened 1 July, transport and PCR were required to be pre-paid through the hotel or you wouldn't get a COE.

As these were SHA+ hotel bookings approved for a Thailand Pass, it's not "pretty dumb" guests as you say, the hotels should be banned from the program and guests refunded the extra costs

That's not true anymore. You can book your sha+ hotel with Agoda (many with free cancelation), then get a SHABA certificate from the hotel and then pay online the PCR test at the airport via the PSAS site.  You don't need the hotel or the PCR test to be prepaid beforehand to get a TP QR code. The airport transfers can be prepaid with the hotel or you can get sha+ taxi at the airport.

If you emailed the hotel and they don't give you a SHABA certificate within 48 hours just cancel the booking and book another hotel.

Of course if you want someone to "package" this,  they'll add extra charges, how big are the charges, depends how greedy they are.

I didn't packaged anything and paid total of 10k baht for 7 days sandbox stay (4 star hotel with breakfast included + PCR + airport transfer).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kuzmabruk said:

Most expats in Thailand who are not employed, came here for warmth and a little pussy along with affordable rent and food.   I don’t understand why, in this forum, people complain so much.   I have 24 years in country and nothing has changed.   Prices have gone up and the girls are fatter but the Thai people remain the same - predominantly uneducated farmer types with zero knowledge of the outside world and zero business sense.  But the immigration department and transportation systems have both improved dramatically.   Love the ignorance and the weather and food that comes it.   Happy as hell where I am and why aren’t you?   Maybe because you have spent your life whining like a little bi+ch.  

Soo true nothing has changed except price. Lived in LOS for 31 years and in my opinion it always been this way. Left for good 4 years ago. Still got house - land there but in the moment it makes no sense to go visit. 

9 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

I didn't come when it was 14 days quarantine or 7 days, but when they said Thailand was opening back up I was really excited to return.

To see everything in Pattaya closed, masks mandatory everywhere, no groups allowed, no drinking except on the curb and huge fines for any offense. How is that open, in my country, that's a pretty serious Lockdown!

Add on all the well publicized scams for hotel, taxi and insurance

Return to 'Amazing Thailand' is just getting further and further away in my mind (only need to come back to sort my condo).

Seems like Phuket is very open while Pattaya is a ghost town.  Why i ask